Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 9th Oct 12, 8:34 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    Pension need to knows Official MSE Guide Discussion
    • 9th Oct 12, 8:34 PM
    Pension need to knows Official MSE Guide Discussion 9th Oct 12 at 8:34 PM

This discussion's specifically to discuss the new MSE Pension Need to Knows Guide.

Click Reply below to discuss it
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 22-10-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Page 8
    • jonon
    • By jonon 11th Aug 17, 9:46 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonon
    If you're employed do so save on no NI contribution on your pension payments?

I'm trying to work out how a Pension is better than a Lisa? If the final pot of a LISA is tax free, but the final pot of a Pension is taxable.
    Last edited by jonon; 11-08-2017 at 9:50 AM.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Aug 17, 10:00 AM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    if your employer offers salary sacrifice as a way of contributing to your pension then you benefit from the reduction in NI.
    • jonon
    • By jonon 11th Aug 17, 10:02 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonon
    Is there any way as self employed to get a reduction in NI with your pension?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Aug 17, 10:07 AM
    • 89,933 Posts
    • 56,611 Thanks
    dunstonh
    So if you contribute £800 the government add 25%?
    Originally posted by jonon
    20% tax relief does effectively mean it is 25% when you describe it that way. However, it is a tax relief. Not a bonus. So, it should be referred to as gross.
    If you're employed do so save on no NI contribution on your pension payments?
    Depends on how you make the contributions. An employer may offer salary sacrifice and this can lower then NI. If the employer does not offer this, then it will not. Personal contributions won't reduce NI either.

yes.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • jonon
    • By jonon 11th Aug 17, 10:11 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonon
    How do your pension contributions reduce your NI if self-employed?
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Aug 17, 10:40 AM
    • 89,933 Posts
    • 56,611 Thanks
    dunstonh
    How do your pension contributions reduce your NI if self-employed?
    Originally posted by jonon
    It is done via the tax return. Effectively, you have a lower income because of the pension contribution.

Much the same way that pension contributions can increase tax credit s and return child benefit for those earning over £50k a year.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 11th Aug 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,920 Posts
    • 1,894 Thanks
    greenglide
    You can always stop being self employed and set up a limited company instead.

There are pros and cons to this.
    • andy5241
    • By andy5241 6th Dec 17, 1:35 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    andy5241
    Hi I'm 62 and looking to retire shortly, I currently have around £150,000 in a defined contributions plan held with Zurich, but they're now in the process of changing everyone over to a Corporate Savings Platform so I have 2 plans running at the moment. Then by the end of next year the DC will be closed and moved to the CSP. Question is: should I take the benefits from the DC before the end of next year and if I did where's best to get information on Drawdown Providers.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 89,933 Posts
    • 56,611 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Hi I'm 62 and looking to retire shortly, I currently have around £150,000 in a defined contributions plan held with Zurich, but they're now in the process of changing everyone over to a Corporate Savings Platform so I have 2 plans running at the moment. Then by the end of next year the DC will be closed and moved to the CSP. Question is: should I take the benefits from the DC before the end of next year and if I did where's best to get information on Drawdown Providers.
    Originally posted by andy5241
    Insufficient information to answer that. There are multiple ways of doing things and the best way is the one that fits your circumstances, tax position and objectives. None of which we know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,015Posts Today

6,121Users online

Martin's Twitter