Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    • 210Posts
    • 489Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver"
    • 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver" 2nd Oct 12 at 10:19 PM
    I'd like to start my diary by making a declaration - I am currently neither Frugal nor a Saver .

I'm starting a diary in the hope that it will help motivate me to become frugal and once debts are paid off I would like to become a saver.

I have been watching over this forum for a number of years and felt inspired by so many stories but it is only recently I have felt the urge to get a grip on my debt. I think it might be an age thing, I'm getting to a point in life where I'd like to be married and have kids. The main thing holding me back on either of these is money (I have a loving boyfriend of 7 years, the main disagreements we ever have are about money).

My debt is not a lot compared to a lot of people on this forum but to me it is a mountain (currently approx £10,030). I could go on for ages about how I ended up in this situation but that's not going to help me get out of the debt.

I'm not worried if anyone reads my diary, there is a selfish element in that I hope it will help me change my spending/borrowing habits. But also I hope it will help inspire others in the same way I have been inspired reading other peoples diaries.

I would also like to apologise in advance if I go off in a tangent, I am well known for starting a conversation about one topic and ending on something completely unrelated.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my posts.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £7,952.15 (25%)
    Hope to be debt free by 30 (December 2016)
Page 9
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 13th Oct 16, 8:00 AM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Hi there!
    I've been reading through your diary from the beginning and am willing you every success.
    I'm sorry that your relationship with your oh has been so difficult. It must be so difficult managing all that you do alone. But you are obviously well able to and more. I'm glad your family is so supportive.
    Your oh seems to have an immature attitude to money. Once a child is involved I would have thought planning for the future becomes an obvious necessity. I'm sure you'll find a way through. You're clearly a resourceful, intelligent and thoughtful woman. Enjoy your lo while she's so young.
    Vx
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 13th Oct 16, 10:05 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thank you so much Verbatim, it feels like therapy posting on here sometimes! It's nice to know someone is reading.

Doing very well with my money saving ways at the moment. Heating has been off since yesterday morning, I've currently got a spare single duvet over the summer duvet, at the weekend I'll change to the winter duvet. Hoping to keep heating off until Saturday.

Today was a spending day but I managed to stick to my shopping list of about 4 items (even included Halloween outfit for LO) total spending since Sunday is less than £25 which isn't bad considering my old habits. £4.00 was on the Halloween outfit for DD so I'm quite pleased with myself overall.

Don't plan on spending any money now until next Sunday, should be achievable.

OH is due back at the weekend to look after DD on Monday and Tuesday then we're all off for a week to stay with his family and then on to a family wedding from my side. Really looking forward to it. Will be the first time I've been on a proper night out since DD was born (she'll be 2 in January).
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 15th Oct 16, 7:54 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Can't believe it's the weekend again, I'm not complaining but time does seem to be flying by at the moment. Got my NSD yesterday, hopefully today will be the same.

LO woke up briefly at 4am so took the opportunity to turn on the heating ready for getting up. When it's too cold at the weekends I struggle to find the motivation to do housework when I get up so I find this helps. I've already turned it off as I got too hot sorting out the washing.

Washing is already on, will hang it up indoors while the house is still warm.

Hoping to make it to rhyme time with LO this morning but have a feeling she will probably be needing a nap by then.

Lunch is left overs from dinner last night and dinner will be pizza.

Need to keep up with surveys when I get the chance. I did some on my work laptop last night, it was so much easier than doing it on the phone just couldn't get Swagbucks to work.

Need to try and pack at some point. I'm working Monday and Tuesday and then we're leaving Tuesday night so LO can sleep in the car. A long 6/7 hour car journey is no fun with DD awake most of the time.

While DD is sleeping this morning I will try and do a meal plan up to Tuesday and write a shopping list. I don't think we'll need much, the freezer is full so should be able to find something for 3 days.

Need to spend some time this evening downloading photos from a cloud drive onto an external harddrive. I have a ridiculous number of photos saved on Onedrive, it used to have a generous size for free but in the summer they reduced it significantly. I've been meaning to sort it out for ages but have a feeling it's going to be a long process so I've been putting it off.

I will probably have a few days to myself while we are away. DD will be spending lots of time with her grandparents and OH will be working. I might take the opportunity to catch up on the free online magazines I have access to through my local library. I used to screen shot recipes from recipe magazines but I have no space on my phone so I will have to write any down that I think I will actually try.

We're going to a wedding next Saturday so might spend Friday pampering myself, take a relaxing bath, paint my nails etc.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 15th Oct 16, 9:47 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Another successful NSD. Made it to the library this morning without too much hassle. LO fell asleep on the way back do that gave me a chance to have a coffee in peace when we got back. LO seemed intent on staying outside all afternoon but the garden won't do apparently, she likes it when we just go fir a random wander around the estate where we live. Had to bribe her with a promise of cakes on one occasion and her favourite DVD a second time, I was too exhausted to stay out any later, she might not feel the effects of waking up at 4am like I do!

This evening I made bread and butter pudding to use up some of the bread, there was a ridiculous amount in the freezer and it's such a simple recipe. Didn't let the crusts go to waste, they're now crumbs in the freezer. I think I need to start finding ways if using up the breadcrumbs next, I have thought about putting it on top of pasta bakes but always forget.

I've become so frugal recently I think I would be ashamed if friends or family knew what I was doing. When LO comes home with cakes in sandwich bags I reuse the sandwich bag. I also reuse the bag bread loaves come in, I was disappointed when OH bought bread which came in a paper bag the other day, he would nit understand if I told him!

I might get away with not using my car all weekend, I don't think I need much to keep us going until we go away so I think we might just walk to local Tesco express to get the few bits we need. I will probably pay slightly more than if j went to aldi but it's preferable to navigating aldi on a Sunday for only a few things. I could walk to aldi but LO is at that stage where she very often doesn't want to walk or go in the pushchair so any journeys on foot take a lot longer than they should.

My plan to download photos from one drive is not looking good, is taking forever to download just a few photos I went to download the largest video and t said it would take 2 hours. I either need to get it running first thing in the morning or wait until we have broadband instead of the portible Wi-Do.

Tomorrow should be another quiet day. Might try and do some baking with cupboard ingredients.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 16th Oct 16, 11:20 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    So today will not go to plan at all but I'm not worried, I'll just come up with another one instead.

It's been raining all morning and was so dark at one point I had to put a light on. Walking to the shops is not an option so either I had to think about jumping in the car or see if we could make do until tomorrow.

Finally came up with an idea for dinner tonight; tuna pasta bake. Only now DD has been sick so I'm not sure this would be a good idea. Most unlike her to be sick so need to keep an eye on her, seems happy enough just now though.

Looks like I'm going to have an unexpected NSD today so that's not too bad
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 16th Oct 16, 12:31 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Hope lo is ok and has no more sickness.
    I use breadcrumbs to make gratin. Bottom of frige veg also get used up this way. Some cheese mixed in with veg and/ or sprinkled on top make a nice dish either an extra for a roast or a week day meal with more veg. If you have the oven on anyway it's v frugal. Freezes well too.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 21st Oct 16, 9:01 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Argh!! I typed a really long reply on Sunday but something happened on my phone and it disappeared before I submitted it, I was so annoyed I haven't even bothered updating my diary all week out of protest!

Thanks for the suggestion verbatim, will try and remember that.

I have come on here today to make a confession as I am feeling bad about some spending yesterday. We are now staying with inlaws for a few days and they are more than happy to keep LO occupied while I have a bit of a break. Yesterday I went over to the local retail park which is walking distance from where they live. I went with the intention of returning a jacket which is too small for LO and getting a wedding card. I ended up buying myself some new boots and I went to costa to treat myself to coffee and cake. Boots went on CC, to be honest I have needed a new pair for a few years now as my old ones are really worn out and faded but I struggle to find any that fit my odd shaped feet.

Even before my purchase yesterday I had started a list of targets to set myself for next month but I think it's even more important now to focus and not fall off the wagon. Targets will start Monday as that's when I get paid.

Hoping to make today a NSD, won't make up for yesterday but it does make me feel better.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 21st Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Enjoy your boots. You are "allowed" some new clothes you know!
    and the occasional coffee while child free is essential.
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 29th Oct 16, 11:44 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I've been so busy this week I've not had a chance to update my diary.

Payday has been and gone and I've not got enough money to pay the bills. Don't think I'll even be getting any money from OH this month, we had a massive argument the other day and haven't really talked since. Might have to swallow my pride and accept the offer of money from my dad. Not really sure what to do long term wise.

I've been feeling down since fall out with OH but I've got plenty of housework to get on with today to keep my mind off things. If only LO would let me get on with it. She's got a temperature this morning and just wants to nap on me on the sofa, every time I try to leave her she gets upset which isn't like her. Hopefully she'll be feeling better this afternoon or tomorrow so I can get things done.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 29th Oct 16, 3:49 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Whether or not you're "friends" with your child's father he has a responsibility to contribute to her support.
    Accept help from your Dad if you can bear to. In another 25 years you'll be hoping your dd would do the same if you offered!
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 29th Oct 16, 10:02 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    It's not that OH won't contribute, more that he can't, he has no money (he's practically working at a loss at the moment and has more debts than me) and expects me to get a better paid job because he basically can't stay in a job.

He has said many times now that he's prepared to declare himself bankrupt but hasn't done anything about it. I've suggested coming on this site (hope he never finds/recognises this diary) but he's not interested.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

1,777Users online

Martin's Twitter