Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Calfuray
    • By Calfuray 5th Nov 12, 11:34 PM
    • 964Posts
    • 5,863Thanks
    Calfuray
    MFW Diary - Take 1!
    • 5th Nov 12, 11:34 PM
    MFW Diary - Take 1! 5th Nov 12 at 11:34 PM
    Hello! Brand new, squeaky-clean newbie here, although I've been lurking for a while.

A wee bit about myself: from Scotland, live with my partner (hubbie in '14) and had our mortgage since 2009. We are young 'uns(!) and as such don't earn much. My OH works in an industry that's not done well with the recession, he was down to 4-day weeks for a while but managed to get back to a full working week. I am a student and work part-time.

When we first got the mortgage I was a month shy of 20, and we signed up to a 35 year mortgage. Silly, I know. I want to OP as much as possible so we are not in our 50's when it finishes! I worked out that if we OP £100 a month, the mortgage would end 14 years early.

Mortgage at highest: £58,896
    Mortgage currently: £57,282.32
    Highest APR: 5.98%
    Current APR: 3.99%
    OPs since Oct 12: £200

The only other money we owe is a loan for £5,000.
    Savings of £1800.

All I can think of just now! Looking forward to updating this diary
Page 41
    • Calfuray
    • By Calfuray 6th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    Calfuray
    Hi Cal.

I was worried about the condition of the fortunate house and the work needed to get it ready to market. However, when the Estate Agents saw it they said all was fine and just to keep things tidy.

I was also worried about how long we might take to sell as our attached next-door neighbours had been on and off the market for nearly three years before they sold. The Agents thought we would sell quickly though and we got an offer in four days in the end.

If I were to do this again I'd get someone in sooner to give a valuation and some marketing advice. At least then I'd have known the exact situation, whether good or bad, and could have taken action to sort things out rather than prolonging the worry.

Good luck with your plans

Fortune x
    Originally posted by Fortune Smiles
    Thanks Fortune, you're most likely right. I've decided to treat it like the stock market - just get on with it and see what happens, stop trying to predict.

I'm going to upload some pictures below to show you the difference:

Before:

(This is not a full before, the floor used to be concrete too!)

<removed>

After:

<removed>

(I'll probably take these down in about 7 days when I get paranoid).

So, as you can see from pictures, I think it makes a huge difference. Still a lampshade and a radiator cover to go on and then I think it'll really come together

Today was an absolute write-off. Got up, dressed, went to get tyre fixed. Tried to phone people to get bath panel replaced, no joy. Went to dentist, waited over an hour and a half to get seen. Normally I would have just rebooked but I'm in pain so I waited. Eventually got seen, recommended wisdom tooth extraction

By this point it was nearly 2pm, hadn't eaten or drank anything all day and I got one of my curl-into-a-ball-and-cry migraines. Can't really complain, haven't had one that bad in months, and my own fault for doing everything bad I know I shouldn't; lack of sleep, no food, no water, fumes from painting etc. Just woke up from nap about an hour ago

Glossed the skirting, hoping one coat will be enough after the primer, will reevaluate tomorrow in the daylight. Slightly more relaxed day planned tomorrow, few people for bathroom quotes, haircut and cinema. As much as I want to GO-GO-GO I think I need to wind down before I go back to work, otherwise I'll need another holiday to recover from this one!

Hope all had a good day, I'm off to be lazy.

Cal
    Last edited by Calfuray; 18-07-2017 at 9:10 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 7th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,156 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You poor thing! Quite right too, to be lazy after a day like that

Your photos are really good - the difference (in the right direction) is amazing.

Hope you feel better today.
    Retired August 2016
    • Calfuray
    • By Calfuray 7th Jul 17, 8:56 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    Calfuray
    You poor thing! Quite right too, to be lazy after a day like that

Your photos are really good - the difference (in the right direction) is amazing.

Hope you feel better today.
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    Thanks KC

Much more relaxed day today, someone round for a bathroom quote, really hoping one of them gets back to me with a price and date soon, that's the last contractor. Haircut, lunch and a movie. Now trying to convince myself to get off the couch and do the last coat of gloss
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 8th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 19,876 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Wow - that looks fabulous!

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 0% paid House Deposit Contribution: 64%

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
    • Calfuray
    • By Calfuray 13th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    Calfuray
    Thanks Fortune - and thank to my lurkers

__________________________________________________ ___

Back to work this week, been struggling to wake up Did well on Monday, came in after work and cleared out a bunch of drawers, but then done nothing the past few days, it's hard to motivate yourself to make dinner, clean up and do everything when you don't get in until 7PM.

Today's been a bit of a nightmare, got hit by a van while stationary at a roundabout, my poor wee car. Drove to work, spent a good 60 minutes on phone to various place, thank goodness for understanding workplaces.

Bathroom guy came today to replace the bath panel, good thing he did, turns out the overflow pipe was disconnected and there was a nice wee loch under there.

Also burnt my forehead on my straighteners so that's my three for today

Hope all are well?

Cal
    • shangaijimmy
    • By shangaijimmy 13th Jul 17, 10:41 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 8,504 Thanks
    shangaijimmy
    At least you've got the 3 out the way before the weekend kicks in
    MFW: Turning June 2036 into March 2023...
    28//120 Payments Challenge, Diary Reduction £29,621.76
    Aug 2009: £163,051 // Current: £106,378.27 // Avg Daily Interest £4.78
    MFiT-T4 #8 - 42.45% of £41,000
    • Calfuray
    • By Calfuray 15th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 5,863 Thanks
    Calfuray
    At least you've got the 3 out the way before the weekend kicks in
    Originally posted by shangaijimmy
    Very true!

__________________________________________________ ___

Weekend has been very uneventful so far, just tidying, occasional reminiscing over photos/items, and lots and lots of binbags. Listed two items on £b@y that I would have normally chucked.

Didn't do much today, lost all my puff around 3pm Still, I guess better slowly than never.

Can't remember who's diary I saw this on, but they suggested taking a picture of an item if it has sentimental value but you don't really use/need it anymore, this is absolutely brilliant, I've taken a bunch of pictures of things I would normally have kept and backed them up online, allowing me to let go and bin them.

Off to relax, hope everyone had a good Saturday,

Cal
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,406Posts Today

8,507Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin