IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New! Competition end dates posting
Views: 13,506
# 41
One-Eye
Old 08-11-2012, 2:23 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The date needs to show in the results of a search - currently it does not.

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
One-Eye
Old 08-11-2012, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Eye View Post
UNKNOWN = ESTIMATED

Please can the wording be changed so it says "ESTIMATED" rather than "UNKNOWN"
When posting a competition with an estimated end date I filled in the date, clicked the "unknown" radio button and the date disappeared.

I hoped that this would be shown as End: 30-11-2012 Estimated
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
Gilla
Old 08-11-2012, 3:15 PM

Will we still be able to sort on thread title to get the end date comps?

I thought that that was working well, and really saw no need for a change.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot
Good Luck everyone !
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Gilla For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
mnkyhngr
Old 08-11-2012, 3:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blulu View Post
I think this is another positive change to the forum, although I do appreciate that for established posters it's another thing to have to do. But perhaps we could give it a chance and see. It might yet need a little nipping and tucking to make it just the right fit for us. As I see it, it should make it easier for newbies to post. It will save bumping for date corrections and also save established users from keep having to write the same thing over and over about changing the date format.

Often these changes take a little get used to, but in the end, I think the forum is getting betterer, and betterer to use.

Thank you MSE for constantly reviewing the site. It's probably the main reason why the whole website always feels fresh and 'user friendly'
Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree.
This change does not solve the problem of the end date not being put in the title in the correct format.
Furthermore it creates more work for the posters who already complete the title correctly.
It also introduces a risk that more posts are completed with the end date missing from the title.
Until the field can be searched and sorted on, it is next to useless.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mnkyhngr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
weeowens
Old 08-11-2012, 3:17 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilla View Post
Will we still be able to sort on thread title to get the end date comps?

I thought that that was working well, and really saw no need for a change.
I think that will still work,so long as dates are added in the title.
I'm just not sure what this new feature does?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
mnkyhngr
Old 08-11-2012, 3:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
The date needs to show in the results of a search - currently it does not.

Why? The end date is already in the title.
If it is added as an extra line
it will make
the listings longer
than they need
to be
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mnkyhngr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
Nicky63
Old 08-11-2012, 3:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi7 View Post
I agree, and this new change is just slowing me down posting. I have other things to do as well. Please could we remove this feature?

Thank you.
I came to find this thread when I saw the new format whilst end date comping this afternoon, I was, like a couple of others have said here, horrified at the thought the the typed "E: XX/XX" format would be done away with, we need it to stay!

If Laks finds it difficult to use and wishes it gone then that's where my twopenneth goes too, Laks and Weeowens along with half a dozen other prolific posters are the backbone and brain of the comps forum and we want to make it easier for them not harder.

With respect, it seems this is one of those changes that has been implemented by someone that doesn't use or understand the board, we know what happened last time we had one of those.

Thanks for all the work everyone does, Posters, BG's and MSE team.
That ain't working! That's the way to do it, money for nothing and TV's for free
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nicky63 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
Jokey
Old 08-11-2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky63 View Post
I came to find this thread when I saw the new format whilst end date comping this afternoon, I was, like a couple of others have said here, horrified at the thought the the typed "E: XX/XX" format would be done away with, we need it to stay!

If Laks finds it difficult to use and wishes it gone then that's where my twopenneth goes too, Laks and Weeowens along with half a dozen other prolific posters are the backbone and brain of the comps forum and we want to make it easier for them not harder.

With respect, it seems this is one of those changes that has been implemented by someone that doesn't use or understand the board, we know what happened last time we had one of those.

I completely agree. 8,000,000 thanks & the most dedicated & regular poster on here. Same for all the other amazing regular posters who are not far behind (weeowen, One-eye etc).
Surely it's vital to hear what they say? x
xx JoJo xx

And only now I see the light...

Jul: Tatton Park tix, Kids books, Bib

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jokey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
fire**fly
Old 08-11-2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:

hi, it was suggested by the team afaik through this post
26-10-2012

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=56800177

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4227363

which led to the discussion x
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu 。◕‿◕。
when someone smiled at me today i started smiling too, i passed around the corner & someone saw my grin & when he smiled i realized i'd passed it on to him, so, if you feel a smile begin don't leave it undetected, let's start an epidemic quick & get the world infected.

Last edited by fire**fly; 08-11-2012 at 3:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
Nicky63
Old 08-11-2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire**fly View Post
hi, it was suggested by the team afaik through this post
26-10-2012
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...php?p=56800177

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=4227363

which led to the discussion x
Many of us don't have time to get all the comps done let alone read discussions. The thread was about the "red x" too, therefore how was anyone to know it included suggestions about further changes? thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.
That ain't working! That's the way to do it, money for nothing and TV's for free
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nicky63 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
fire**fly
Old 08-11-2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Many of us don't have time to get all the comps done let alone read discussions. The thread was about the "red x" too, therefore how was anyone to know it included suggestions about further changes? thanks for pointing me in the right direction though.
yes, it was posted right inside the redx thread, think that's why a lot didn't notice it i was subscribed to the redx thread so had instant email messages each time a post was done,
reading back the idea didn't seem to go down well,
maybe the team are just trying it out & if no-one is interested it'll be changed again.
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu 。◕‿◕。
when someone smiled at me today i started smiling too, i passed around the corner & someone saw my grin & when he smiled i realized i'd passed it on to him, so, if you feel a smile begin don't leave it undetected, let's start an epidemic quick & get the world infected.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
One-Eye
Old 08-11-2012, 3:42 PM

My previous posts have been objective - pointing out things that aren't working properly. This one is subjective.

When the new end date is Sortable and Searchable then it will be useful. It could then replace the need to put E: DD/MM in the title and it could even be made mandatory. The transfer of comps to Game Over could use it and could even be automatic! I would then accept the slightly longer time it takes to post comps for the use it would be to everyone else, especially end date compers and those who spend time trying to get mis-formatted posts corrected.

Until then it is pretty useless and just repeats information that MUST be in the thread title (for sorting, searching and for BGs to move comps to G.O.). In its current implementation it could cause significant problems if posters use the new feature and don’t put E: DD/MM in the title. It does slow down the posting of comps for high volume posters, and seeing it is not used for anything, I see no reason why they shouldn’t just click the radio button to bypass it – something that has already started. I will join these non-users until it looks like it will be fully developed. It only needs a few posters to ignore it in this way to make it a total white elephant that would be better removed entirely.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
OneYorkshireLass
Old 08-11-2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Andrea View Post

Simply put, when posting a new competition thread on here you’ll be asked to give its end date before you click submit and the date will then show up on your post.
Can anyone explain the reason why?
Am I missing something? If it doesn't help the search, then what is the point in this feature?

I can think of other things that would aid the board more than this ...
#TeamCarter
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OneYorkshireLass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
Barnabysue
Old 08-11-2012, 4:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to Barnabysue

All of the comps that laks has posted in the last few minutes have the usual end date but the new dateline says unknown?
Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnabysue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
kittycatty
Old 08-11-2012, 4:24 PM

Tbh, I can't see the point of this, it makes the board look untidy now with the extra "unknown" line added in just seems plain pointless.
Think it's about time the comping fairy remembered where I am! lol

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittycatty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
OneYorkshireLass
Old 08-11-2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabysue View Post
All of the comps that laks has posted in the last few minutes have the usual end date but the new dateline says unknown?
One-Eye says regular comp posters are not using it:

Quote:
I see no reason why they shouldn’t just click the radio button to bypass it – something that has already started. I will join these non-users until it looks like it will be fully developed. It only needs a few posters to ignore it in this way to make it a total white elephant that would be better removed entirely.
#TeamCarter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OneYorkshireLass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
Barnabysue
Old 08-11-2012, 4:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Barnabysue

Thanks, hadn't seen that, seems a bit daft if it's there but not compulsory. I thought it was to stop people posting comps without end dates.
Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous

The Following User Says Thank You to Barnabysue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
MSE Joe
Old 08-11-2012, 4:38 PM
Web Developer
MoneySaving Convert

Hi everyone,

We unfortunately cannot do the sort by end date just yet. However, what I can offer you is an icon on forum/board level indicating how close a competition is to closing if the end date field have been completed?

Would this be something you'd be interested in?

Joe
Have any problems or issues with the Forum? Contact us at forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
MoneySavingExpert - Assistant Forum Developer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSE Joe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
OneYorkshireLass
Old 08-11-2012, 4:43 PM

I think that'd be something else cluttering the board IMO - and can't people work this out for themselves?
#TeamCarter
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OneYorkshireLass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
fnc63
Old 08-11-2012, 4:44 PM

ok i'll admit i've not read every post, but i've got the idea

this was to do with something along the lines of searching/sorting by end date, well thats a breeze anyway so i cant see why this addition is needed

and i was coming in here just to say i think you need to consult with the major posters on this board bc if they arent going to use it, then it isnt going to work

i know quite a few top posters, but of course Lakshmi7 sprung to mind first and i was going to suggest you ask them first their thoughts, but i am happy to see that Lakshmi7 has already voiced their opinion/concern already, along with some other top posters

if its only for sorting/searching purposes, then surely a guide, or an additon to the compers guide thread [ifnotalreadyinthere] is all that is needed

2014 WTD ~ CH10OC50CW55PC10AB25BA120SB15OC30BC160BV105OC30CT2 0GC10GB100

Apparently everything has a happy ending and if you havent arrived at the happiness, it hasnt ended yet

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fnc63 For This Useful Post: Show me >>