Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 145
  • sazzab
    I have a quick question on this. I would hate to imagine just how much I have been charged by Abbey over the past 18 years I've been with them. I realise it's only the last 6 I can claim for and my job for tomorrow is to go through all my old statements - I have them all somewhere.

So my question is this. I only have the one current account (with Abbey) plus a couple of savings accounts and a mortgage. Can anyone tell me, if I put in a claim with Abbey for bank charges are they likely to close my account - if this is the case would I be better off trying to open another current account with another bank before I write any letters off to anyone?

Also, I have been trying to read this thread but it's huge, and it's late and I need to go to bed. I can't claim financial hardship as, fortunately, I am still employed. Will I get turned down and told to wait until the court case is settled or is there still a chance I will get something back from them?

Any answers will be gratefully received. Many thanks
    Sally

PAD: June - £24.00
    TARGET 1: Homeloan - £3327.84 £3243.97 / TARGET 2: Barclaycard - £5340.15 £5092.90 / TARGET 3: Overdraft - £2750.00
    LIGHTBULB MOMENT - approx 11am, Tuesday 9th June, 2009 / TARGET DATE: 24th August, 2010
  • jos004
    Abbey
    I have a quick question on this. I would hate to imagine just how much I have been charged by Abbey over the past 18 years I've been with them. I realise it's only the last 6 I can claim for and my job for tomorrow is to go through all my old statements - I have them all somewhere.

So my question is this. I only have the one current account (with Abbey) plus a couple of savings accounts and a mortgage. Can anyone tell me, if I put in a claim with Abbey for bank charges are they likely to close my account - if this is the case would I be better off trying to open another current account with another bank before I write any letters off to anyone?

Also, I have been trying to read this thread but it's huge, and it's late and I need to go to bed. I can't claim financial hardship as, fortunately, I am still employed. Will I get turned down and told to wait until the court case is settled or is there still a chance I will get something back from them?

Any answers will be gratefully received. Many thanks
    Sally
    Originally posted by sazzab
    If you apply under the FSA hardship waiver - which I've read will be extended again next month, Abbey cannot close your account. Via a county court - they probably will.

You say, you do not qualify under hardship because you're employed. If you have priority debts; plus meet some of the following FSA's hardship categories, you may well qualify:

* have exceeded an overdraft in 12 months by at least 500 pounds
    * heavy credit card/loans - who hasn't these days?
    * have recently been divorced
    * have recently come out of prison

Have a read through the hardship notes on this wonderful website, for further info.
  • sazzab
    If you apply under the FSA hardship waiver - which I've read will be extended again next month, Abbey cannot close your account. Via a county court - they probably will.

You say, you do not qualify under hardship because you're employed. If you have priority debts; plus meet some of the following FSA's hardship categories, you may well qualify:

* have exceeded an overdraft in 12 months by at least 500 pounds
    * heavy credit card/loans - who hasn't these days?
    * have recently been divorced
    * have recently come out of prison

Have a read through the hardship notes on this wonderful website, for further info.
    Originally posted by jos004
    Well I can tick two of those categories - the first two. I will go and have a read about the hardship thing and see what I can do. I think before I do anything I will try to get myself another current account first though so I don't land myself in bigger problems. Am worried that I won't get one though as I know my credit score isn't very good at the moment. Am about to get a loan from my parents though which will clear my credit card and loan so not sure where that will leave me with the hardship thing but right now it's more important to me to get the cleared and onto a good interest rate so if it means I have to wait a while, until the court case is settled, then I'll just have to be patient.

I may take a look at my past credit card statements, am sure I've got a fair few on those too and I might have more immediate luck claiming from them first and getting a bit of money back. It won't be as much in charges as I have from the bank (which is pretty much charges every month for 6 years I would think).

Thanks so much for your answer, I really appreciate it.
    Sally

PAD: June - £24.00
    TARGET 1: Homeloan - £3327.84 £3243.97 / TARGET 2: Barclaycard - £5340.15 £5092.90 / TARGET 3: Overdraft - £2750.00
    LIGHTBULB MOMENT - approx 11am, Tuesday 9th June, 2009 / TARGET DATE: 24th August, 2010
  • whizzkid001
    Hardship accepted, low percentage being offered
    We have had our hardship claim unbelievably accepted today. From a total claimed of £4,455, they are now offering us just £1,195 - amounting to 2 months mortgage debt, which they say is for our 'priority debt'. The sum is little more than 25% of the total we are claiming.

In the time taken to reach this decision, we owe another £600 payment on the mortgage as well as other priority debts.

Anyone been at a similar point with Abbey and have any advice as to how 'negotiable' they are/might be at this stage?
  • debvan1
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could help/advise me. I sent my first letter asking for a record of my charges for the past six years along with a cheque to cover the cost, today I recieved a bog standard letter off Abbey stating the usuall about the test case etc however no record of charges and they have not cashed the cheque as far as I can tell. What do I do as I cannot work out how much to claim for with out this. I was hoping to claim under hardship, as hubby and I are seperating and I will only have 3 months in our army quarters before having to move out to make it worse we are in Germany with 2 kids!! Oh I also recieved notification that they are reducing my OD by half on the 1st Sept to 500 no idea how I am going to manage this. Thank you in advance of any replies.
  • natweststaffmember
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong place, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could help/advise me. I sent my first letter asking for a record of my charges for the past six years (The clock stopped on 6 years on 27th July 2007 so it is 6 years from that date to todays date so 27th July 2001 to present day is what you should get)along with a cheque to cover the cost, today I recieved a bog standard letter off Abbey stating the usuall about the test case etc however no record of charges and they have not cashed the cheque as far as I can tell. What do I do as I cannot work out how much to claim for with out this. I was hoping to claim under hardship, as hubby and I are seperating and I will only have 3 months in our army quarters before having to move out to make it worse we are in Germany with 2 kids!! Oh I also recieved notification that they are reducing my OD by half on the 1st Sept to 500 no idea how I am going to manage this. Thank you in advance of any replies.
    Originally posted by debvan1
    You tell them that you want the information so you can make an informed choice.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • andyhart44r
    Great, so even convicts stand a better chance of reclaiming money than us norms.

Heres a thought, rob a bank to get back you're money, spend it, go to jail, you will be released by the time all the claims start being dealt with and by that time you will have your money again!

*Disclaimer* the above thoughts are in no way attributable to the poster. Do NOT take them seriously.
    Last edited by andyhart44r; 29-07-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: ..
  • natweststaffmember
    Great, so even convicts stand a better chance of reclaiming money than us norms.

Heres a thought, rob a bank to get back you're money, spend it, go to jail, you will be released by the time all the claims start being dealt with and by that time you will have your money again!

*Disclaimer* the above thoughts are in no way attributable to the poster. Do NOT take them seriously.
    Originally posted by andyhart44r
    LMFAO. I have no idea where that came from but it made me laugh(which is gonna sound weird as no one else is in my house at the minute )

• AshleyBones
    • By AshleyBones 7th Oct 09, 12:40 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    AshleyBones
    ABBEY - Offered service they cannot deliver
    Despite a £200 overdraft facility on our current a/c my wife and I have, on a number of occasions over the last few years, gone slightly over-drawn towards the end of the month.

A couple of months ago we went slightly over-drawn which resulted in charges of around £85 for the month, including one item of £35. This was the final straw for me and I asked for an appointment to discuss these charges.

The advisor I saw listened to my complaint and then left the office and returned and offered to refund the one charge of £35 or register a claim on my behalf for all charges over the last 8 years to be refunded. Without hesitation I asked to have all my charges reviewed.

The advisor then suggested that we could set up a second current a/c and ABBEY would carry out a 'sweep' from our existing a/c to the new a/c, leaving sufficient funds in the first a/c to cover our regular direct debits and bills, etc. We agreed to this and the a/c was set up, there and then.

Interestingly, the advisor made a point - in an amused way - of advising us that ABBEY would be happy to offer us an overdraft facility on this new a/c of £2,000. I found it staggering that despite judging we were a sufficiently good risk to offer a £2,000 overdraft facility, they had still been charging us obscenely high charges for going slightly over our agreed overdraft limit.

The following month, having received our bank cards and cheque book for the new a/c, we agreed the amount to be left in the existing a/c and received written confirmation that this 'sweep' had been set up, to take place on the 20th of each month.

Last month, on the 21st, we checked our exiting a/c to ensure the sweep had taken place.

It had not.

We had already made some payments from the new a/c and so immediately contacted the ABBEY phone line. They could offer no explanation and I was put through to the branch who also could offer no explanation.

We were told by ABBEY phone banking and by the branch that the 'sweep' facility was not a 'product' that ABBEY offered and they could not explain how we had been given written confirmation of the arrangement.

I was speechless but more interestingly, so were the ABBEY phone banking staff and the ABBEY branch staff.

I demanded an appointment and when I returned to the branch I was still offered no explanation or any idea as to what would happen now as regards future 'sweeps'. Fortunately, we had paid some funds into the new a/c, which covered the payments we had made.

Had this not been the case, presumably, ABBEY would have been charging us massive charges for going overdrawn on this new a/c.

The branch carried out a manual 'sweep'.

We are now going through the ABBEY complaints procedure and still have no idea what will happen on the 20th of this month.

It is a pity that ABBEY and the other international banks did not (and do not) try to get their basic banking skills honed before they launched into producing 'money-making' sub-prime products that brought the world's financial system to it's knees.
  • natweststaffmember
    If Abbey have put it in writing and if they have made charges to any account DIRECTLY as a result of this then you are owed a refund of charges that were made as a result of the new account. The charges previously applied may well be left in the queue for the conclusion of the OFT test case issues.

• Craig W
    Quick question (I know it'll be around here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it):

To which address do I need to send my Abbey bank charges reclaiming letter?

(I already have my statements I just need to send off my letter asking for the money back).

Many thanks.
  • natweststaffmember
    Quick question (I know it'll be around here somewhere but I haven't been able to find it):

To which address do I need to send my Abbey bank charges reclaiming letter?

(I already have my statements I just need to send off my letter asking for the money back).

Many thanks.
    Originally posted by Craig W
    Complaints
    Abbey
    PO Box 5129
    Milton Keynes
    MK9 2YN"

• Craig W
    Belated thanks.
    • Arnie91
    • By Arnie91 16th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Arnie91
    I got a letter back from santander today stating that they were unable to issue an individual list of fees and charges from an account. However, they could confirm any fees/charged insuured on a monthly statement and that copies would be requested.

Hilarious, they didnt mention it would cost money per copy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

8,588Users online

Martin's Twitter