Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lushplus4
    • By lushplus4 3rd Oct 12, 1:57 PM
    • 275Posts
    • 548Thanks
    lushplus4
    Black slate tiles always look dusty
    • 3rd Oct 12, 1:57 PM
    Black slate tiles always look dusty 3rd Oct 12 at 1:57 PM
    I have black natural slate tiles in my bathroom and they constantly look dusty. The only time they look good is when they are still wet just after I have cleaned them. As soon as they are dry they back to a grey dusty looking tile.

When they were originally laid the tiler did put a sealant on them and they were ok for a while but not long.

Please can anyone recommend any products or anything I can do.

I have tried star drops, washing up liquid, flash, down on my hands and knees etc to no avail.
Page 2
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 25th Feb 13, 11:57 AM
    • 10,040 Posts
    • 24,744 Thanks
    suki1964
    Is this the deep groved slate?

There is a slate cleaner you can buy but it's a flaff because first you have got to scrub the dirt off then go over with the cleaner and leave it to dry

I gave up when the bottle ran out. Got it from B&Q. Can't mind the name of it

In the end I used either flash or stardrops and a deck brush with a mop after to mop up the muck

Then I ripped it all out and got easy clean porcelain
    • empressemma
    • By empressemma 25th Feb 13, 12:50 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    empressemma
    There was a thread a while ago about slate floors... Have a search x
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 25th Feb 13, 1:19 PM
    • 8,738 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Try this site
    http://www.tileandstoneblog.co.uk/cleaning/cleaning-slate-expert-advice-on-cleaning-slate-and-slate-floors-part-1/
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 25th Feb 13, 1:59 PM
    • 2,897 Posts
    • 6,562 Thanks
    tori.k
    If it's just heavy house hold grime you can easy make your own alkaline cleaner with some washing soda, borax sub & a little washing up liquid mixed with water and scrub with a stiff brush. long term I would seal the slate makes cleaning it so much easier
  • tpt
    have a look at lithofin, file or ltp products. if you really want a deep clean then a product called grimex is perfect, but you'll need to re-seal it afterwards with mattstone or stain-stop.
    • craigywv
    • By craigywv 25th Feb 13, 8:14 PM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 27,825 Thanks
    craigywv
    my mum has these slates on her floor and they are very hardy well they do go on your roof , she just gets fairy liquid and a mop and splodges it on and leaves it to soak then one of us gets a scrubbing brush and scrubs the bejaysus out of them, cleanmop over them then get an old towel and dry them off hers arnt sealed either. she does this deep clean once a year and has been doing so for over 30 yrs so no probs hope this helps.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 26th Feb 13, 8:23 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,792 Thanks
    zippychick
    ive merged this with an older similar thread

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• katsclaws
    • By katsclaws 26th Mar 13, 11:46 AM
    • 338 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    katsclaws
    I've posted on the pets thread about getting a slate floor as our puppy has ripped and chewed vinyl floor in our utility room.
    Are riven slate floors suitable for dogs. ? The vinyl needed constant washing but I don't want a floor that the dogs are going to slip on especially our elderly labrador.
    • Kerrie37
    • By Kerrie37 20th Apr 17, 5:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kerrie37
    Black tiled floor is a nightmare!
    I have the same problem.. Ive just tackled mine with whatever I could find in the cupboard!

sprayed the areas that had the watermarks with cillit bang, left for 20 minutes and then went over the whole floor with Fairy washing up liquid and warm water this came up really good but I still went over it with the steamer (with brush attachment). Looks like new but I've just ordered the Lithofin slate seal..

Thanks for the tip.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

694Posts Today

5,999Users online

Martin's Twitter