IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Capital One PPI - stalling?
Views: 12,308
# 1
KKmatters
Old 30-10-2012, 2:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Capital One PPI - stalling?

Hi

I wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I have written to Capital One requesting repayment of PPI charges due to mis-selling as I have pre-existing medical conditions and also an Occupational Sick Scheme at my place of employment - when the customer adviser spoke to me on the phone regarding this he indicated it was for 'purchase protection' rather than PPI. I sent the standard form by recorded delivery as advised by FOS and received a reply within 48 hours saying that they would give their response in 10 weeks time!! I thought the response time for PPI claims was 8 weeks? However, it is now 12 weeks and still I've heard nothing - if I call their offices I loop round trying to speak to someone regarding this so I gave up!

The odd thing is that since logging my complaint I have received an email telling me of PPI changes that are now in place and also an Annual Statement of PPI charges which I've never had in the 4 years I've had the credit card? Are they stalling or ignoring as I've also requested cancellation of the premium and they are still charing my account?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
dunstonh
Old 30-10-2012, 3:27 PM
Mega Magnificent Maxi-Meticulous Uber-MoneySaving Magnate

Quote:
and received a reply within 48 hours saying that they would give their response in 10 weeks time!! I thought the response time for PPI claims was 8 weeks?
They have to aim to reply within 8 weeks but dont have to resolve it in that time. That is the point you can go to the FOS if you wish. However, with the FOS queue at 12-18 months and the FOS only upholding 11% of complaints against Cap One, its probably worth waiting.

They are just busy and have a backlog. Keep waiting.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dunstonh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
KKmatters
Old 30-10-2012, 3:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Blimey didn't realise FOS were so busy eeek... thanks for the heads up I'll sit and wait it out ... :-)
# 4
brenmi
Old 01-11-2012, 4:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Post Capital One Credit Card PPI

I have received confirmation they have received my complaint, and am awaiting their reply, they have 7 weeks left...will keep you all posted.
# 5
roonaldo
Old 01-11-2012, 8:57 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKmatters View Post
I have received an email telling me of PPI changes that are now in place and also an Annual Statement of PPI charges which I've never had in the 4 years I've had the credit card? u
this is a new thing, nothing sinister
# 6
KKmatters
Old 03-11-2012, 5:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenmi View Post
I have received confirmation they have received my complaint, and am awaiting their reply, they have 7 weeks left...will keep you all posted.
Good luck.... will watch for your updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonaldo View Post
this is a new thing, nothing sinister
Ahhh right... thank you just thought it odd since my complaint I received the email/statement...

UPDATE .... I have now received a response from Capital One that said they have a backlog and aim to resolve in 4 weeks but if this isnt possible they will write again to let me know!!!
# 7
ALIBOBSY
Old 03-11-2012, 5:33 PM

Capital one are notorious for using every delaying tactic they can-its a US thing, court cases over there can be dragged out for years and years and they work on the same priciple here. My PPI claim took them 12 wks to finally say no to. After 9-10 months with the FOS their adjudicator found in my favour-capital one still refuse to give up and are appealing to the ombudsman. I reckon I will be lucky to get anything in under 2 years since the first letter.

So don't hold your breath sorry.

Ali x
"Overthinking every little thing
Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Earn £10 a day challenge FEB £0/£260
The Following User Says Thank You to ALIBOBSY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
KKmatters
Old 03-11-2012, 11:57 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIBOBSY View Post
Capital one are notorious for using every delaying tactic they can-its a US thing, court cases over there can be dragged out for years and years and they work on the same priciple here. My PPI claim took them 12 wks to finally say no to. After 9-10 months with the FOS their adjudicator found in my favour-capital one still refuse to give up and are appealing to the ombudsman. I reckon I will be lucky to get anything in under 2 years since the first letter.

So don't hold your breath sorry.

Ali x
OH!!! <shocked> this is awful.... surely if the government have given guidelines and more money is being set aside to 'settle' claims then Capital One should follow suit!! I suppose they just hope that the claimant gets fed up and gives up and hey ho money stays in their bank... in my case I stated in the letter that the PPI should be ceased and they've totally ignored that part of it even though they've twice acknowledged my claim they won't cancel the insurance so I'm still paying for it!!!

I wish you lots of luck and hope you hear something soon given FOS have a huge backlog and low result rate with Capital One we can only continue to wait
# 9
dunstonh
Old 04-11-2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
surely if the government have given guidelines
The Govt have given no guidelines.

Quote:
and more money is being set aside to 'settle' claims then Capital One should follow suit!!
Capital One have a good reputation on complaints. The FOS only overturned 11% of their rejections. How much Cap One set aside will be a matter for them and what happens with future complaint levels.
I am a Financial Adviser. Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from a Financial Adviser local to you.
# 10
elc_8
Old 07-11-2012, 3:05 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Capital 1 are driving me nuts! when I sent my claim form in I received a letter saying 8-10 weeks. After 10 weeks I received another letter saying 4 weeks. After 4 weeks I rang them (0333 000 1601 options 2 and 4) and was told a settlement offer had been made and the letter with the offer was posted on the 10/10/12. I rang up on the 18/10/12 and told them I hadn't received the letter so they were sending me another. On the 25/10/12 I rang again and told them I still hadn't received the first or second letter. I was told to be patient.. I rang again on the 31/10/12 and was told the second letter was posted out on the 30/10/12... eh?! rang again on the 05/11/12 and was advised the post is second class and takes 8-10 days... 8-10 day's from Nottingham to Derby?! I sent a letter to Canada and it got there in 4 days.. Are Capital 1 taking the !!!!? have they actually sent this letter? or am I ringing on the 12/11/12 (when i've been told they can print another) to request another copy that obviously won't get posted for a week?? They apparently can't email it, they apparently can't fax it, and apparently I can't go there to pick the letter up either! Capital 1 took my money without my sayso, now they need to get their thumbs out their bums and re-pay it to me!!
# 11
KKmatters
Old 08-11-2012, 2:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Oh dear.... the first part is exactly the same as mine.... 10 weeks to reply and in the 11th week I get a letter saying another 4 weeks.... so today I have another letter from them.... my heart goes in my mouth as I brace myself for 'rejection' only to find that I have provided 'inaccurate or insufficient information' !?!?! As confused as I was I continued to read to find that my signature apparently has changed since I took out the Credit Card and I have now to provide either a copy of my passport or driving licence to prove who I am..... my signature has changed over the years but not vastly ... so I'm thinking based on the information you have provided that they are using every tactic in the book to stall the resolution!!

I really hope you get your letter soon - maybe call their bluff and ask them to email you a copy after all I got mail from Hong Kong in 4 days!!!!!
# 12
dunstonh
Old 08-11-2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
my signature has changed over the years but not vastly ... so I'm thinking based on the information you have provided that they are using every tactic in the book to stall the resolution!!
I bet you would be quick to complain had they paid out money to someone else who was pretending to be you. If so, why you are angry at them doing what is required to stop that sort of thing happening?
# 13
BAL1994
Old 08-11-2012, 6:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I originally complained to Cap One on the 11th September, 2012 and now today finally received a response advising not to contact them again as they hope to have an answer for me within 10 weeks !!!!!

I am also in a bit of a dilemma what to do next, send details to FOS, involve a third party PPI collection Company or just wait ???

In the meantime, I had requested that they cancel the current PPI payments but guess what.........they are still taking them !!!
# 14
KKmatters
Old 08-11-2012, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunstonh View Post
I bet you would be quick to complain had they paid out money to someone else who was pretending to be you. If so, why you are angry at them doing what is required to stop that sort of thing happening?
Who said I was angry??? More disgruntled they couldn't have asked me for this in previous correspondence plus while I have no problem providing my ID as I realise in this day and age it's a must to prove status/eligibility but what I do object to is that I am not allowed to email the documents from my personal email address to a 'real person' within Capital One but I can fax or post them to lie around their offices which is less secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAL1994 View Post
I originally complained to Cap One on the 11th September, 2012 and now today finally received a response advising not to contact them again as they hope to have an answer for me within 10 weeks !!!!!

I am also in a bit of a dilemma what to do next, send details to FOS, involve a third party PPI collection Company or just wait ???

In the meantime, I had requested that they cancel the current PPI payments but guess what.........they are still taking them !!!
Based on information I've received previously I wouldn't bother with FOS given their backlog of complaints - I'm playing the waiting game and hoping this time they stick to their resolution within the 4 weeks - things are obviously moving if they're checking my signature!

As for still taking PPI.... same here I requested cancellation in writing but they're still charging me - I phoned and they told me to put it in writing but ....???
# 15
brenmi
Old 15-12-2012, 1:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Still waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenmi View Post
Hi all still waiting for outcome of complaint, they did send another letter though saying they are running a little behind.
# 16
magpiecottage
Old 15-12-2012, 9:19 AM

Capital One only have an uphold rate of around 11%.

That means for every valid complaint they have ten that are not - but all have to be dealt with. It all takes time.

For the genuine ones, the fault for misselling lies with Capital One but the fault for the delays lies with those who are trying it on.
I run a consultancy to help Independent Financial Advisers to comply with their rules and resolve complaints. Although I am qualified to, I don't advise consumers for reward.
# 17
KKmatters
Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just to update, I'm still waiting..... I provided proof of ID on 12th November as requested and no news.....

Brenmi... hope you've had more news since your last post
# 18
KKmatters
Old 18-01-2013, 1:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

and.... still waiting ..... after providing proof of ID/signature on 12 November... I have received a letter today telling me they still haven't reached a resolution .... they must have some backlog of complaints ...
# 19
huwjohn
Old 25-01-2013, 11:21 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default PPI Misconception - Setting the record straight!

I just want to set the record straight. Capital One are NOT stalling. Banks are slow and complaints processes are exhaustive, but their not stalling. I used to work for a reputable bank and believe me, I am not a lover of the banking system either.

As a former employee of a bank, I know (and i’m sure you are too!) that there is no case handler assigned to your complaint to say “stall! Don’t give him anything! Make him wait! Let’s hope he drops it!”. It’s not in the banks interests to stall – They would get fined £500 by the FOS if they stalled and I think you need to remember that employee’s don’t care whether you get your money or not. All their doing is their job and following the correct timelines.

I used to be a PPI handler and believe me it is better to get your case out of the way and dealt with than risk you potentially calling expressing dissatisfacion, clogging up the lines and complaining about other things in the process. I’m not saying your case isn’t dealt with and your concerns dismissed, all i’m saying is it’s better that your complaint comes to a satisfactory resolution where applicable. This would boost the bank’s reputation and it’s relationship with its customers.

The problem the banks are facing is that there are waaaaay too many people jumping on the bandwagon. There are people who are just submitting false complaints, claims management companies who are sending generic letters that don’t apply to their customers and customers asking for PPI back without explaining why they are complaining and how they feel it was mis-sold to them. Even those who have claimed on it are asking for it back.

Consequently the banks are inundated with thousands upon thousands of complaints. Some people are losing their jobs because of this, because the banks simply can’t afford to be losing this sort of money. Departments are being amalgamated into one and that means less requirement for staff – the complaints departments are increasing but there are processes to follow and legalities to comply with. Customer don’t understand that this is an extensive process and complain about their complaint. They also don’t realize that a final response IS a final response and if they need to take it further, they would have to the Ombudsman service. This is a compliance issue that is not going to be broken for one customer and overturned for another.

If the company have received insufficient information or the complaint was dealt with badly or without taking into consideration the relevant information then yes the company can at their discretion review the case but looking into a case again is not prioritized, it is put back into the queue which is why it in the customers interests to go to the FOS rather than keep on at the company. It’s not going to make any difference that you’re angry, upset etc etc. There are complaints procedures in place for a reason. There’s just too many complaints to cherry pick one over the other. Can you imagine how you would feel if you were waiting and waiting and someone’s complaint was cherry picked over yours because they complained again?

Also a lot of customers are feigning ignorance, denying they had knowledge of PPI, claiming they were told things they weren’t and using immaturity or even mental illness as an excuse to get their PPI back. It is of course, the customers responsibility to ensure that he reads and understands his terms and conditions and if he does not, it doesn’t matter if you deny you knew you had it, claim you were told things or use immaturity – the fact is at some point you read and signed a document specifically stated you wanted the “optional” PPI and you wanted to be legally bound by the terms and conditions of the contract you signed. It is your fault if you did not read those terms and conditions and nobody else’s.

In the case of mental illness, there is a process called “irresponsible lending” where if you can prove that you had or someone representing you can supply evidence that you were not compus mentus at the time you took out the loan, then you can claim “irresponsible lending” and the WHOLE LOAN would be invalidated.

I repeat, there are processes in place if you feel you were treated unfairly and on the basis of the evidence YOU supply, the company will consider it. As I say, we were simply employees of a bank. We have no need to lie to you or stall our complaints process because at the end of the day – it doesn’t concern us whether you win or not because you are just a number in a pool of customers doing the same thing and we are simply just doing our job.
# 20
KKmatters
Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for your reply Huwjohn... however while I agree with the points you're making in your reply, I would like to add that I have spoke with FOS regarding the case they categorically stated that I should have had some response from CapitalOne within the eight-week time frame - I stated I had received letters saying that they are allowed 'extra time' and following that I'm receiving letters approximately every 4 weeks stating it will take another 4 weeks - their answer again was they acknowledged receipt of my claim and they have a responsibility to have given a resolution within eight weeks - whether this is right or wrong I don't know all I can say is that from registering my claim in August 2012 to today 28 Feb 2013 I have not had the case accepted/denied just 'pending' - FOS have advised although they may take time as they too are unindated with complaints it would be in my best interest to register my complaint with them.

So, I'm sitting patiently waiting for a fair decision!