Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    • 239Posts
    • 597Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver"
    • 2nd Oct 12, 10:19 PM
    Diary of a "Frugal Saver" 2nd Oct 12 at 10:19 PM
    I'd like to start my diary by making a declaration - I am currently neither Frugal nor a Saver .

I'm starting a diary in the hope that it will help motivate me to become frugal and once debts are paid off I would like to become a saver.

I have been watching over this forum for a number of years and felt inspired by so many stories but it is only recently I have felt the urge to get a grip on my debt. I think it might be an age thing, I'm getting to a point in life where I'd like to be married and have kids. The main thing holding me back on either of these is money (I have a loving boyfriend of 7 years, the main disagreements we ever have are about money).

My debt is not a lot compared to a lot of people on this forum but to me it is a mountain (currently approx £10,030). I could go on for ages about how I ended up in this situation but that's not going to help me get out of the debt.

I'm not worried if anyone reads my diary, there is a selfish element in that I hope it will help me change my spending/borrowing habits. But also I hope it will help inspire others in the same way I have been inspired reading other peoples diaries.

I would also like to apologise in advance if I go off in a tangent, I am well known for starting a conversation about one topic and ending on something completely unrelated.

Finally, I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to read my posts.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current debt £5,800 at 0%
    Current savings £3,800
Page 10
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 27th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Wahoo, payday! Have a rough budget for the month, it's the first time I've ever done this and I don't have any major bills so I don't know how it's going to work out but this is my plan:

Wages: £1,500.00
    Bus Fare: £50.00
    Credit Card: £100.00
    Car Tax: £12.68
    Car Insurance: £44.29
    EE: £22.55
    B/A Fee: £10.00
    Total: £239.52
    Savings: £500.00
    Money for Presents etc: £200.00
    Weekly Spending Money: £115.12
    Buffer: £100.00

Already spent £12.00 this evening on small supermarket shop, lunch sorted for tomorrow and snacks for the next few days.

Tomorrow my only spend should be my bus pass and some rolls for lunch the following day. If I'm lucky I should be able to get them reduced.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 28th Sep 17, 6:45 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Already spent £20 of my buffer. My sister is doing a charity event so I've sponsored her.

Hadn't factored into my budget some money towards the household bills and the storage unit where all our stuff is being held. OH is dealing with both of these and hasn't mentioned anything so will leave it for now and if I need to contribute I will take it out of savings.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 5th Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Just started my second week sticking to a strict budget. Can't believe what a difference it makes noting every single spend, certainly makes me think twice before parting with my money! First week I came in at nearly £50 under budget. I know I have set a high weekly budget but I think other weeks I may go over budget unless I set a separate budget for 'entertainment' spends.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 7th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    So excited, going to have a look around a flat on Thursday. Hopefully it won't be long before we have our own place again. The flat is practically on the same street as my work and LO nursery so I would be spending no money on transport to work during the week.

I already have a (long) list of things we need when we move as we chucked out a lot before the move but I need to think about prioritising the list as I don't want to be spending all my savings. We can also ask for things for Christmas.

I'm keeping spending to a minimum still, not had a NSD since I started the budget but I've had lots of LSDs.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 17th Oct 17, 6:28 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Over 1/2 way through the month now, only 2 NSDs but lots of LSD. Keeping a list of all my spending is really helping to stay on track and well within budget.

Saw the flat last week and it's perfect for us at the moment. Just waiting for an email any day from the housing association once the builders have handed over the keys.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 17th Oct 17, 8:02 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 461 Thanks
    Happierdays
    Hi you are doing great with keeping track of your spending...lots to be inspired by!
    Good luck with the new flat
    • TooMuchOn
    • By TooMuchOn 17th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    TooMuchOn
    Just sat and read your whole diary from beginning to end and you've inspired me to stop sticking my head in the sand.
    You've done brilliantly and most importantly you've kept at it which is where I need to get to.
    Will keep reading your updates!

My current debt level = can't even say it out loud.
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 21st Oct 17, 7:52 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Thanks TooMuchOn and HappierDays. It's taken me a long time to get to a point where I'm not worrying about whether I have enough money to survive until payday. I too used to bury my head in the sand and while it's taking a while to clear the debts I feel I'm able to manage money a lot better now which I find more of an achievement than actuallly shifting the debts.

Still no news on the flat, went and had a look on my lunch break during the week, looks like they're fitting carpets and finishing off work on the outside of the flats. The last update I had said they should be finished anytime from 2nd to lady week in October and mid November so not long now hopefully.

Budgeting going well. Not made any plans for the weekend yet but hoping to keep spending to a minimum. I've got a pumpkin to carve at some point which will keep LO entertained, need to look up recipes to use up the flesh, perhaps soup for lunch next week.

I'm completely addicted to swagbucks at the moment. I got back into it last month and I've already got £50 amazon vouchers. Getting a bit frustrated though as I have a watch list on camel camel camel for some items I want to get if they go down in price but recently everything that I get an alert for is amazon prime so I can't order it and I refuse to sign up even for the free trial.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 27th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Yay. It's payday and I still had money in my account before I got paid! Managed to save about £700 last month. Need to spend sometime this weekend moving some money about. Already have a budget set but that could change if we move.

Yesterday I went to Ikea to spend a £5 voucher and get some ideas for when we move. I wasn't able to get a free coffee and cake as I was too late but I did well to spend less than £5.00 on top of the £5.00 I had to spend. The old me would have got carried away and spent a lot more (even though we don't have anywhere to put it just now).

No closer to moving. Hopefully the flats by work will be finished soon, doesn't look like there's much left for them to do when I walked past yesterday. Feeling a bit deflated this week as we were told at work that we will be moving offices next year so my plan to be close to work has completely backfired before we even move in. Still in the early stages at the moment so going to stick with moving to the flat and see what happens with work.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 28th Oct 17, 8:00 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Up early with LO this morning so sorting out finances while she's keeping herself entertained.

Paid my CCs for the month which brings my total debt down to £5,600. Then I did some calculations to see how much I have in savings spread across different accounts. I need to double check my calculations but they currently add up to the same as my debt. Can't believe for the first time in my adult life I am actually breaking even!!!!!

It won't last long as we will need to spend a chunk of it when we move but at least I will spending my money instead of adding to the debt.

CC is at 0%, I'm making some overpayments at the moment just to reduce the debt but once we have household bills to pay I will probably reduce these to minimum payments (rounded to the nearest £50 to keep the OCD part of me happy!). If I can keep up with my current payments I will have the debt at £5,200 by the end of the year, very pleased with that considering it was at £6,600 in March this year.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
    • Frugal Saver
    • By Frugal Saver 19th Nov 17, 8:50 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Frugal Saver
    Yay, get the keys to our new place a week on Monday, so excited, it's like Christmas has come early!

Need to get some things for the house but these spends should come from savings. I have £100 in Amazon vouchers from Swagbucks earned in about 3 months which should pay for the kettle, toaster and microwave. Biggest expense will be a new bed for LO as she has outgrown her toddler bed. I have plans to get her a stacking bed so we have an extra bed when guests come to stay as my family live so far away. I just need to measure the room to make sure it will fit.

As well as keeping a note of all my spends I've now created an excel spreadsheet to monitor my spending. I feel like a right geek but I know it should work for me as it will keep me motivated. First months rent will come out of savings as well so I have some funds after payday to stock up on store cupboard essentials.

I've also started drafting a budget for monthly bills. Not sure what broadband package to go with, will only be getting this with no TV package. I will stream TV for free from iplayer etc so I want to make sure it's fast enough.

Christmas presents are in hand, I've nearly finished for LO, just need to get her stocking presents. Don't have the space to store anything more until we move now.
    LBM September 2012
    Debt at LBM £10,573.00
    Savings at LBM £0
    Current savings £3,800
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

87Posts Today

3,068Users online

Martin's Twitter