Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    • 232Posts
    • 588Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver"
    • 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver" 2nd Oct 12 at 10:19 PM
    I'd like to start my diary by making a declaration - I am currently neither Frugal nor a Saver .

I'm starting a diary in the hope that it will help motivate me to become frugal and once debts are paid off I would like to become a saver.

I have been watching over this forum for a number of years and felt inspired by so many stories but it is only recently I have felt the urge to get a grip on my debt. I think it might be an age thing, I'm getting to a point in life where I'd like to be married and have kids. The main thing holding me back on either of these is money (I have a loving boyfriend of 7 years, the main disagreements we ever have are about money).

My debt is not a lot compared to a lot of people on this forum but to me it is a mountain (currently approx £10,030). I could go on for ages about how I ended up in this situation but that's not going to help me get out of the debt.

I'm not worried if anyone reads my diary, there is a selfish element in that I hope it will help me change my spending/borrowing habits. But also I hope it will help inspire others in the same way I have been inspired reading other peoples diaries.

I would also like to apologise in advance if I go off in a tangent, I am well known for starting a conversation about one topic and ending on something completely unrelated.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my posts.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current debt £5,800 at 0%
    Current savings £3,800
Page 10
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 27th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Wahoo, payday! Have a rough budget for the month, it's the first time I've ever done this and I don't have any major bills so I don't know how it's going to work out but this is my plan:

Wages: £1,500.00
    Bus Fare: £50.00
    Credit Card: £100.00
    Car Tax: £12.68
    Car Insurance: £44.29
    EE: £22.55
    B/A Fee: £10.00
    Total: £239.52
    Savings: £500.00
    Money for Presents etc: £200.00
    Weekly Spending Money: £115.12
    Buffer: £100.00

Already spent £12.00 this evening on small supermarket shop, lunch sorted for tomorrow and snacks for the next few days.

Tomorrow my only spend should be my bus pass and some rolls for lunch the following day. If I'm lucky I should be able to get them reduced.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 28th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Already spent £20 of my buffer. My sister is doing a charity event so I've sponsored her.

Hadn't factored into my budget some money towards the household bills and the storage unit where all our stuff is being held. OH is dealing with both of these and hasn't mentioned anything so will leave it for now and if I need to contribute I will take it out of savings.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 5th Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Just started my second week sticking to a strict budget. Can't believe what a difference it makes noting every single spend, certainly makes me think twice before parting with my money! First week I came in at nearly £50 under budget. I know I have set a high weekly budget but I think other weeks I may go over budget unless I set a separate budget for 'entertainment' spends.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 7th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    So excited, going to have a look around a flat on Thursday. Hopefully it won't be long before we have our own place again. The flat is practically on the same street as my work and LO nursery so I would be spending no money on transport to work during the week.

I already have a (long) list of things we need when we move as we chucked out a lot before the move but I need to think about prioritising the list as I don't want to be spending all my savings. We can also ask for things for Christmas.

I'm keeping spending to a minimum still, not had a NSD since I started the budget but I've had lots of LSDs.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 17th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 232 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Over 1/2 way through the month now, only 2 NSDs but lots of LSD. Keeping a list of all my spending is really helping to stay on track and well within budget.

Saw the flat last week and it's perfect for us at the moment. Just waiting for an email any day from the housing association once the builders have handed over the keys.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 17th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Hi you are doing great with keeping track of your spending...lots to be inspired by!
    Good luck with the new flat
    • TooMuchOn
    • By TooMuchOn 17th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TooMuchOn
    Just sat and read your whole diary from beginning to end and you've inspired me to stop sticking my head in the sand.
    You've done brilliantly and most importantly you've kept at it which is where I need to get to.
    Will keep reading your updates!

My current debt level = can't even say it out loud.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

936Posts Today

7,014Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Friday Twitter poll: Fruit wars. If, for some bizarre reason, u had to give up 3 of these for life (in every form), what'd you keep?

• I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Follow Martin