Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 29th Sep 12, 10:52 PM
    • 3,212Posts
    • 20,088Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / 16600!!!
    • 29th Sep 12, 10:52 PM
    Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / 16600!!! 29th Sep 12 at 10:52 PM
    So, dear fellow DFW's I want to join the ranks!..and apologise about how long this is!!

I have researched, read and re-read so many incredibly encouraging threads, got myself excited over challenging myself and thought it was now time to make this REAL and make it public!!

I WANT TO BUY MY OWN HOUSE!!! I cannot do this when a considerable amount of my earnings will go to debts... so this is the plan...

From the 1st October I have precisely 457 days until the end of 2013. I personally refuse to enter 2014 ( by all means possible ) with any debt. This means working harder and longer, reducing out-goings to meagre proportions and selling everything I can afford to.

So this is the break down - rounded up to the nearest 100 for absolute ease as I checked these amounts a month ago and have since paid towards them!! ....

350 - Overdraft. This is being paid back in another 3 payments of 80 and will be gone by 01st January! REPAID!!! Reached 1000 since first posting but the ENTIRE amount was still paid on time!!!

350 - Ex-Boyfriend. For motorbike gear. 2 more payments of 175. Refuse to start the New Year owing him anything ( despite him being very lovely and very understanding and not demanding at all ).. REPAID!!!

1000 - Credit Card.Will be maxed shortly due to motorbike insurance.. will be selling stuff to cover this but for now the credit card has to take the brunt. (600 available at the moment ). Will be cleared by 31st December if it kills me and I live on beans! REPAID!!!

2500 - Student Loan. Money paid @ 150 per month minimum and will be complete by at least October 2013 due to the amount of overtime at work I intend to get my dirty mitts on...
    REPAID!!!

3200 - Nationwide Loan. This was for the Motorbike ( needed for commuting to work ). I am paying 133 per month, never missed a payment but have set up a standing order that I can transfer however much more I can afford each month in order to reduce the amount. I want this gone by 30th June. This means an extra 317 a month. Once the first three are repaid the surplus funds will be channelled into this loan! REPAID!!!

9300. Northern Bank. This is for a piece of land bought back home!....297 monthly. I pay half / my parents pay the other half. But the loan is in my name. I want to take responsibility for the whole thing. REPAID!!!

The Nationwide and Northern loans reduced in interest the more I pay off. Not sure if this is the same with all but it helps knowing that I can get rid of it all that much faster....

So there you go 16600. Works out at 37 a day. Which will make me think before I buy that bottle of water or choccie bar I really don't need ( although vintage clothing store are more of a temptation )..

So... no clothes shopping for 15 months, I will beg, borrow and swap if I want something new. I have asked for vouchers for Christmas..I buy food from Approved Food, reduced vegetables in Tescos, earn points in every store possible, and am selling all my books, and unwanted items... I am making hampers for close friends only and one hamper to send home to Ireland for 4 people ( max 40 ) for Christmas.. I get deals on line where I can, promotions, vouchers, coupons ...everything!!

Petrol hits 200.. I make 1700, my outgoings are around 1300 ( including food ) when I pay each loan its minimum repayment... this is manageable. But to get rid as fast as I want I need to be earning another 700 a month. This is where the overtime at work comes in.. I need to work three extra Sundays a month...

I have no family over here to move in with, no one to fall back on but me.. I am renting a room where all bills are included and share my life with a tabby called Dorothy. I don't drink, smoke or right now go out.....It will be worth it in the end I believe that for sure. This money saving / money making malarky is thrilling..

So there you go folks... Onwards and upwards...

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 29-11-2013 at 5:01 PM.
Page 49
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 7th Dec 12, 9:15 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,088 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    I'm still watching you...

On the road of life..
    • liltdiddylilt
    • By liltdiddylilt 7th Dec 12, 9:34 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    liltdiddylilt
    Peekaboo all! Kat I really hope you have an excellent time. Gutted about the flask though!

I think I am becoming a bit of a miser.... I put most of my overtime money into the bank today then transferred it to the savings account to just sit there so it doesn't cloud my judgement on my current account. I went out peeking around and found a gorgeous jumper, quite girly, for me & it was 22.99 in New Look... didn't buy though. As OH has said, I need to relax a bit... I threw out 3/4 of my clothes for being ancient and too big for me and have made money on eBay/overtime... but still I cannot bring myself to SPEND! The guilt is too much. I'm sure you would be proud Kat.

Things to report.

-Trip round ASDA with zero spends
    -Coffee dodged by drinking at home
    -Another 2 sales on eBay, however, a cancellation immediately after, as yet again someone bid with less than a minute to go and didn't read the big letters PS3... Still, 7.50 for something worth a max of 4
    -K&Co catalogue confirmed they have closed my account
    -MBNA took my minimum payment on my card even though it is at zero balance - sooooooooo 25 out of the bank that wasn't necessary. It's coming back on the 19th Dec.
    - Xmas presents left to buy = 2 bottles of wine & 2 vouchers - got a coupon for WH Smiths (when I bought a jiffy bag for eBay sale the other day) ...for 5 off a 20 spend and it INCLUDES vouchers. SO I get 20 vouchers for the kids, for 15 woohoo!! (They do vouchers for all sorts of companies in there too! )

Parents coming for 2 nights next week & bringing all littlies presents with them for Xmas from my family. Can't wait!!! They have also done some bulk buying for me at their local JTF warehouse, so toilet rolls, cleaning products & laundry stuff catered for for the next few months

I think my new debt free date is going to be March 23rd 2013. My best friend gets married on this day, and dressed in my bridesmaids garb I will no doubt bump into my ex, good friend of the groom. I would sorely like to look down my nose at him (slightly ruined by the stupid dress I have to wear) knowing that I am completely debt free without any of the stinking money he owes me & that me & my family are lightyears on from where he is. The satisfaction of that is worth the scrimping for the next 4 months!

Hope you are all well. Sorry to anyone reading my posts on DDD as some bits (ASDA!) cross over

Tata for now!! xx
    NST June: SFD: 11/20 Groc/Toil/House: 0/250
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
    • liltdiddylilt
    • By liltdiddylilt 7th Dec 12, 9:36 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    liltdiddylilt
    While the kat's away......

Who's coming out to play???
    Originally posted by Siouxsie32
    LMAO!! Not me, I am 'being ahave' as I used to say when I was much smaller
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • Siouxsie32
    I'm still watching you...
    Originally posted by NinjaSavingKat
    Bah, eyes in the back of your head...just like my parents! Now go and have some fun
    450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
    9107.25 0 (60 days early)
    New Challenge for 2014:
    20,136.47 15989.65 (More than twice as much in less time )
  • missladyannie
    Hi everyone! Wow lots of reading for me to catch up with this thread!

It sounds like everyone is getting on great, Kat sorry to hear about your bike :-(

Ive got a busy day today, lots of housework to catch up on, this place is a tip!! Its so cluttered!! I've been up since 4am, damn kitten!! Im also working tonight 7.30pm-midnight, yawn, so it will be a long day :-(

DS is sitting quietly playing his Nintendo (a treat as its the weekend!) but once DH is up I can make a start on the cleaning and wrapping up the football boots for Ebay, I might even try and get some more listings on today as well. I got a lovely text back from my SIL after I sent her her first payment, she was so grateful, it makes it all worthwhile! xx
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: 106. 2012: 171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails )
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: 2355.53
  • Happytogetdebtfree
    Well done on the eBay sales. A bit of cash before Xmas is always a welcomed surprise xx Kat have a lovely walking weekend and enjoy the scenery xx I will have to catch up with other posts when I'm at laptop access it takes ages to write and scroll etc :-) x
    I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAKMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 0877240.69 Current outstanding total 37995.12 Paid so far = 39245.57
  • killerpeaty
    ... I spent over 60 on friday.

My sister buys trashy magazines, I read them when they're in front of me but I can't say I miss them.
    Aims for 2015: Complete up to AAT level 4, save 7k and just be better!
    • liltdiddylilt
    • By liltdiddylilt 9th Dec 12, 11:41 AM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    liltdiddylilt
    You can't tell us that and not what on!!! What did you get?!?! Should we be mad? :P

How is work going Peatypants?
  • Listerbelle
    Good luck on your exam lister! Remember, 1sb is only about 0.5p so don't stress out about them tooooooooo much. I see you're doing really well! Would you mind PMing me a list of your survey sites with your favourites highlighted? I want to check out any sites I haven't met yet.

Just got to payout on myview, any opinions on what reward I should claim? (I can copy paste the rewards- a list of 40 different vouchers!- if anyone can't see them).

5.25/3.50
    Originally posted by killerpeaty
    Well done on the myview payout - which reward did you decide on?

The only surveys I do are those on Swagbucks and Ipsos occasionally. I was doing ValuedOpinions, but became disenchanted with them...

I also did Survey Savvy for a while, but they reset their site and lost all my details and it was a nightmare.

My exam is in March. It's a professional exam. I need to pass it before I proceed from the 2nd year in training to the 3rd year in training.
    Aug extra earnings $25/$100 & /20

• killerpeaty
    Lilt, you should probably be angry. I spent it on food, taxis and a lot of regret juice.

Lister, which field is your qualification? It sounds like accounting to my untrained ears : )

Just got invited to a 20 three day thingy... : D
  • Listerbelle
    It's a medical qualification.

• killerpeaty
    Neat, I didn't realise... Starting to think I should read more carefully. How is it going?

Medical studies scare me. They seem difficult.
    • liltdiddylilt
    • By liltdiddylilt 9th Dec 12, 3:27 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    liltdiddylilt
    Killer - On the contrary... You earned a night out on the tiles. There is a lot on your shoulders for one so young! You have no debts, a good job... Enjoy it within reason!!

Hope you weren't too hung over yesterday HAHAHA!

Lister fingers crossed for your exam. Medical you brave lady!!!
  • Siouxsie32
    ... and a lot of regret juice.
    Originally posted by killerpeaty
    450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
    9107.25 0 (60 days early)
    New Challenge for 2014:
    20,136.47 15989.65 (More than twice as much in less time )
  • killerpeaty
    The regret in my regret juice was very strong...Definitely want to do it again.
  • Happytogetdebtfree
    Hi all ooh lister which medical profession 'nurse' or 'doctor'? good luck with the exam . Killer hope you enjoyed your night . I am just watching elf abit of xmas cheer x
    I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAKMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 0877240.69 Current outstanding total 37995.12 Paid so far = 39245.57
  • Listerbelle
    Doctor

Have many of you listed on ebay this weekend? It's another free one

• NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 9th Dec 12, 7:40 PM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,088 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    I'M BACK!!!!

Shall read through posts and write a little more very very soon!!!

Hope you have all been debt busting bunnies!!!!

On the road of life..
    • liltdiddylilt
    • By liltdiddylilt 9th Dec 12, 10:07 PM
    • 4,017 Posts
    • 28,022 Thanks
    liltdiddylilt
    Yay! Welcome back Kat. Hope your cat is ok & happy to see you!

No broken legs or anything?
    • NinjaSavingKat
    • By NinjaSavingKat 10th Dec 12, 11:05 AM
    • 3,212 Posts
    • 20,088 Thanks
    NinjaSavingKat
    Morning Kittens..

So I popped my head over the parapet last night and fell asleep not long after..

Superb weekend with a group of like minded women, walked about 25km in total. More of a bimble than a "hike" but the town we stayed in Moreton-in-Marsh was chocolate box perfect. Made me think just how much I would love my own home in order to buy all the pretty things from the stores they have there... However there was a distinct sniff that the perfection obtained by said village was only through Stepford Wifes proportions. Grass was too neat, hedges to perfect, walls to clean and the sheep to fluffy...

It felt like it was made for tourists and all the facades comes down around 2nd January.. or Mr McGregor the kindly local farmer, always on-hand with insightful information, who turns up out of no-where even when you don't need him has a slight grimace and nervous tick when a "town folk" wander too far off the correct path or ask a difficult questions...

However I found a dark blue vintage pillbox hat in a charity shop and bought it. Despite being in place of food I didn't starve. It cost me 12.95 - with 30 being budgeted already for the weekend and 17.85 spent on meals - my total was destroyed by the stray 80p..(30.80 ) yet I managed to get the money from an eBay sell through - finally - to the grand total of 3.95. So I am within budget...( although was a little naughty )..

I have a very precise 117.30 left and have everything itemized on a spreadsheet. I have called my mechanics and will be getting a quote sent through very shortly for repairs on Friday - this has to be done. I have overtime at the weekend and cannot travel without an indicator or brake lever and since it starts and end at stupid o'clock I need the bike. It balances out with the money earned - and I may have enough funds to scrape together from my petrol fund!..

I have precisely 113 in my petrol account. I need to renew my weekly travel card for 69 on Wednesday - which is wasted over the weekend as I have to use the bike and is for 7 days, I only need it for 5 as I got home next Tuesday and have a ticket to the airport booked...

Individual tickets for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Monday would cost me 68. No real difference eh? So the remainder of 45 will be for the bike plus the possible 15 emergency money I have set aside from Mummy.... If I can avoid this I will. There is nothing else I can cut from my own budget this month to accommodate this and will have to consider petrol when I get back from Ireland on the 28th as I have overtime booked for the 29th and 30th and don't get paid until the morning of the 31st.

So there needs to be some serious knuckling down here... I am not sure if I can sell anything before I leave for home and have enough time to post it but I am going to have a look now...

Fingers crossed on the bike bits please....

I have the Christmas work lunch on Thursday and will try and eat as much as possible for breakfast so I don't order with my belly and I shall order only water..as a veggie I have already seen the menu and paid 5 deposit last month so that should be put towards it I hope. I have 25 budgeted for this ( if it seems like a lot remember I am in London )... but I intend to come away with at least 8 left...

I have 90 in my account which I don't want to spend until I get home.. it covers 40 for Mumsy which might reduce to 20, 25 for a meal with girlfriends I haven't seen in AGES and 25 for the staff do - with some pennies for food when I run out ( close to it )..

I do love living like this... FRUGAL ME!!!

Miser Lilt I am proud of you and must say I saw some brand new Jones the Bootmaker court shoes in my size at the charity shop and a brand new short sleeved vintage style cardy which I WALKED AWAY FROM!!!! This saved me 16.99 although would have done something special for my wardrobe as I am looking like a hobo recently... too much work and not enough snooze time leave me only safe in flat shoes...

Right I have a list to get to today...
    • Mechanic Call - Done
    • Post Christmas card to Granny - Done
    • Email friend about money saving - Done
    • Find addresses for relations in Oz -
    • Plan food for the week and the few days I am back from Ireland before being paid -
    • Get few items on eBay to end in 3 days -
    • Pilfer all funds out of PayPal -
    • Consider selling organs -

I shall be back..

Onwards and Upwards....

x x x

EDIT: - Just been told the 3 course meal we are hitting on Thursday is only 12.95?? And with 5 already paid this is now 7.95. I am a VERY happy NSK!
    Last edited by NinjaSavingKat; 10-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.

On the road of life..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,526Users online

Martin's Twitter