Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical
Views: 24,919
# 21
Rossy2692
Old 12-11-2012, 4:22 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/kenwood...40919-pdt.html

This is my lil beauty!!!!
Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!!

Weightloss challenge 2/14

"Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get"
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
Justamum
Old 12-11-2012, 6:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossy2692 View Post
That's quite a bargain. Curry's recently opened over here - I haven't been yet but it might be worth having a look.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I don't use Twitter myself. I simply walk around with a mega-phone announcing at random intervals what I am doing.. I have three followers already. Though I suspect two of them may be policemen..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justamum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
LV Sue
Old 12-11-2012, 7:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightraven3 View Post
i dont know if they still do the potato peeler thingy?
i remember years ago my dad got one for his Kenwood
we loaded the potatoes in
switched it on and waited
lots of rumbling around
we opened it and all the lovely big potatoes were the size of marbles

ok we left them in too long
but it was one of those, we used once and never again

it was a huge metal bowl with a lid, and it was lined with what appeared to be metal looking sandpaper

what a thing to clean as well

Ooh I had one of those with my first Chef about 40 years ago! Another thing that was only used once and consigned to the back of the cupboard. I'm glad it came with my Chef and I didn't have to buy it as an extra! I sent it to a jumble sale in the end and someone was delighted with her purchase. I wonder if she still has it?

I'm on my 2nd chef now - the first one burnt out after 40 years of use. I will say though, that my new(ish) one is not as powerful as my original one. I think the current models have different size motors. My younger daughter inherited my friend's Chef (about 35 years old) and it seems to work better than my new one. Hers also has a glass/Pyrex bowl whereas mine is plastic. My elder daughter has the titanium Chef and that certainly is more powerful than mine.

Last edited by LV Sue; 12-11-2012 at 7:14 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LV Sue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
ALIBOBSY
Old 12-11-2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justamum View Post
Was it cheaper than this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-Tita.../dp/B000UE8UMG

I'd love one but
Thats the one I have and I love it, but I didn't pay anything like that, think it was about 239 ish, but it was about 4 yrs ago ish somewhere online-will have a look to see if I can see where it was from.

I know I searched for a while for the best price and this was an offer and miles better than anywhere else.

Mind you the money came from a competition win anyway so really I suppose it was free lol.

I am the only one who gives it a little stroke when I walk into the kitchen . Love mine, but I have never got around to using it from breadmaking much. I am thinking with bread prices likely to shoot up in the next year because of the wheat harvest failures its a good time to get into my own breadmaking.

Ali x
"Overthinking every little thing
Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ALIBOBSY For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
purpleivy
Old 12-11-2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Vics View Post
I've inherited one that was made sometime in the late 1960s and am just about to send it off to be rennovated. SO EXCITED!
Where are you sending it? I think mine would benefit. It's the best thing ever I got off freecycle! My mum had one when I was a child.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
200 per month budget Trying not to waste food!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to purpleivy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
jalapenojojo
Old 12-11-2012, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Makro!

Quote:

This is my lil beauty!!!!
I got this one from Makro about 4/5 years ago - it was 100 + VAT - unbelievable price!! I haven't seen it so cheap since and I have to say I didn't realise how expensive they are now until I was talking to someone at work about them.

Love it to bits for cakes and dough. It gets a bit worrying how entertaining it is to watch the dough being flung around the bowl.

I haven't done mashed potato in mine - is it just a case of using the k-beater and mixing it all up? (This seems so simple, why have I not thought of this before?!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalapenojojo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
craigywv
Old 12-11-2012, 8:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justamum View Post
Maybe she thinks everyone sits in front of Strictly Big X Ice Talent Get Me Out of Here with a box of Mr Kipling's finest

70 is an excellent price for even the cheapest brand new one - but which model is it?
hi its a kenwood classic silver metal bowl same as the link in post above its great!!!!!!!!!1 and yes your right she buys EVERYTHING readymade and i mean EVERYTHING must cost her a fortune in food a week she brought in those tiny pots of fruit about 3 quid and readymade sandwiches or ate out ......i used to be jelous, dont know what shes doing now as i left work in Feb.
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to craigywv For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
Justamum
Old 13-11-2012, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigywv View Post
hi its a kenwood classic silver metal bowl same as the link in post above its great!!!!!!!!!1 and yes your right she buys EVERYTHING readymade and i mean EVERYTHING must cost her a fortune in food a week she brought in those tiny pots of fruit about 3 quid and readymade sandwiches or ate out ......i used to be jelous, dont know what shes doing now as i left work in Feb.
It sounds like her mum was trying to tactfully let her know she was being too extravagent. Oh well, your gain
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I don't use Twitter myself. I simply walk around with a mega-phone announcing at random intervals what I am doing.. I have three followers already. Though I suspect two of them may be policemen..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justamum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
Rossy2692
Old 13-11-2012, 6:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Loaf of bread proving in my Kenwood bowl tonight

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Rossy2692
Old 16-11-2012, 6:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well got withdrawl from my Kenwood as i didnt use it yesterday :O So today i had a short work day so home i came and started him up!!!

Loaf, choc cake, buttermilk scones and bread rolls for tea Phew am bushed!!! Love love love my Kenwood!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
Rossy2692
Old 17-11-2012, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Pancake batter this morning! Yeah i could have done it by hand but am still trying everything out! hehe bread rolls were a hit last night to go with the chargrilled chicken! little homemade touches elevate a simple meal dontcha think!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
pollyskettle
Old 17-11-2012, 10:50 AM

I've had my Kenwood Chef a couple of years now. It took me a few months to get into using it regularly as I was so used to doing it all by hand, but I've since freecycled my breadmaker as I do it in the Kenwood and it's so much better. I also make icing in it, sometimes I mash the potatoes in it if I'm doing loads of things at once. I don't mix cakes in it as I have a lovely cream kMix I got silly cheap last year and so I use that. I also have the ice cream maker which is a nice attachment but thoroughly unneccessary. I also have a separate food processor now as it's easier for me and it was about the same price as the attachment.... my kitchen looks like a Kenwood showroom!

I'm off to make some potato rolls and some monkey bread in it now!
"A cat can have kittens in the oven, but that don't make them biscuits." - Mary Cooper
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful" - William Morris
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pollyskettle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Rossy2692
Old 17-11-2012, 2:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Haha ooooo how lucky you are! I have a kenwood processor that i have had for about 7 years, liquidizer is actually better than the one that cme with my chef, I love the bread i am able to make in my chef as i have never produced the same results by hand and i just know i wouldnt be able to, i am looking forward to trying the mashed potato in my chef, every labour saving minute will be relished haha mostly using my little kenwood processor today as making chicken curry so its a great help for the onions and garlic puree

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
marmitepotato
Old 17-11-2012, 3:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have a Kenwood Kmix. I love it and have never baked so much in all my life. It was expensive but I consider it justifiable as I use it so much. I just wish there were more recipe books out there for stand mixers as I am still learning the finer art of what to add, when, and at what speed, for how long!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marmitepotato For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Rossy2692
Old 17-11-2012, 4:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Look on the internet, saves buying books that you really dont need or what i am going to do is just adapt the recipes i have got in the recipe book that came with my chef, recipes are a guideline and require our own flair haha thats what my nanna used to say and she was a FANTASTIC baker

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
fionamadcat
Old 17-11-2012, 5:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I inherited my granny's 1960's Kenwood chef and love it, its not pretty but it makes great cakes and bread.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fionamadcat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
scaredy_cat
Old 17-11-2012, 6:55 PM

qvc have been selling them for under 400 with lots of attachments - go through topcashback and get another 5% discount
Cats don't have owners - they have staff!!

DFW Long Hauler Supporter No 150

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scaredy_cat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
littlesnuggy
Old 17-11-2012, 7:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I've been looking at this as I really really reeealllllly want a Kenwood but don't want to ask my OH for a Christmas present that costs hundreds (was originally looking at the Titanium ones but even on offer on Amazon they're almost 400).

Is the body of this one plastic or metal and does it seem robust enough? Also, I saw one demo'd on TV recently with the multimill grinder that attaches on the top - could you buy that separately and use is with this model do you know?

Love reading all the things you're making with it, but makes me want one even more!

I'm hoping there might be a good deal either on eBay tomorrow or Amazon Black Friday so might wait until then to decide
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to littlesnuggy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
kittie
Old 17-11-2012, 7:16 PM

I bought a titanium 5 years ago and loved it but it was too big in my new house, so gave it to dd plus all the myriad accessories. For a year she used it to make bread and that was basically it, then her dh, now a house husband, discovered what it can really do and he LOVES it and I loved the sausages he made with it. I am so glad that they now appreciate the gift I gave them.

I could not do without a decent mixer, I tried for almost two years but I succumbed and bought myself the kmix in almond. It is fab and does all I need it to do, yesterday I used the fruit strainer and made a beautiful coulis and three days ago I used it to rasp a kg of parmesan. Tomorrow I will make cake

I have always had a chef, for 40 years non stop until a little while ago
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kittie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
Rossy2692
Old 18-11-2012, 9:05 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Aww what a fab thread!!! I cant tell you enough how much i love my chef!! Kitchen life was bland before chef! haha yes you can get attachments including the mincer for this one, It is metal body and it moves a bit when making dough for bread but i dont mind this, especially for that price! I am not so bothered at the minute about attachments but am sure in time i will have a look. I felt a but uneasy mentioning that i would like a chef but then i thought about the time and money this will save and also my happiness in the kitchen which of course is.....PRICELESS!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rossy2692 For This Useful Post: Show me >>