Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Former MSE Debs
    Real-life MMD: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?
    • 9th Nov 12, 12:48 PM
    Real-life MMD: Should I pay to see my girlfriend? 9th Nov 12 at 12:48 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?

My girlfriend's recently moved away to study. Though I want to see her on weekends, it's not cheap to travel. I've suggested we go halves, since I normally pay the fare to go to her, but she thinks she shouldn't contribute as I'm earning and she's not. However, I don't earn much and while I know she's worse off than me, I think it's a little unfair I should effectively pay to see her.

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 13-11-2012 at 4:41 PM.
Page 5
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 18th Nov 12, 7:20 PM
    • 9,506 Posts
    • 12,094 Thanks
    Find someone local, these long distance things rarely work.
    Originally posted by johnny_storm
    * ahem * My Mrs and I have been married for 11 years, known each other for 17.

I would have got a short sentence for robbing the local shop
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 21st Nov 12, 12:30 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    There are plenty of long distant student relationships with this problem.

Of course you should share the cost - but given the pitiful amount students are expected to live on, 50/50 hardly seems fair.

Saying that you are 'paying to see your girlfriend' smacks of quite a bad attitude to a common situation- do you really see it like that? It also implies that somehow you feel she is responsible for this extra expense and inconvenience in your life and that you somewhat resent her for it.

If your relationship isn't worth the effort and expense to you, then end it. However, I am sure that if you discussed it with her - and came to a reasonable agreement as to the proportion of this extra expense that you now have to cover - things will be resolved.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

1,788Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @arlenephillips: I use mine. Hate making long calls on mobile.

• PS the pigs in my new profile pic are not a political comment (read that as you will!)

• New profile picture for the first time in two years - older, and finally given in to putting a jacket on.

• Follow Martin