Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 12th Oct 12, 10:29 PM
    • 3,703Posts
    • 33,930Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Making chicken feed of my mortgage
    • 12th Oct 12, 10:29 PM
    Making chicken feed of my mortgage 12th Oct 12 at 10:29 PM
    Hello

After reading lots of inspirational MFW diaries I have decided to start one of my own as a record of my progress and to keep me motivated.

When we relocated to our current house 4.5 years ago we gained a bedroom but more than doubled our mortgage
    Luckily Mr MWC had a very generous 4-year relocation package and even luckier it was paid out in full when he was made redundant 6 months later…

A little about the mortgage…

July 2002

Original mortgage (interest only)
    4.49% fixed rate
    Redemption date = July 2027
    £90,250

April 2008

Further advance (repayment)
    5.62% fixed rate
    Redemption date = April 2028
    £106,190

October 2012

Original mortgage (interest only)
    2.50% BMR
    Redemption date = April 2028
    £88,660

Further advance (repayment)
    2.50% BMR
    Redemption date = August 2026
    £79,832

We have been paying £134/month into a S&S ISA for the past 10 years to pay off the capital on the interest only mortgage - fingers crossed. Note to self: check performance of S&S ISA.

We made our first OP of £2,750 to the FA last November and this year we have OP’d the equivalent of paying the FA twice a month, every month

A little about me…

41 years old
    0 children
    7 chickens
    Work FT in a job that bores me to tears but pays well and allows me to finish at lunchtime on Fridays

A little about Mr MWC…

Happy to OP as long it doesn’t affect our lifestyle
    Recent convert to topcashback

Today I have…

Sold 2 boxes of eggs @ £1.25/box
    Shined my sink (after scrubbing it and bleaching it first)
    Made sausage, barley & kale stew for dinner
    Been unable to locate a dividend cheque for £265 that came in the post last week…

muddywhitechicken
Page 293
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 41,614 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The yellow gin is Ungava. It's made with plants and berries of the Canadian tundra - wild rose hips, crowberry, labrador tea, cloudberry, arctic blend and nordic juniper. The rose hips give it the yellow colour.
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    Ooof, that sounds wonderful - such romantic ingredients thanks for explaining

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Sep 17, 5:49 PM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 45,864 Thanks
    apple muncher
    The yellow gin is Ungava. It's made with plants and berries of the Canadian tundra - wild rose hips, crowberry, labrador tea, cloudberry, arctic blend and nordic juniper. The rose hips give it the yellow colour.
    I read it as nordic jumper... with bits of labradors ... Oops.
    NST Sept scrimper #2; NSD 9; Ex 7; craft 212; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2883/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 11th Sep 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I read it as nordic jumper... with bits of labradors ... Oops.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Haven't opened it yet, fingers crossed it doesn't smell like FIL's labrador...!

£34.45 share dividend cheque arrived in the post so equivalent funds transferred from current a/c to MOP holding a/c and then transferred a 55p TT. There should be a larger dividend on the way as well
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£47,000
    Current total overpayments: ~£111,250
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 13th Sep 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    In money news, the second dividend payment hasn't arrived yet... but I have signed up for 2017 Sharesave so from November I'll be paying the maximum £500/month into the scheme.

In other news, my winter salad plug plants arrived yesterday; I managed to get all 145 of them planted up before it got too dark and they seem to have survived Storm Aileen A shared responsibility fence panel wasn't so lucky - I knew I'd be lucky if it survived the winter but it's a bit disappointing that it didn't survive the first storm It fell into the neighbour's garden so I'll let them fix it and then pay half!

My nephew has had 2 trips to A&E this week and added another 2 foods to the list of foods that he can't eat
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 13th Sep 17, 2:45 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 41,614 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

My nephew has had 2 trips to A&E this week and added another 2 foods to the list of foods that he can't eat
    Oh muddy, that's not good to hear Are they completely 'new' foods, or part of the same 'families' of foodstuffs that have triggered reactions previously? Because I know that you said he could be fine with some foods that your SIL ate, but passed to him via BM, but couldn't eat himself directly. It must be such a worry for you all - and especially your brother and SIL. I can't imagine how exhausting all the stress of the worry must be for them.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • smallholdingsister
    • By smallholdingsister 13th Sep 17, 6:39 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 25,962 Thanks
    smallholdingsister
    Sounds like a good size. Try closing the vents when it is roaring. Is the wood dry?
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 14th Sep 17, 7:44 AM
    • 16,414 Posts
    • 107,581 Thanks
    gallygirl
    He returned bearing a gift - a bottle of yellow gin for the gin cupboard
    Does it fit .

Hope nephew ok and you make the wood burner bend to your will .
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 14th Sep 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    £96.01 share dividend received, rounded up to £100 and transferred to MOP holding account

New food allergies Greying They tried to introduce sesame seeds in the form of tahini on the advise of the paediatric dietitian and then a couple of days later he reacted to pumpkin seed butter which he'd previously been ok with...

The wood is kiln-dried ash SHS so it must have been operator error!
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Sep 17, 6:49 AM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 45,864 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Happy 16th wedding anniversary to you both . Have a lovely day xx
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,331 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Sep 17, 8:17 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 41,614 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    New food allergies Greying They tried to introduce sesame seeds in the form of tahini on the advise of the paediatric dietitian and then a couple of days later he reacted to pumpkin seed butter which he'd previously been ok with...

Oh that's rough muddy - doing what an 'expert' told them, and then having DN react to something he was previously OK with I feel for you all, I really do.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 15th Sep 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Happy 16th wedding anniversary to you both . Have a lovely day xx
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Thank you Mr MWC got home from his latest business trip in the early hours, I'm cooking dinner for him tonight and there is a bottle of fizz left from the family party

Oh that's rough muddy - doing what an 'expert' told them, and then having DN react to something he was previously OK with I feel for you all, I really do.

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    Thanks Greying. I admire SIL who is determined to carry on breastfeeding until at least his first birthday.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 41,614 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Thanks Greying. I admire SIL who is determined to carry on breastfeeding until at least his first birthday.
    It can be done Get's more difficult, as they become curious as to what else is going on around them. But it can be done. Your SIL is to be admired indeed

Happy wedding anniversay - September is obviously a popular month for weddings with MSE'rs

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 15th Sep 17, 12:48 PM
    • 6,299 Posts
    • 45,864 Thanks
    apple muncher
    We had an appointment today with an 'expert' (I admit, I was gobsmacked that it was suggested that introducing sesame - a well-known allergen - already was a good idea for your little nephew. Grrrr.) We arrived and were told a) we were not on the system, (despite having a letter - a hand-signed letter - that clearly stated it), b) it was the wrong sort of appointment for a Friday, c) could we come back on Tuesday.

It smacks of the trains not running because of 'the wrong sort of leaves' on the line...!
    017 sell 110

• Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 15th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 35,837 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    Must be a worry for you all. Good luck with it all, to you and all the family. X
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 15th Sep 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I cooked eat-your-greens mac 'n' cheese (the cover recipe from this month's Sainsbury's magazine) for dinner. A bit of a faff but delicious unfortunately Mr MWC was so impressed that he thinks I should cook more often
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 15th Sep 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3,778 Posts
    • 41,614 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I cooked eat-your-greens mac 'n' cheese (the cover recipe from this month's Sainsbury's magazine) for dinner. A bit of a faff but delicious unfortunately Mr MWC was so impressed that he thinks I should cook more often

Genie is outta the bottle, mwc - can't put it back

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

• muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 16th Sep 17, 8:23 AM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I can cook (I have an A level in home ec) but I can't be @rsed after a 45-60 minute commute home... Mr MWC can cook, enjoys it and works from home when he's not travelling... no brainer really I have offered to quit my job and be a housewife!

Plans for today:
    - walk into town to run a few errands
    - go to the supermarket (I have more £8 off a £40 spend coupons and lots of the things I normally buy are on offer )
    - housework
    - dodge the showers and potter in the garden
    - make a start on the book chapter I'm writing for work (I've been putting it off, it's freaking me out a lot and I wish I'd never agreed to do it )
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Sep 17, 11:00 AM
    • 27,715 Posts
    • 151,435 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Ooh, tell more about your book, if you can!

Otherwise ... yes, a no-brainer, Mr MWC should often be doing the cooking
    Retired August 2016
    • michelle09
    • By michelle09 16th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 752 Thanks
    michelle09
    If he can cook and likes it, then sounds like a brilliant plan. We just go with whoever is home first.

That's a great coupon - how did you manage that?
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 16th Sep 17, 10:22 PM
    • 3,703 Posts
    • 33,930 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Back to being commis chef and potwash this evening

We had a single-order Cook Well from W/rose recipe box (50% discount) delivered this afternoon so dinner was farro, beetroot and pecorino risotto with orange and thyme roasted baby carrots served with a radicchio (from the garden) salad. I'm impressed so far but, even with the 50% discount, it's too pricey for more than a very occasional order.

Mr MWC has contributed £200 to the cause so I've made a mid-month MOP of £500
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,364Posts Today

7,847Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin