Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    • 210Posts
    • 489Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver"
    • 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver" 2nd Oct 12 at 10:19 PM
    I'd like to start my diary by making a declaration - I am currently neither Frugal nor a Saver .

I'm starting a diary in the hope that it will help motivate me to become frugal and once debts are paid off I would like to become a saver.

I have been watching over this forum for a number of years and felt inspired by so many stories but it is only recently I have felt the urge to get a grip on my debt. I think it might be an age thing, I'm getting to a point in life where I'd like to be married and have kids. The main thing holding me back on either of these is money (I have a loving boyfriend of 7 years, the main disagreements we ever have are about money).

My debt is not a lot compared to a lot of people on this forum but to me it is a mountain (currently approx £10,030). I could go on for ages about how I ended up in this situation but that's not going to help me get out of the debt.

I'm not worried if anyone reads my diary, there is a selfish element in that I hope it will help me change my spending/borrowing habits. But also I hope it will help inspire others in the same way I have been inspired reading other peoples diaries.

I would also like to apologise in advance if I go off in a tangent, I am well known for starting a conversation about one topic and ending on something completely unrelated.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my posts.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Current debt £7,952.15 (25%)
    Hope to be debt free by 30 (December 2016)
Page 8
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 14th Nov 13, 7:52 AM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 29,329 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    Good luck for your interview!
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt (22/11/16) £7037.31
    Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 14th Nov 13, 7:02 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thanks, think it went really well but then I always think I've done well the last few interviews I've done but never got the job.

I'm really hopeful though as they're recruiting for quite a few positions. The pay would be the same as my current basic salary (commission is approximately an extra £2,000pa on top that) but I would be working less hours so that makes up for it and I would get my Saturdays back! There would also be more benefits and room for progression which I don't have in my current job.

I've got my fingers crossed. OH should hopefully have a temp job sorted tomorrow to tide him over until he gets something more permanent.

Didn't have a particularly good start to the day, went to have a shower but it wasn't warming up so I had to have a quick bath. Landlord is coming around tomorrow to look at the shower so I hope he can fix it.

I will be spending the weekend away seeing a friend I haven't seen in nearly a year. I thought about cancelling it because of lack of money but I could really do with getting away for a few days and we have so much to catch up on we wont need to go out, we can stay at hers and drink wine which my mum gave me last week.

Tomorrow I will think about posting my list of things to do for the rest of my time off in the hope that it will motivate me to do them!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 18th Nov 13, 5:15 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I'm thoroughly enjoying my time off work

Spent the weekend seeing a friend, very MSE as the only money I spent (not including petrol) was on coffee. I even got away with not paying for parking as someone who was just leaving offered their ticket which was still valid for long enough.

Took car for MOT and service today, I'd allocated £200 but it only came it £170 so that was a relief. Will need to look at getting new tyres for the rear very soon as they only just passed.

Off to the cinema tonight, not costing a penny as it was free tickets and we won't get any drinks or sweets. The cinema is right next to the supermarket where I need to get something anyway so not really even costing any extra petrol!

Tomorrow I will begin the big task of thoroughly tidying the house. The house is relatively tidy now but every so often I like to have a proper clean.

Had to get ink for the printer today as we've completely run out of both black and colour. Fortunately I had enough amazon vouchers that it's not cost me anything which is good considering we don't have much money at the moment and it's not something I can really justify spending cash on.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 19th Nov 13, 8:37 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Starting to accept that I probably haven't got the job. I did ask at the interview when I would hear from them but they went off on a tangent and I forgot to revert back to the original question. If I don't hear anything by mid afternoon tomorrow I will give them a call.

In more exciting news OH started a new job today, slightly less money than what he was on before and more of a commute (took an hour to get home this evening compared to 20mins max in the old job) however it is less responsibility and less hours. We can certainly survive with the pay cut, he's admitted himself he wastes money when he has it so he knows he needs to be more careful now.

We both enjoyed the trip to the cinema last night to see saving Mr Banks, made a nice change to go out. The only time we ever go to the cinema is when it's free as OH isn't that keen on paying money to sit in a dark room for a few hours.

Today I have scrubbed the kitchen, the only thing left to do is the oven and mopping the floor, I feel a real sense of achievement from doing that.

Tomorrow I will finish the kitchen before undoing all my good work by doing some baking/cooking (at least it won't be so difficult to clean). After that I will scrub the bathroom and put up the new shower curtain.

As I'm without my car for the rest of the week I've made a meal plan for the rest of the week and just popped to the shops to buy nearly everything we need to last the week. I will have treat on Thursday,a local bakery make all their bread and cakes etc in a factory right near where we live (sometimes you can even smell it) and i just found out you can go to the factory itself to buy things fresh and even better they accept luncheon vouchers which i received in the post from a survey site I joined last week.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 20th Nov 13, 10:27 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I've been offered the job

I'm so excited. As with OH it's slightly less pay (well the same as my current basic which is what I budget for every month), however the advantages certainly make up for this:
    • Less hours (9am-5.30pm instead of 9am-6pm)
    • No working on Saturdays
    • 2 more days holiday
    • Far more opportunity to progress
    It's not that much further to commute than where I work now (it's actually in the same area as OH old job), I'm even excited about going back to somewhere that has dress down Friday, it used to make me think it wasn't a proper working day! I've also found out since going to the interview that OH knows someone who's partner works there and said it's a really good place to work.

I would start 2nd January, just need to hand my notice when I go back to work on Monday. I feel awful about having to do this as I feel loyal to the people I work with and I'm going to put them in a really difficult situation as someone else is leaving this week and they haven't been able to replace them yet, I was going to be helping cover their workload until they find a replacement (I did offer, this wasn't excepted of me).

Just waiting for OH to call now so I can tell him the good news.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 21st Nov 13, 12:19 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    OH and I had a small discussion last night about finances, basically he's not happy that he's paying a larger portion of the bills compared to me. He earns more money than me, has less debt but will now be spending a lot more petrol (using my car).

So I've told him that I will pay 1/2 of all the bills but I will revert to buying basic products when it comes to the food shopping as I cannot afford to spend as much as I am now.

I have become more organised recently with meal planning which has helped out a great deal but there is still room for improvement.

The real test will come in the new year when I get my first pay from my new job. At least with a set salary I will be able to budget a lot easier. If I am to contribute equally to the bills I wont be able to make overpayments on my loan unless there is any money left at the end of the month. I will therefore be relying completely on Surveys etc to make overpayments. I may also change my target from "debt free by 30" to "loan free by 30" (leaving just my credit card outstanding) which is achievable if I make a few overpayments here and there.

Speaking of overpayments, I have £20 in my PayPal account and £40 pending at the moment. If I can make it to payday (next Friday) without needing any of this money I will put it all towards overpaying my loan.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • WantToBeSE
    • By WantToBeSE 21st Nov 13, 2:55 PM
    • 7,315 Posts
    • 29,329 Thanks
    WantToBeSE
    I've been offered the job

I'm so excited. As with OH it's slightly less pay (well the same as my current basic which is what I budget for every month), however the advantages certainly make up for this:
    • Less hours (9am-5.30pm instead of 9am-6pm)
    • No working on Saturdays
    • 2 more days holiday
    • Far more opportunity to progress
    It's not that much further to commute than where I work now (it's actually in the same area as OH old job), I'm even excited about going back to somewhere that has dress down Friday, it used to make me think it wasn't a proper working day! I've also found out since going to the interview that OH knows someone who's partner works there and said it's a really good place to work.

I would start 2nd January, just need to hand my notice when I go back to work on Monday. I feel awful about having to do this as I feel loyal to the people I work with and I'm going to put them in a really difficult situation as someone else is leaving this week and they haven't been able to replace them yet, I was going to be helping cover their workload until they find a replacement (I did offer, this wasn't excepted of me).

Just waiting for OH to call now so I can tell him the good news.
    Originally posted by Frugal Saver
    Well done!!

You must be so pleased! What great news Do you mind me asking what the job is?
    #20- 3/6 month emergency fund challenge.

Debt Free Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5501794

Total debt (22/11/16) £7037.31
    Estimated DFD Jan 2018
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 21st Nov 13, 10:17 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thanks, I'm so excited, it's working in an office for a multinational office printer company. I'll be in the billing department, I should hopefully have an email from them tomorrow confirming the exact details.

I wont be dealing with the general public anymore which is something I struggle with at the moment. I find that people can be demanding and I struggle to shut down when I go home at night as the work I do currently can directly affect peoples lives and I can take things so personally (I work for an estate agent in the lettings department).
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 23rd Nov 13, 10:49 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I'm feeling very organised today. Last night I sorted out a meal plan for the week and I've just checked the cupboards and made a shopping list.

The house is still relatively tidy from my massive clean up during the week so I don't need to worry about it this weekend.

I've received the £30 payment from global test market. I currently have £55.00 in my paypal account (all from survey sites). I'm just awaiting £5.00 from Swagbucks and then I will be able to make a £60.00 overpayment on my loan. I've just worked out that over the course of 2013 I have received payment of just over £300 from Survey sites, this includes cash and vouchers. This is amazing considering I took a break from Swagbucks for about 6 months.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 7th Dec 13, 9:21 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I've not posted on here for a couple of weeks, things went a bit off track at home there's been ups and downs over the last few weeks (actually we had the downs and then ups!!).

In my last post I said I would overpay my loan but I hadn't really thought this through. Christmas is fast approaching, we haven't bought any presents and OH didn't get paid last month (he was only going to get a weeks wage but it makes all the difference).

So I had a moment of panicking before sitting down with OH and working out how we were going to manage. We cancelled the council tax and npower direct debits. Council Tax is spread over 10 months so we can catch up with that easily. We are in credit with npower so not too worried about that. We also increased the overdraft on the joint account which is also not ideal but once we get back on track we will be able to pay this back. We were both going to take a holiday from repaying our loans but we left this too late so we will do this for January payments as we are still going to struggle next month.

Last week for the first time ever I set myself a budget for the household shopping, took out the exact cash and came out under budget and with money and food left over at the end of the week.

And then yesterday we got some fantastic news, OH has been offered a much better paying job than the one he has just started. He applied for this some time ago and the process was quite long, he didn't think he'd get it so he's over the moon about it. He feels really bad as he's obviously only just started this other job but it's amazing to think things are finally working out for us. I'm trying not to get too excited, OH hasn't told his family yet as he can't quite believe it himself.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 30th Dec 13, 9:18 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I've been absent from this post for too long, I need to stop procrastinating and update my diary, I feel like if I don't post on here I'm not being honest.

December has been a difficult month money wise. Fortunately there were no repercussions from cancelling the direct debits, instead of having February and March free from council tax payment we have had December and January off which has made life a bit easier. Also when I called to reinstate the direct debit for npower they set it £20 lower than what we were paying before.

I've had to take a payment holiday on my loan for January or we would really struggle next month but I'm hoping by February we will be back to normal as we will both be settled in our new jobs.

I've been off work since christmas eve and I start my new job on Thursday, I'm feeling very apprehensive and not sleeping half as well as I thought I would. I really think 2014 will be a good year for me and OH but there's still this negative thought at the back of my head that's saying it's too good to be true and I'm on edge waiting for something to go wrong. It just seems to be in my nature to be negative about everything.

Tomorrow I hope to come up with a list of new years resolutions which will help me focus on the positives!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 12th Jan 14, 10:26 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Happy New year!

I am having a great start to 2014, I am really enjoying my new job. The office environment is completely different to any other job I've had. I've been finishing at 4pm some days as I've been going in earlier, that's 2 hours earlier than what I've been used to. There is the opportunity to earn overtime which I am taking full advantage of. It's also such a great feeling not being stressed out all the time!

I've been very productive at home as well, after living in this house for 3 years I am finally making use of the third bedroom (besides being a dumping ground) and have turned it into a dressing room for me, last weekend I sorted out all my clothes and toiletries/make up so that I am now making the most of everything I own rather than constantly using/wearing the same things all the time.

Money is still going to be tight this month, OH also started a new job this week but he won't get paid until 7th February and he will paid four weekly which is causing me headaches at the moment trying to work out the best way to manage direct debits etc as my wages this month will not cover the bills let alone money for food. We'll be fine once OH is paid but I don't know how accommodating companies will be with us delaying payment.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 14th Feb 14, 9:30 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    I need to get back on track. I've not built up any more debt but I've had to take payment holidays on both my Loan and CC since the beginning of the year and I can't remember the last time I made an overpayment.

We had to borrow money from a family member before OH got paid this month but we paid it back straightaway and we're now organised for next month so we shouldn't need to borrow money again. We're also better off with the car insurance which is £10 a month less due to both of us changing jobs.

I've started doing overtime at work, the best thing is I can do it at home in my own time, we have a laptop to do our work and we can take it home to work on.

I've been off work since yesterday with a cold (fortunately paid leave, tried to go into work yesterday but more or less got sent home as soon as I got in!). I couldn't take any more daytime TV today so I thought I would get organised with the finances before I start burying my head in the sand again.

Using the Balance Transfer Eligibility Checker in the MSE weekly newsletter I successfully applied for a 0% balance transfer. I'm so excited by this, I never thought I would be accepted. I should be able to start making overpayments on my loan.

I'm starting to feel more positive about things again, I will beat this debt!!!
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 1st Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Wow, a lot has happened since my last post. It's time to get stuck back into my diary.

So the main update since my last post is that I've had a baby (unplanned but best thing that ever happened). We've also moved, again unplanned as landlord decided to sell the house just after we found out I was pregnant so that was a bit stressful. We coped really well financially while I was on maternity leave but a combination of ridiculous childcare costs and OH struggling with jobs mean that I'm struggling to find the money to pay the bills every month never mind food, petrol etc.

For reasons I'm not going into just now I'm practically living as a single mum. OH is living away and visits a couple of times a month but we're still together. This was only supposed to be a temporary arrangement (began in June) but I'm finding it really hard now. I have no family close by (closest is a 2 hour car journey) and I work full time so I have little time to do housework and spend time with DD. My family have been really supportive despite being so far away.

Fortunately I really enjoy my job right now (still at the same place but got a promotion after returning from maternity leave). When I'm at work I pretty much switch off from home life and vice versa.

I need to update my signature, I'm certainty not going to be debt free by 30 but I am nearly 1/2 way there which I'm quite pleased with considering I took 9 months off work and the general cost of looking after a small person.

I've already taken lots of steps to save/make money and will post a list tomorrow as I hope it will help to give me something to focus on.

Well this has been quite therapeutic, feel a lot better now.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 6th Oct 16, 8:47 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    So I didn't get round to posting on Sunday as OH came down to stay for a few days which has been really nice. He's off again tonight so I can get back into my money saving ways. He has a completely different attitude to money which is the main cause of any arguments we have.

Managed a NSD yesterday, but as OH wasn't keen on my meal planning I had to pick up a few items on my way home Monday and Tuesday. I believe the heating is now off (first thing OH did when he got here on Sunday was to turn the heating on!). I should now have enough food to last a while so hoping for another 2 more NSD between now and the end of the weekend.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 8th Oct 16, 11:53 AM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    In my head I always plan what I'm going to write in my diary but it's just so difficult to find the time to do it. DD is having a nap just now and I'm neglecting housework to have 5 mins to myself.

Had another NSD yesterday, was expecting to spend money on stamps this morning for a couple of cards but managed to find some in a draw so fingers crossed I should make it through the rest of the day without needing to pop to the shops.

Decided to put the heating on this morning just for a couple of hours, I've tried convincing myself it's for the sake of my daughter but actually I was feeling really cold so it needed to be done. Hopefully we can make it through the rest of the weekend without putting it back on.

Took DD to rhyme time this morning so that got us out of the house, it's a 15min walk if she goes in the pushchair, last week it took nearly an hour to get there as she was pushing her little dolls pushchair and was in no rush. I refuse to drive the short journey just out of principle plus I set myself a limit of using the car a maximum of one day at the weekend.

Probably won't even leave the house for the rest of the day now, this will help prevent me spending money unnecessarily.

Tomorrow I need to go clothes shopping for DD, she is growing at an alarming rate. MIL has been very generous and transferred some money so we can buy her clothes. I was going to do this Monday or Tuesday as I was going to take holiday as my childminder is very ill at the moment but my Dad has very kindly offered to look after DD so I don't use up my holiday. So I need to brave the shops on a Sunday which will be fun. Parking is free and I only plan on visiting Primark so if I make a list of what she needs I hope to be in and out as quickly as possible.

I need to sort out a meal plan for the next week this evening, with my dad coming to stay I need to be really organised.

Just waiting on OH transferring money so I can pay nursery fees, we were really late last month and I really don't want to be in the same position this month.

Need to get stuck into online surveys etc again, a few years ago I did quite well with them but I gradually lost interest. I'm really struggling to get back into SB but I think that may be because I'm limited to either my phone or kindle fire.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 8th Oct 16, 8:57 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Here's my motivational list of things I have done/will do to save/make money

- meal plan and stick to it (within reason); I have tried to do this many times with OH but he just won't contribute or stick to it. I don't plan for particular meals for everyday of the week but I make sure I have planned more meals than there are days in the week in case I change my mind or decide to have a lazy day. During the week LO has a main meal at nursery or childminder if she goes so when we get home I just give her toast or crumpets and fruit if she's hungry. I don't usually start preparing my dinner until she's in bed so this is later than I would like but is the only option right now.
    - be more organised; this is quite a general statement, as a whole I'm not very organised and in the past this has caused me to nearly miss payment dates or even over pay because I panicked thinking I missed a payment when I hadn't!
    - write shopping lists based on meal plan and items we definitely need; I have got much better with this recently I only allow myself one or two extra items otherwise I have to chose items to put back
    - remember shopping list; sounds silly but I've forgotten many times, I've tried using my phone but battery life is very poor now
    - do online surveys etc; as mentioned earlier today I am struggling with SB but I will keep at it, even if it equates to only a few pennies a day. On a more positive note I was able to cash out £40 on onepoll for the first time last week (I think I've been a member for about 4 years!)
    - keep heating off as long as possible; there's no one in the house during the day for most of the week so shouldn't be too difficult at the moment
    - always take packed lunch to work; I've been doing this for a long time now and I can't remember the last time I was tempted to be lazy and get something at work but it helps to have this listed so I don't fall off the wagon
    - utilise working from home days; I get one WFH day a week, it's not actually that cost effective for me as nursery and childminder are much closer to work than home but I can use my lunch break to prepare dinner which helps me to be more organised
    - unsubscribe from emails such as Next, Amazon etc; basically remove temptation
    - use up toiletries before buying more; I have a ridiculous amount of moisturisers from gift sets that have not been opened
    - have a clear out; decluttering has made me realise how much money I have wasted on things that either don't last or don't get used
    - sell unused items; I've done 2 carboots in the last month and made about £40, would have liked to have done more but I need someone to watch DD. I don't have the time or patience for eBay just now and I don't think I have anything of any value to sell
    -spend cash rather than card; I can't remember the last time I used my debit card, probably about a month ago which is a long time
    - stop spending on CC; only petrol and food goes on this now, each month my outgoings are more than what I have coming in until OH gives me money so I currently have no choice about this. Hopefully our situation will change soon and he will have a steady income which we can rely on
    - switch off any appliances which aren't being used; I don't know how much difference this really makes but it makes me feel better now although I should have warned OH!
    - don't try and multitask by having the TV on while on my phone, this is a waste of electricity
    - spend evenings doing housework not watching tv; this helps me to be organised as well as saving electricity. I don't really get any chance to do housework when LO is about, as I work full time I'm not going to begrudge her this
    - make/bake as many meals as possible from scratch. I always try and cook more than I need so there is leftovers for lunch as I'm not a fan of sandwiches.
    - only use the car a maximum of one day at the weekend. If I do this I think I can make a full tank of petrol last nearly a month

I will update this list as I think of more things but I don't think it's a bad start
    Last edited by Frugal Saver; 08-10-2016 at 9:03 PM. Reason: Predictive text
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 9th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Only just realised my post last week was nearly 4 years to the day since I began this diary. I'm sure if I had kept at it a bit more I would be in a better position right now but never mind.

Yesterday was a very successful NSD, quite pleased with myself as we had time to kill while waiting for the library to open. I did think about popping into a charity shop to see if they had an bargains but then my sensible head kicked in and I told myself I didn't want to ruin a NSD just because we had time to kill.

Today was busy, for some frustrating reason I was awake before DD (5.10) which doesn't happen very often. Even more annoyed that it happened on the weekend. So by the time she was awake I was wide awake myself. Decided to make the most of it and stuck a chilli con carne in the slow cooker st 7am. Went to town before the shops I opened. Took cash out for anything besides clothes for LO. I'm really hopeful £20 will last the week for food. I stuck very well to my shopping list. The only mistake I made was thinking I would be able to stop at aldi on the way home DD was getting fed up by the time we finished in town so I didn't think it was worth risking s trip to the SM. Spent the afternoon playing with DD before my Dad arrived and I cooked dinner (chilli will be saved for later in the week when I CBA ). Realised we needed milk so took advantage of dad bring about and popped to Tesco express, I didn't stick to my shopping list but i did pick up some brilliant YS reductions at 10-20p each I can only freeze the 18p cod loin but the 20p pasta will do fir lunch tomorrow and I can freeze what I was going to have for later in the week.

OH transferred money so I have paid the nursery fees. The only thing left now is car insurance which I think will go tomorrow and I need to make payment on Next account (balance is £20). Feeling more organised and motivated this month, just need to keep it up. Not sure if tomorrow will be a NSD, hadn't realised we are out of black sacks do could do with getting some but will try and make do for now.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 10th Oct 16, 9:45 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Another NSD done. Heating went on this morning for a few hours this morning. Made dinner last night so I didn't have to worry about that.

I'm working from home tomorrow which will save petrol and give me a chance to get some washing hung out in the morning if the weather is good. First time I've worked at home with DD about for a while, I've set up a desk in my bedroom so I can shut myself away. Lunch will be something thrown together from the cupboard.

Doing well with budgeting this week so might treat us to a fish and chip takeaway tomorrow to say thanks to my dad for looking after DD. Should be able to make it through the rest of the week without spending after that.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 12th Oct 16, 9:59 PM
    • 210 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Very pleased with myself today, not only did I manage a NSD after yesterday's expensive spend of 15p I have also been very organised tonight with meal planning.

I had thought about stopping off at the shops on the way home as there are a couple of bits I need. However, I hadn't made a shopping list so I knew I would end buying more than what I needed and still forget things. I've just spent some time meal planning for the next few days so I only buy exactly what I need.

There were a couple of ripe bananas on the way out so I quickly put together a banana cake in between sorting my dinner out tonight. But in my rush to multitask and be ready to watch GBB I cooked way too much pasta to go with my LO meatballs. The old me would have thought nothing of throwing the extra pasta away. Not today! I recently found a really simple tomato and garlic pasta sauce which is very inexpensive and quick to make so after watching GBB I got back in the kitchen and made the sauce while doing the washing up.

I've also frozen the extra bread my dad picked up on Monday and in the morning I'm going to freeze some of the banana cake otherwise I will end up eating it all very quickly.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,319Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter