Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    eskimo26
    Violent special needs/autism teenager help!
    • 4th Oct 12, 12:38 AM
    Violent special needs/autism teenager help! 4th Oct 12 at 12:38 AM
    Hi all,
    I know from regular reading their are a lot of parents here with the knowledge i need.

As of tonight my uncle has given me permission to speak on his behalf with the social worker regarding my Niece, and said social worker has been sent an e-mail telling her as much.

My niece is 14/15 with an assessed mental age of 8/9 with a secondary diagnosis of autism, conditions she has had since birth.

My uncle and his family are no longer able to cope with her care.

Tonight the police were called to deal with my Niece physically assaulting her parents, this is a regular occurrence and the Police officer said his report with be scathing towards the support they are receiving from social services.

My Niece does not act out at school or social clubs but has been assaulting my Uncle and Aunt 'since the moment she wakes to the time she sleeps' for almost 5 years. [he was embarrassed to tell us.]

My sister who has worked with autistic children before went round tonight to see if we can calm her down, the Police officer picked us up and told us if we can't calm her down they will have no choice but to take her to the cells for the night.

My sister then spent the last 4 hours being beaten black and blue using techniques she had learnt to try and get her to sleep, she was still awake when we left though calmer.

They have told me they want her to be put in a suitable boarding situation as they are no longer able to cope. My uncle would like her back in the Holidays but not my Aunt. [ i think this is her depression and the stress of the immediate situation, truth to tell i think she will miss her terribly.]

Her twin [no health problems] is sitting her GCSE's and is becoming extremely stressed, her Mother is similarly stressed and is dealing with worsening depression. More importantly my Uncle is 63 has to take oxygen every night and as a result of the stress had a stroke a week ago and was in hospital for 2 days.

I worry about his health.

I need to know the quickest way to give them long term respite or to have her placed in a relevant boarding care home.

I have read the social report from a year ago initiated by a similar incident as tonight where the Police were called. There is a lot of talk of 'inconsistant parenting', there are police notifications on the report [4 in 2 months] and many other details.

Analysis of needs and risk states ' ~ is a Child in Need under section 17 of the children act 1989...'

There is an acknowledgement the parents are desperate for support to meet her needs and then are some recommendations that she will benefit from an independent carer, she recommends the implementation of a care package once the provision of universal services have been explored.

This was a year ago and as far as i'm aware they have not had a care package implemented or any carer brought in. Her class teacher from her special school came to help in the mornings because she was causing trouble getting ready for school but this was only for a few weeks, a community nurse has been involved for several years.

They have reached breaking point, how can i get them the help they need as quickly as possible. I'm going to contact the social worker and cc her manager about my concerns with regards to the report from a year ago being ignored.

What can be done and how do i go about getting it done quickly before my Uncle's next visit to Hospital is fatal?

Thank you so much, it took a lot for my Uncle to contact us and get us involved, he has been very private about it and says he is 'embarrassed'. I told him it is a situation anyone would struggle with never mind a pensioner with serious health problems and a wife with depression who also has the burden of being his carer!

Wow long. Please ask anything relevant questions as i said i know their are parents out there who's children have similar care needs.

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by eskimo26; 04-10-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Page 5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,457Posts Today

6,230Users online

Martin's Twitter