IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
New! Competition end dates posting
Views: 13,517
# 21
thenanny2die4
Old 08-11-2012, 1:10 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenena View Post
Firefly explained above that the format of posts won't change, it's just that instead of having to type the date in the correct format yourself, you select the date and it's put in automatically; if I've understood that correctly.

If it's still going to be in each thread title, then it will still be possible to sort by end date using the options at the bottom of the page.

Sounds like a great idea to me!
Really? The thread title will be automatically edited to show the end date in our usual format or the end date will simply show above the poster's name unless they've completed the title in the usual way? Sorry, I don't understand!
Proud to have beaten my target of 100 raised for the Alzheimer's Society
by completing the 10k Memory Walk at Wollaton Hall on September 1st.

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to thenanny2die4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
iwannabeonthebeach
Old 08-11-2012, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire**fly View Post
it's showing
E: DAILY 100.00 Google+ Giveaway | Shade Station
End: Unknown

as it's no ending date been put in
so surely this is going to have to be edited by a BG to put a guessed end date in?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iwannabeonthebeach For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
fire**fly
Old 08-11-2012, 1:16 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabeonthebeach View Post
so surely this is going to have to be edited by a BG to put a guessed end date in?
or maybe if someone sees it posts the link to the dailies thread as there doesn't seem to be a end date on the comp so should it be posted to dailies ?
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu 。◕‿◕。
when someone smiled at me today i started smiling too, i passed around the corner & someone saw my grin & when he smiled i realized i'd passed it on to him, so, if you feel a smile begin don't leave it undetected, let's start an epidemic quick & get the world infected.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
Hughjass
Old 08-11-2012, 1:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I realise that some of the recent changes are postive but please MSE can you stop messing about with the comps board now, enough already, its making me not want to play anymore.
All power is from within and therefore under our control
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hughjass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
crin
Old 08-11-2012, 1:27 PM

really not sure about this change. The boards have changed a fair bit recently and tbh when you do a display by title for posts done over the last 2 days/weeks etc it doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to several months ago
If at first you don't succeed try, try, try again.

Eleventh Heaven # 550 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
weeowens
Old 08-11-2012, 1:28 PM

The thought behind the idea seems great but in practice its just another thing to do when posting.
Plus by filling in the new date box no date is added to the title.We still have to do that & as I understand it that is where the date ordering takes place?
To test I posted a comp & it did not add an end date in the title but filled the new box in.The result shows here.

Maybe if I understood what the point of the new date box was.It may work as a prompt for members but they still have to add the date in the old way.

Last edited by weeowens; 08-11-2012 at 1:32 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
bargainhuntergal
Old 08-11-2012, 1:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeowens View Post
The thought behind the idea seems great but in practice its just another thing to do when posting.
Plus by filling in the new date box no date is added to the title.We still have to do that & as I understand it that is where the date ordering takes place?
To test I posted a comp & it did add an end date in the title but filled the new box in.The result shows here.

Maybe if I understood what the point of the new date box was.It may work as a prompt for members but they still have to add the date in the old way.
Thank you so much for testing that weeowens, that's exactly what I suspected was going to happen, so the end date isn't added in E: ??/?? format at the beginning of the title, so unless people add that as well it's going to be impossible to order by end date! Great!
Huge thanks to all comp posters!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bargainhuntergal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
One-Eye
Old 08-11-2012, 1:34 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

UNKNOWN = ESTIMATED

Please can the wording be changed so it says "ESTIMATED" rather than "UNKNOWN"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
weeowens
Old 08-11-2012, 1:36 PM

Hi,bargainhuntergal

I see it that the general users on here are no worse off.It's the posters that will have to take more time/care to fill the box in.
Most users know that an end date is needed in the title,for me its just force of habit.
I'm just at a loss to see what the new date input does,unless it some backroom MSE functionality that is not obvious.

Last edited by weeowens; 08-11-2012 at 1:39 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
bargainhuntergal
Old 08-11-2012, 1:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Hi,bargainhuntergal

I see it that the general users on here are no worse off.It's the posters that will have to take more time/care to fill the box in.
Most users know that an end date is needed in the title,for me its just force of habit.
I know what you mean, it's just if people see the end date box and think they don't need to type it in the normal format in the title too that we're going to have a big problem, and it will make a massive amount of work for the BG's if they're having to edit all of them with the dates.
Huge thanks to all comp posters!
The Following User Says Thank You to bargainhuntergal For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
thenanny2die4
Old 08-11-2012, 1:38 PM

Quote:
To test I posted a comp & it did not add an end date in the title but filled the new box in.The result shows here.

Thanks weeowens. That's exactly what I suspected would happen. I think it's going to result in a less workable board as there will be people who don't see the point in putting the end date in the title. For those of us who sort by end date most of the time, the results are obvious. I remember how difficult it used to be before the current format was decided upon and I fear, unless another change is made to enable a search via the new end date facility, we'll be back to the old problems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thenanny2die4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
thenanny2die4
Old 08-11-2012, 1:47 PM

Sorry, another question...

Can someone who has posted a comp since this went live please check if the new format end date can be edited if it changes?

Just a thought.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thenanny2die4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
dontone
Old 08-11-2012, 1:48 PM

I don't like it. Preferred it how it was before TBH. It seems too spaced out and untidy.

I really wish forums wouldn't mess with stuff that people are quite happy with. It's like Facebook. You get used to something, then they change it.

Please put it back to how it was before. thank you
BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, 250 Reward Your thirst, 500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dontone For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
One-Eye
Old 08-11-2012, 1:51 PM

I'm sure it will be on the list of things to do, but we need to be able to edit the end date. It is currently not possible - even when you "Go Advanced".
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
weeowens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenanny2die4 View Post
Sorry, another question...

Can someone who has posted a comp since this went live please check if the new format end date can be edited if it changes?

Just a thought.
Just off to look :-)

ETA: It not editable after posting.Once its in that is it.
The title date can be edited in the usual way though :-)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Blulu

I think this is another positive change to the forum, although I do appreciate that for established posters it's another thing to have to do. But perhaps we could give it a chance and see. It might yet need a little nipping and tucking to make it just the right fit for us. As I see it, it should make it easier for newbies to post. It will save bumping for date corrections and also save established users from keep having to write the same thing over and over about changing the date format.

Often these changes take a little get used to, but in the end, I think the forum is getting betterer, and betterer to use.

Thank you MSE for constantly reviewing the site. It's probably the main reason why the whole website always feels fresh and 'user friendly'
More fun, less whinging

It is more fitting to laugh at life than to lament over it. -- Seneca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blulu For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
fire**fly
Old 08-11-2012, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blulu View Post
I think this is another positive change to the forum, although I do appreciate that for established posters it's another thing to have to do. But perhaps we could give it a chance and see. It might yet need a little nipping and tucking to make it just the right fit for us. As I see it, it should make it easier for newbies to post. It will save bumping for date corrections and also save established users from keep having to write the same thing over and over about changing the date format.

Often these changes take a little get used to, but in the end, I think the forum is getting betterer, and betterer to use.

Thank you MSE for constantly reviewing the site. It's probably the main reason why the whole website always feels fresh and 'user friendly'

couldn't have put it better blu, all changes take a bit of time to get used to
Smiling is contagious you catch it like the flu 。◕‿◕。
when someone smiled at me today i started smiling too, i passed around the corner & someone saw my grin & when he smiled i realized i'd passed it on to him, so, if you feel a smile begin don't leave it undetected, let's start an epidemic quick & get the world infected.
The Following User Says Thank You to fire**fly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
weeowens
Old 08-11-2012, 1:57 PM

Quote:
hi, it means when a poster wants to submit a new comp at the bottom of the posting is now a

Format: DD-MM-YYYY

that needs to be filled in & it automatically puts the End date in the post for when the comp is submitted on the boards hth x
Quote:
think it's a great addition as will help newbies & comp posters,
& also save lots of 'bumps' on a comp/s as when/if before we replied to the E: dates not being put in & posting CG showing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blulu View Post
As I see it, it should make it easier for newbies to post. It will save bumping for date corrections and also save established users from keep having to write the same thing over and over about changing the date format.
Hi,as I posted earlier on we still have to add the end date in the usual way & its not clear if this new buttons fuctionality will drive the indexing/searching mechanism on MSE or will it be the old title date.
The bumps may still be needed :-)

Last edited by weeowens; 08-11-2012 at 2:12 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weeowens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Lakshmi7
Old 08-11-2012, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughjass View Post
I realise that some of the recent changes are postive but please MSE can you stop messing about with the comps board now, enough already, its making me not want to play anymore.
I agree, and this new change is just slowing me down posting. Please could we remove this feature?

Thank you.
It is a scientific fact that your body will not absorb calories if you take it from another person's plate.
Chocolate is the answer and I don't give a damn what
the question is.

Last edited by Lakshmi7; 08-11-2012 at 5:29 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Lakshmi7 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
One-Eye
Old 08-11-2012, 2:10 PM

Posting a new competition - it allows a date prior to today - this should not be allowed.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to One-Eye For This Useful Post: Show me >>