IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Bricking up porch?
Closed Thread
Views: 1,635
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 51
Default Bricking up porch?


My house is an ex-council terrace house. I'm not too sure how to describe it but the front door is set back a little way into the house, so the upstairs kind of shelters a space of around 1.5m by 2.5metres. My next door neighbour has the same with an alleyway between the two houses to our respective gardens.
Before I had bought the house, the previous owner had boxed in the entrance area i..e the 1.5m by 2.5 space with wooden panels, another front door and a window. This now gives a kind of porch area which makes the entrance lie flush with the rest of the house (i.e the upstairs).

My question is - am I able to replace the wooden panels and brick it up without requiring planning permission. Ideally i would like to remove the inside external front door and perhaps replace this with interior door, with actual entrance to the house becoming the only exterior type door. Is this still classed as an extension even though I am only extending the downstairs to be the same as it currently is upstairs (and in fact exactly the same as it is now with the wooden panels)

I hope you can help
ambercelery is offline
Report Post
# 2
Old 13-04-2007, 6:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,492

not sure of the legalities of this but we had a conservatory type enclosed porch and the wood was rotting so we have jus bricked the whole thing up and removed the second front door as u suggested

we didnt need to redo the footings or anything as they were plentiful anyways.. we also have pictures of the old porch proving there was always one there and they go back some years

our theory was that we were simply replacing existing

hope that helps
shykins is online now
Report Post
# 3
Old 14-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: bolton le moors
Posts: 40,861

highly unlikely that you would require PP to do this. replacing like for like, just with different materials.
although PP is not required for temporary structures, ie wooden panels screwed on. and bricks are not temporary!
i would just do it. assuming the neighbour is ok with it?
Get some gorm.
ormus is offline
Report Post
# 4
Old 14-04-2007, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 38

"PP is not required for temporary structures, ie wooden panels screwed on"

Nonsense! If in doubt check with your local planning department. 'Temporary structures' may well still require pp, it depends on what exactly you are looking at doing and where.

In answer to the OP, assuming the 'permitted development rights' haven't been removed from the property, it is a dwelling house (not a flat) and is not a listed building, my view is that the proposed works would fall under Part 1 Class A of the General Permitted Development Order (

Technically the previous boxing in of the area would (IMO) count as an extension to the property and have to comply with the relevant criteria within Class A relating to extensions. The replacement of wooden panels with bricks which you propose to do would (IMO) be considered to be an 'improvement or other alteration' to the dwelling house. As you will note from reading through the criteria, there are no specific criteria which restrict what you propose to do. Therefore you do not need pp.

Indeed, if you so wished, you could brick up all the windows in your house or remove all the bricks and replace with glass without needing pp! If you were in a Conservation Area, National Park etc (article 1(5) land), the cladding of the property is restricted.


bostin is offline
Report Post
# 5
Old 18-04-2007, 10:33 PM
MoneySaving Convert
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 29

agree with above posting. I work as a planner in scotland where the regs are slightly different, though I agree that planning permission would not be required for this proposal.
cat79 is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 5:44 PM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 15 April 2015

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed


Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

MSE's Twitter Feed