IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Real-life MMD: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?
Views: 10,456
# 1
MSE Debs
Old 09-11-2012, 12:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Real-life MMD: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pay to see my girlfriend?

My girlfriend's recently moved away to study. Though I want to see her on weekends, it's not cheap to travel. I've suggested we go halves, since I normally pay the fare to go to her, but she thinks she shouldn't contribute as I'm earning and she's not. However, I don't earn much and while I know she's worse off than me, I think it's a little unfair I should effectively pay to see her.

Click reply to have your say

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Debs; 13-11-2012 at 4:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Debs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
mazz1953
Old 13-11-2012, 6:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Do you really need to see her every weekend? If you went once a month, then you would be able to afford it yourself.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mazz1953 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
DKLS
Old 13-11-2012, 6:42 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Man up, if you dont like paying dump her, if you do want to see her put some effort there is plenty of tips and advice on here on how to minimise travelling costs.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to DKLS For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Dasa
Old 13-11-2012, 6:46 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As you're earning and she isn't it's unfair to expect her to go halves.
Perhaps if you can't afford it don't go every weekend, go say every other weekend. She could pay for a meal for you both now and again to compensate.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dasa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MothballsWallet
Old 13-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

When my wife was still my girlfriend, we often didn't see each for a year or more - we kept in touch by letter and phone and saw each other as and when we could.
Always ask yourself one question: What would MothballsWallet do?
14/09/1954: Remember Totskoye
MbW v UK Gov: Successful, still waiting for an answer to my complaint
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MothballsWallet For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
bylromarha
Old 13-11-2012, 9:10 PM

If it's a casual thing, dump her.

If it's a serious relationship or got the potential to be, then talk to her about it rather than ask the internet. Good communication is vital in a good relationship.
Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to bylromarha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
mayling03
Old 14-11-2012, 2:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Depending on where both your locations are. Try Megabus/mega train, split ticketing on trains and booking at least 3 months in advance
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mayling03 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
xXMessedUpXx
Old 14-11-2012, 2:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'd say go halves. I'm currently not working but my bf is, but i still give him money for train fare, and i also bought him a railcard (1/3 off!), however he always comes to see me (he still lives at home where as i don't)

Heck when i was still in 6th form i used to save up half my dinner money so i could go visit my then bf
"Life Is Like A Beautiful Melody Only The Lyrics Are Messed Up"
To see the rainbow you need both the sun and the rain to make its colours appear
weight lost: 14lbs

Last edited by xXMessedUpXx; 14-11-2012 at 8:00 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xXMessedUpXx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
marisa
Old 14-11-2012, 2:46 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Can she actually afford to go halves or would that leave her short for essentials?
If it is a matter of you pay or you don't see each other then your choice is right there.
If she can afford it, even though she has no income, e.g has lots of money spare it is up to her if she thinks you are worth paying to come see her.
If she chooses to spend her money on things other than seeing you when she could afford it, then it is hardly meant to be.
It all comes down to what her social budget is and if she chooses to spend it on you or not.

What did you want from this thread, if we tell her she has to pay will you link this and she will cough up without resentment??

If we say no you should pay, but we can tell you don't want to, you will keep arguing and resenting her.

So decide if she is worth it and if so don't nag her to pay, if she can afford it but doesn't pay that shows you aren't worth much to her anyway so best apart.
------------------------------------------------------
Saving for a year in Japan.
I need around 10,000. Help me get there!
------------------------------------------------------
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to marisa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
oldtrout
Old 14-11-2012, 4:18 AM
MoneySaving Convert

She moved away to study. Didn't she plan to return now and again anyway, ie some travel costs? Suppose it depends on how much you need to see each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldtrout For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lisawaters
Old 14-11-2012, 6:19 AM

If her family lives near you, maybe she's got a cute sister?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lisawaters For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Ivrytwr3
Old 14-11-2012, 6:28 AM

i don't see the relatioship lasting if you're arguing about money to actually visit - you don't want to pay, neither does she, it sounds like neither of you are particularly bothered.

I used to travel from Germany to the UK on a weekend and i honestly never thought about asking OH for cash - but i did make her pay in many other ways
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Ivrytwr3 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
careerbee
Old 14-11-2012, 7:49 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

If its serious she will want to come home sometime too. You shouldnt ask her to pay half. Either you make the decision to see her less or you cough up.
I lived away at uni for 3 years and at the time couldnt drive. My boyfriend (now fiance) drove down to see me one weekend in 3 and only every other 3 weekends, because I went home. (ie. weekend 1 - uni, weekend 2 - uni, weekend 3 - he visits, weekend 4 - uni, weekend 5- uni, weekend 6 - I go home). And that cost me more in train fares then him in petrol but that is not the issue.

And this might be harsh but: If you're falling out over the cost of seeing each other, it probably isn't going to work in the long run.
Taking control of my finances
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to careerbee For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
dreamdreamer
Old 14-11-2012, 8:39 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have to say I agree with the others. If you're not happy to pay to go see her and she's not happy to contribute to see you then there are deeper issues than the money one.

My boyfriend and I lived and worked over an hour apart for the first two years of our relationship. Plus I didn't drive. We did a LOT of back and forth, sometimes I would be doing a 1.5hr bus ride after a 12hr night shift to go and see him. Likewise sometimes he would drive across at 5am to pick me up from work, spend 2hrs with me then drive back to go to work! I was flat broke (paying off 16k of debt) but I never once resented the money to see him. Likewise he sold his beloved car to buy a more economical diesel because of the miles he was doing coming to see me.

Compromise and sacrifice for the greater good (ie. Seeing each other) should come naturally to you both. I would be wondering why you feel resentment about spending money to see her, rather than wondering whether she should pay.
DEBT FREE 3rd Sept 2011
(Debts at highest 15.8k Nov '08)
Student Loan paid off July 2014
First Direct Regular Saver #2: 1800 ** Santander 123: 13,109
Car Insurance/Tax Fund: 380 ** Present Savings: 450

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dreamdreamer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Rachael084
Old 14-11-2012, 8:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Red face

Although I agree with the others that you could go less often, there's going to be lots of boys at uni who would be willing to put some effort in if you weren't...
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rachael084 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
skizz_b
Old 14-11-2012, 8:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Seeing her every week will get irksome if only because of the travel involved (not the price). Start off seeing her every other week and see how that goes. In a situation like this I'd look at the logistics of the relationship before worrying about the price of it.
If my post has been helpful, please click Thanks!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skizz_b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ashleyriot
Old 14-11-2012, 9:14 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivrytwr3 View Post
I used to travel from Germany to the UK on a weekend and i honestly never thought about asking OH for cash - but i did make her pay in many other ways
And this is what it really comes down to...
The Following User Says Thank You to ashleyriot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Brian Steele
Old 14-11-2012, 9:25 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How important is the relationship to you?

If you are earning and she isn't, then it is not unreasonable that you bear a bigger share of the cost. If you cannot afford that, talk to her, see whether she offers to help and then perhaps see her slightly less often.

How much do you care about her? If it is serious, then the money would not be causing you too much heartbreak. When I first went out with my now wife of 19 years, she was studying in Italy while I was earning in the UK, so I was the one who paid for numerous flights to Turin for the weekend. I'd rather not have spent that much money, but it was worth it. When my father was first going out with my mother, now his wife of 52 years, she was living in Paris and because he couldn't afford the kind of hotel that would allow him back in late at night, he slept under bridges to avoid missing out on his time with her.

That's dedication: if she looks like a keeper, then make some sacrifices.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Brian Steele For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
shark DB
Old 14-11-2012, 9:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

how about you pay to see her then she provides the food while you are there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shark DB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
ruth_from_kent
Old 14-11-2012, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Is she worth it?

Either your girlfriend is worth paying to visit or not. The choice is yours. Try alternate weekends or a long weekend each month. If it is meant to be it will survive if not ........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruth_from_kent For This Useful Post: Show me >>