Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dronid
    • By dronid 5th Oct 12, 11:05 AM
    • 595Posts
    • 1,258Thanks
    dronid
    Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical
    • 5th Oct 12, 11:05 AM
    Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical 5th Oct 12 at 11:05 AM
    I just got my Christmas present. It was a reduced Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010. Needless to say, even though it was reduced it will be my only indulgence this year!

I think of it as Oldstyle as it will help me prepare home made food and hopefully make sure I can cut back on rubbish in preprepared food. That's my justification and I'm sticking to it!

I also consider it moneysaving as I have had various blenders and food processors over the last few years which have just burnt out from overuse. On that basis alone if this machine lasts 5 years then I will have broken even.

And now to be honest to myself I want to have a play! Has anyone got any advice, links to recipes or anything unusual or non-standard that you can do with this beast. Are there any other attachments that people have that they would recommend? This already has the food processor and the liquidiser.

Does it have a tea making attachment that no-one talks about?

Already made crumble and the flatmate made a spirrulina shake - he loves the taste of pond.

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

Current debt £7000 - loan. And a £4000 pound overdraft. That didn't work, did it?
Page 6
    • marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 4th Dec 12, 9:54 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    I used a higher speed this time too after reading andyt8's post. My loaves are now on their last prove, will report back later.
  • Rossy2692
    Just proving a loaf now hehe i love my Kenwood
    Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!!

Weightloss challenge 2/14

"Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get"
  • Rossy2692
    Do i slash my bread just before the oven after 2nd prove??

• marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 4th Dec 12, 11:02 AM
    • 969 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    I don't Rossy2692, I always wonder if I will knock the air out as I am doing it!
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 4th Dec 12, 11:03 AM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 35,886 Thanks
    Justamum
    Originally posted by Rossy2692
    Yes, but just make sure your knife is very sharp and preferably not serrated - dragging on the dough can make it flop a bit.

• Rossy2692
    Thanks peeps! Its onto its 2nd prove now so will sharpen my knife!!!

• peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 4th Dec 12, 12:18 PM
    • 16,892 Posts
    • 38,444 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I slash my rolls/sticks as I put them on the tray once they're shaped, before the 2nd prove. I once tried before putting them in the oven but it made a mess of them.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • andyt8
    • By andyt8 4th Dec 12, 3:27 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    andyt8
    I used a higher speed this time too after reading andyt8's post. My loaves are now on their last prove, will report back later.
    Originally posted by marmitepotato
    Hope it goes well. Just made my second batch of dough and its looking good. Could do a lot of the kneading between 1 & 2 - you can tell instantly if its working the dough by the sound of the motor.

I am also trying the cutting before the second prove rather than just before going into the oven... we'll see what happens.
  • Rossy2692
    Hope it goes well. Just made my second batch of dough and its looking good. Could do a lot of the kneading between 1 & 2 - you can tell instantly if its working the dough by the sound of the motor.
    Originally posted by andyt8
    What do you mean by the sound of the motor? Sometimes i think mine is struggling a bit!

• marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 4th Dec 12, 5:18 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    Ok, so my loaves are cold now. I have sliced them up and the texture is looking good. I will say that the dough flopped over the sides of the loaf pans on the second prove, but they still had risen well and were just as good as the last batch mixed on a slower speed.

From now on I will be kneading at a higher speed, mainly because I feel that the higher speed does knead, rather than the dough just going round and round on the hook at the lower setting.

And tomorrow we are making muffins! Didn't have time today.
    • andyt8
    • By andyt8 4th Dec 12, 6:06 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    andyt8
    What do you mean by the sound of the motor? Sometimes i think mine is struggling a bit!
    New Kenwoods have electronic speed control. So rather than the motor slowing down when the workload from kneading the dough increases, the electronic controller just increases the power. So the speed should stay the same but you do hear the motor and mechanicals working harder. My KMC510 has a 1000w motor which is over 1.3hp in old money. Quite powerful and more than most mains electric drills so most of the time it will be just idling. We have the mincer accessory and that also gives it some work - rest of the time making a sponge etc it's having a holiday.

A google threw up some interesting kneading videos (with sound):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Yr8scC7Jji0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TITdWsPcAds

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/campaign-pages/Diaster-Chef-Tutorial-Videos/Tutorial-Video-3rd-August/

No 2 shows quick bread making from start to finish..
  • Rossy2692
    New Kenwoods have electronic speed control. So rather than the motor slowing down when the workload from kneading the dough increases, the electronic controller just increases the power. So the speed should stay the same but you do hear the motor and mechanicals working harder. My KMC510 has a 1000w motor which is over 1.3hp in old money. Quite powerful and more than most mains electric drills so most of the time it will be just idling. We have the mincer accessory and that also gives it some work - rest of the time making a sponge etc it's having a holiday.

A google threw up some interesting kneading videos (with sound):-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=Yr8scC7Jji0&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TITdWsPcAds

http://www.kenwoodworld.com/uk/campaign-pages/Diaster-Chef-Tutorial-Videos/Tutorial-Video-3rd-August/

No 2 shows quick bread making from start to finish..
    Originally posted by andyt8
    Thanks for this!!! Feel alot more confident now! Great videos

• Rossy2692
    Oh my! Just made a batch of fruit scones, beaut!

• Justamum
    • By Justamum 5th Dec 12, 11:49 AM
    • 4,675 Posts
    • 35,886 Thanks
    Justamum
    Does anyone else find that when they make bread at a faster speed their machine wobbles around? I was making bread at just above 3 today and I had to hold on to it otherwise it would have ended up on the floor!

• marmitepotato
    • By marmitepotato 5th Dec 12, 12:09 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 2,026 Thanks
    marmitepotato
    Mine wobbled a little, but it stayed where it should on the work top. I only mix one loaf at a time tho.
  • Rossy2692
    Yeah mine wobbles abit but not to the pint when i am worried about it flying off the workbench

• shelley_crow
    I bought an a901 from a charity shop earlier in the year. I haven't made bread yet but dying to try it. I asked for a splashguard for Christmas, i made buttercream in it and it went everywhere. I need to make a cover for it really, don't want it getting toil dusty, i do like looking at it though!
  • Rossy2692
    Need to use him!!! Time is running out!!! Oh my!! hehe

• Rossy2692
    Hello peeps! well so far today i have made a loaf, which may i say has been my best one yet! and also have shortcrust pastry chilling in the fridge for my beef and leek pie tonight

• peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Dec 12, 4:11 PM
    • 16,892 Posts
    • 38,444 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I bought an a901 from a charity shop earlier in the year. I haven't made bread yet but dying to try it. I asked for a splashguard for Christmas, i made buttercream in it and it went everywhere. I need to make a cover for it really, don't want it getting toil dusty, i do like looking at it though!
    Originally posted by shelley_crow

Welcome shelley_crow, you're amongst friends now.
    Last edited by peachyprice; 06-12-2012 at 4:14 PM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

501Posts Today

4,091Users online

Martin's Twitter