IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Real-life MMD: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?
Closed Thread
Views: 10,594
# 41
Barryfan
Old 14-11-2012, 1:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My daughter met her other half when they both worked abroad. They returned to England and lived about 200 miles apart along the south coast. They took it in turns to visit each other (not every weekend). They were both in work but neither of them were earning big money. They moved in together eventually, and are getting married next year. The moral? if you want to be together you will work things out. Talk to her, and make compromises - it really shouldn't be about money and who pays for what! P.S. If I were her, I would be very hurt if I found out you'd asked strangers what they thought instead of talking to me about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barryfan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
lorena
Old 14-11-2012, 1:29 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My boyfriend and I are from opposite ends of the country. We live together now but there was a point last year where my Friday nights were spent at an airport, either waiting for him or waiting to get on a flight to London. I was unemployed for a few months and he was working. He paid for a few flights, he offered though - I didn't ask him to. We always managed to find cheap flights and I scraped together what money I could for trains/planes etc and if he paid for flights I would pay for food etc.
I'd be really annoyed if my bf had said to me 'I'll come and see you but only if you pay half for it'. If you love each other then you'll find a way to make it work. Maybe see each other every 2 weeks if money is tight.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorena For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
leoncub
Old 14-11-2012, 1:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Whilst I do agree with the general consensus here (if it's real love, cost shouldn't be an issue), I do wonder what the response would have been if the person asking the MMD question here was a woman rather than a man?

I can't help but notice a lot of harsh comments such as "man up", "if you don't visit her, there'll be plenty of other blokes to take your place", "let her breathe", "you're only visiting for sex", etc. I do think things would have been put to the questioner a lot more sympathetically if they were female.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leoncub For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
TopQuark
Old 14-11-2012, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorena View Post
My boyfriend and I are from opposite ends of the country. We live together now but there was a point last year where my Friday nights were spent at an airport, either waiting for him or waiting to get on a flight to London.
Yes, I understand this feeling. My partner is French and we met when we both worked in the Philippines. He then returned to France and I stayed on before returning to the UK. He eventually moved to the UK but then lost his job and relocated to Switzerland. Two years later I joined him and we're both here now. We've spent thousands of pounds traveling around the world to see each other. If it's meant to be, you just get on with it. C'est la vie!
Remember Occam's Razor - the simplest explanation is usually the right one.

32 and mortgage-free
The Following User Says Thank You to TopQuark For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
Primrose
Old 14-11-2012, 1:58 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If it's a really serious relationship which you think will last the test of time you may have to agree to limit your visits but both of you should investigate other options like using Skype to keep in touch, and advertising locally at both ends for car lifts or petrol sharing schemes to reduce travelling costs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Primrose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
hummingbird
Old 14-11-2012, 2:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, you don't say how far apart you actually are - my boyfriend is living and working overseas at the moment - I last saw him at the end of August and I won't see him again til Christmas!

I would say cut down the visits to every other weekend, also perhaps she can come to see you once a month or so instead of you always doing all the travelling.

I would just say, it will probably be a test of your relationship!! You don't say how long you've been together or how serious the relationship is - all these things make a difference.

Hummingbird
30 a day extra in Nov234/900 CC 57/1500
Sealed Pot#133 started 08/11/13 Target 1000x2 from Sue BANKED 200.[/B]
PAD started 20/08/14 total 181.60
Christmas Party fund: 22.29
The Following User Says Thank You to hummingbird For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
lutzi1
Old 14-11-2012, 2:22 PM

Sorry to be harsh, but on the basis of this posting she's better off without you.
Hope is not a strategy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lutzi1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
portia88
Old 14-11-2012, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default moral dilemma

Isn't one, as far as I can see. When I was first going out with my (now ex) husband, I came down from London nearly every weekend to see him. Wouldn't have crossed my mind to get him to pay/contribute to my fare, even though he earnt loads more than me.

Mind you it never occured to him to offer, either. Partly explains why he's my ex!

Go once a month and do something else the other weekends - that way you'll have more to talk about when you do meet up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to portia88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
joehoover
Old 14-11-2012, 2:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Some things are priceless, people in a loving relationship is and they would't consider the cost, and if it was a problem they would find other ways to communicate in this day and age.

If you don't want to pay then this relationship is going nowhere and you best broach that subject first. The fact she is studying now will open up many avenues, you may soon be part of an old life.

If it's worth hanging onto you wouldn't be asking the question about money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joehoover For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
sarossa
Old 14-11-2012, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile share share share!

my partner lives in the north of England, I live in Sardinia, two isolated areas in their own way. We both have an income albeit mine steadier and enough for me to live, travel to the US every couple of years to see family and of course spend my holidays in England. He can travel more often and - depending on the availability of cheap flights and cheap coaches/trains - comes to see me every month or every couple of months...with this regime it would be impossible not to share travel expenses, and everything else for that matter....the only thing we don't share are the house bills, neither here nor there, as we see each other for two-week spells or maximum for a month in summer....managing our expenses this way has helped us maintain a very long and tricky distance relationship alive and kicking for 4-years and more....in my opinion traveling expenses are different from getting treated to a night out or receiving an impromptu present...which is always very pleasant indeed!
The Following User Says Thank You to sarossa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
clairewych
Old 14-11-2012, 3:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via Yahoo to clairewych
Default Once a month?

My boyfriend is a student and I work, I am better off than him but not by much. Up until recently, we lived about 180 miles apart, it took 3-4 hours to drive or 7-9 hours on public transport. Because I could drive and the fact that work often took me close to home I asked that he simply committed to seeing me once a month/6 weeks and I would go to see him the rest of the time. For me it was the fact that he was willing to make that commitment to keep up our relationship even though it meant a full day of travel that meant I was happy to pay to go see him.

Perhaps you should clarify how often she plans on returning home and see if you can get her to commit to coming back occasionally to see you. And just a passing observation, the 5 years that I was a student (working part time) saw me with much more disposable income than when I first started working!!
The Following User Says Thank You to clairewych For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
pennypinchUK
Old 14-11-2012, 3:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There's a statistic that says the large majority of couples split up during or after the 1st term when one moves away to study. No doubt you don't want to hear that right now, but if you want to see her why not pay up. If your relationship goes the way of most others in your situation you won't be paying out for travel costs for too long.
The Following User Says Thank You to pennypinchUK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
duchy
Old 14-11-2012, 3:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I suspect you didn't go to uni yourself or you'd realize that normal couples where one is at uni simply don't see each other every weekend. Partly because of cost and partly because uni has so much going on it isn't fair to "book" your partner for every weekend.

Why does it *have* to be every weekend anyway....is one of you very needy ?

Frankly it seems you are more worried about money than her......so probably best to let it go (It did strike me that if you are normally "careful" with your money -she *might* be using the "who pays" issue as an excuse to dump you)
I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

Apparently having a "Quirky and Hipster" wedding
The Following User Says Thank You to duchy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
nanstallon
Old 14-11-2012, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If she has facilities for cooking where she is, money can be saved that way. If you're interested in her, you'll take the travel costs on the chin unless you literally can't afford the fares. When I was a student, I used to hitch hike in the pursuit of true love, and it was often quicker than the train, but in today's rather mean spirited atmosphere, hitching has ceased to be a viable means of getting around.
The Following User Says Thank You to nanstallon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
tks
Old 14-11-2012, 3:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Try less frequent visits, they'll suit your budget and will probably be more fun. Why not use skype or a similar communication system for a regular one-to one get together? As a money saving expert contributor you should be able to find the best travel deals. Coaches are slow but inexpensive. Many of us had to cope with financial and social restraints when young. I'm sure that you'll survive somehow.

Last edited by tks; 14-11-2012 at 3:51 PM. Reason: Grammar!
The Following User Says Thank You to tks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
Fujiko
Old 14-11-2012, 3:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzi1 View Post
Sorry to be harsh, but on the basis of this posting she's better off without you.
My own thoughts exactly! Whatever happened to romance?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fujiko For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
Maat
Old 14-11-2012, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default What about her costs?

Yes, you'd be paying the travel fares but she'll have costs associated with your visits too. I'm assuming she won't let you starve while you're there, so she'll have to buy more food. There'll be more washing up, more toilet roll use and so on. Also she'll be paying extra for fuel while you're there, as well as water if she's on a meter. Having someone to stay in your home costs so I'd say it probably about evens out and, as you say yourself, she doesn't earn so it's probably going to be harder for her.

Just make sure you get the cheapest travel deal and, if you can, plan well ahead to get the best prices.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Maat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
newcook
Old 14-11-2012, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Steele View Post
When my father was first going out with my mother, now his wife of 52 years, she was living in Paris and because he couldn't afford the kind of hotel that would allow him back in late at night, he slept under bridges to avoid missing out on his time with her.

That's dedication: if she looks like a keeper, then make some sacrifices.

This is so lovely and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside what a romantic story to be able to pass down through the generations!!

I hope they are still as loved up now as they were back then!!

OP you dont say how far you have to travel or how long you have been together. From the sounds of it though, the relationship isnt going to last the distance (excuse the pun!)
The Following User Says Thank You to newcook For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
Gillsx
Old 14-11-2012, 4:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Are you for real? You're really not bothered about her if you ask this question. Someone in love and wanting to see the person they are in a relationship with wouldn't be moaning about the cost, but thinking about how to make it more cost effective. No she shouldn't pay half......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gillsx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
happyinflorida
Old 14-11-2012, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If this is the way you're thinking then I think she'd be better off without you.

She's not earning and you are but you want her to pay half of your travel costs.

I do hope she's realised what a complete louse you are and has finished with you by now.

I wouldn't encourage any daughter of mine to go out with someone like you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to happyinflorida For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread