Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt-free Wannabe Challenges > Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / 16600!!! (Page 48)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / 16600!!!
Views: 111,042
# 941
Happytogetdebtfree
Old 05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Ah that's super for your mum and so nice that she has given you 75 :-) happy shopping :-). Yay on the nsd, I have the joys of a training day yipeee x
I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAKMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08 77240.69 Current outstanding 41073.48 = 36167.21 paid so far
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Happytogetdebtfree For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 942
killerpeaty
Old 05-12-2012, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Yay Lilt.
Boo Kat.
Hi everyone.

Me today ~>
Aims for 2014: Complete up to AAT level 3, save 7K and stop fearing learning to drive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to killerpeaty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 943
liltdiddylilt
Old 05-12-2012, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Location: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry.. Term-time only

Hugs killer!!! I hope you are now tucked up safe in warm socks with a mug of something warm.

Work alright chuck?
2014 - a year to do things differently...
FD Saver: 900.00/3,600.00 -Emergency fund: 1219.76/unlimited
Still debt-free and proud!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 944
killerpeaty
Old 05-12-2012, 7:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

No.
Grumpy.
Pouty face.
Might be due to being kicked out of a 20, 1 hour survey.
Gutted.

Work is alright, I don't like answering the phone, the people are nice, the work is easy and there is lots of tea : )

How's you? : )
Aims for 2014: Complete up to AAT level 3, save 7K and stop fearing learning to drive.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to killerpeaty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 945
liltdiddylilt
Old 05-12-2012, 9:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

^ You're cute when you pout lol

Work - answering the phone is terrifying at first. I was frightened to death, but think of it like this... people are ringing you, for something, for a service. How much easier is it to pick up the phone to someone who wants something you can hopefully help them with. Way better that that calling people up at home in the middle of their dinner, asking them if they have claimed for PPI or want to change their car insurance... Personally I eat those people for lunch...

Gutted about the survey have you guys joined bzzagent.co.uk? I signed up, did a massive bunch of surveys in about 45 mins to get them out of the way and just got signed for my first 'campaign' for some 'a2 milk' which apparently is much better for people with a milk protein intolerance (yours truly.) Pretty awesome timing really, as DDD means I will be trying to not go to the shop for milk

Doesn't sound like the most amazing thing in the world but my sis has been doing it for a while now and she just got a free 189.99 toothbrush to 'test'... which she gets to keep!

Moi, I am spandankling today. Thanks for asking. We had snow this morning, everything was cancelled and I spent the whole day in my pyjamas.

Tomorrow however, I have overtime at work starting at 8:30 with the promise of snow overnight... will be super fun times walking 2 miles to work in that in the dark...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liltdiddylilt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 946
Siouxsie32
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Evening everyone how are you all? I've been so busy (all good, working hard, earning money, no time for spends ) so nothing interesting to report.

Gosh kat, I was thinking of you this morning when I saw the news. I'm in West London and there was no snow here but I saw the pictures at Stanstead and other parts north of the city centre and pictured you all warm and snug on the train! Hmm, glad not much damage was done to the bike though (and glad you're alright too, obviously!).

Thanks for the bzzagent reminder lilt. One day I'll find time to look into it - that and swagbucks...not enough hours in the day.
450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
9107.25 0 (60 days early)
New Challenge for 2014:
20,136.47 17709.22 (More than twice as much in less time )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Siouxsie32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 947
his missus
Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Morning all!

HappyTGDF, we went to see Nativity 2. 7.85 a ticket though Glad we went on the Orange 241 Wed deal. I don't understand why anyone would go any other day with prices like that. Glad we had the 10 giftcard but there wasn't even enough left over to buy a bag of crisps or bag of chocs (2.70 each!) Luckily we didn't want any nibbles

Lilt, I'm a bzzagent too. DOn't get chosen for too many campaigns (maybe because I don't have kids) but signed up for the gravy pots trial, free gravy is free gravy Once did a toothpaste one a few years ago and had enough samples left over to last us a year.

Hope you're all taking care in the snow, if you have any. Nothing here but a light frost this morning.
CCC 2014: 62.47/250 No unnessary toiletries 7/57
Virtual Sealed Pot: #143 118.37 Save 10 a week: 50. April Power member
Debt free in 2013
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to his missus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 948
NinjaSavingKat
Old 06-12-2012, 4:44 PM

Evening Kittens..

My my my nearly home time thank goodness. I am in a superbly happy mood today and have been looking through some other blogs, websites and information "portals"... I came across this wondrous article... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20004611 and think this wee man is just superb. There are many ways to throw some money at debts.. we that are in this long term though need to sometimes take a step back and take a breather.. it can be hard, draining, depressing and just really hard..

But I believe in re-training ourselves. Trust me when I say your OH will see the benefits as so many of them already have and they might want to join in... but pleasure can be gained in the simplest of things... like this article says - just not buying the one coffee / tea each day and hey presto you have 50...

Okay easier said than done.... tell me what you have given up?? I was an awful one for magazines. There weren't just the normal magazines although I got them too - I used to love the specialty ones for 7.99 as "something special" to read and cause I am a girl and I like stationary.. this has been curbed..( bar that one Burlesque one I bought last month )...

I am interested to see though what crazy things people have stopped buying for the purposes of clearing their debt....

Go on - share..?

Onwards and Upwards...
Travel Savings Fund ; 3700 / 12000

I am too positive to be to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 949
killerpeaty
Old 06-12-2012, 5:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Missus I love going to the cinema. a friend gets on free so that's awesome.

Lillt, you have my full sympathy, I have a lot of night walkibg to do at the moment. yay for over time though!

Kat, I plan to save everythingover 1k i make each months. If i manage it will be an entirely different matter. But try bot to be too hard on yourself if you get a magazine.

Train is stopping, gotta go!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to killerpeaty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 950
NinjaSavingKat
Old 06-12-2012, 6:09 PM

Killer just missed my train stop.. Ha ha haaa! To busy tap tap tapping! I don't know any other words than 'hitting it hard'.. It's all or nothing for me so easier to completly abstain from everything! Glad your enjoying work though.. Even better that's it's super duper easy!!

His_Missur I haven't been chosen for anything either but am going to do these site more at home in Irelabd.. Seems I'm just to busy to sit still for too long... Or do I mean so tired I'd fall asleep..:-))..

Okay back on train and need to concentrate.. Laters..

I am too positive to be to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 951
Listerbelle
Old 06-12-2012, 6:40 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Safe train journey home NSK!!

Yesterday and today are NSDs for me - I'm working nights this week, and simply can't be bothered leaving my hospital accommodation...I've been hitting swagbucks hard instead of preparing for my exam - oops!
April 150/$300 & 60
2014 earnings Bubblews $150 Swagbucks $100 Dooyoo 40
Ciao: 90 Clixsense $35 Neobux$27 InstaGC $3 TopCashBack: Craigslist $186 Pinecone 6 WR/other: 590 & $48 Amazon 36
I earn
$ and as I have a transatlantic life.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Listerbelle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 952
killerpeaty
Old 06-12-2012, 8:33 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good luck on your exam lister! Remember, 1sb is only about 0.5p so don't stress out about them tooooooooo much. I see you're doing really well! Would you mind PMing me a list of your survey sites with your favourites highlighted? I want to check out any sites I haven't met yet.

Oh Kat, you wally. ha ha <3

Just got to payout on myview, any opinions on what reward I should claim? (I can copy paste the rewards- a list of 40 different vouchers!- if anyone can't see them).

5.25/3.50
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to killerpeaty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 953
tinkerbel
Old 06-12-2012, 8:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

oooh what are the voucher choices Killer? I would always choose boots/supermarket/amazon vouchers where possible because I think they are easiest to spend on normal things if you know what I mean..?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tinkerbel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 954
killerpeaty
Old 06-12-2012, 9:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Amazon 20 worth

Arcadia 20 worth

Argos 20 worth

Asda 20 worth

Bhs 20 worth

Boots 20 worth

B&Q 20 worth

Debenhams 20 worth

PC World, Currys 20 worth

Gap 20 worth

Halfords 20 worth

Harrods 20 worth

Homebase 20 worth

House of Fraser 20 worth

IKEA 20 worth

John Lewis 20 worth

Kadeos European Voucher 20 worth

Laithwaites Wine 20 worth

Love to Shop High Street 20 worth

M & S 20 worth

Morrisons 20 worth

Marriott Dinner for two Worldwide Voucher 20 worth

Marriott US Premier Platinum Voucher 20 worth

Marriott Vouchers 20 worth

Marriott Worldwide Voucher 20 worth

Next 20 worth

New Look 20 worth

Ocado 20 worth

River Island Voucher 20 worth

Sainsbury 20 worth

Selfridges 20 worth

See Tickets 20 worth

Signet 20 worth

Thomas Cook 20 worth

Thresher Voucher 20 worth

Toni & Guy 20 worth

Virgin 20 worth

Waitrose 20 worth

Waterstones 20 worth

WH Smith 20 worth

I find I always could use a voucher after I've chosen a different one... ha ha.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to killerpeaty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 955
liltdiddylilt
Old 06-12-2012, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Haha awesome Killer. I'm with Tink on this one - get a voucher that will stop you paying the same amount for something you're already going to buy. I'm maximiling my way towards a 10 asda voucher don'tcha know

Lister, good luck on the exam. Is it going to earn you more money if you pass?! If so, get your butt off swagbucks, which will definitely NOT make you rich!!!

Kat, you plank! Hope it didn't cost you more for your missed stop concentrate!!!!

HM/Siouxsie, I only just joined bzzagent a couple of weeks ago. I'm just chuffed they want to send me anything at all free to be honest. I'm happy to give my address to anyone who will send me things. **freebie hohoho!!!**

My parents come to see us every 6 weeks or so. I go out shopping, and come back to show my dad my wares. 'Here dad, I got 25% off these bibs on 3 for 2, and this free baby starter weaning pack with the baby rice I needed to buy anyway but had a 50p off voucher for too. AND I got 200 extra points here, and free baby wipes there... etc' His reply is always something along the lines of 'do you ever pay for anything love?!'

Kat, in all honestly I didn't have many vices. Probably the thing I have 'given up' that has made the most difference is my chocolate/cake obsession. I would pick up on average 3 different cake type things, plus a few packets/large bars of chocolate per shop. Was incapable of buying milk without a side order of yorkie... and pals munchies, twirl and aero. I've saved a fortune just by doing my shopping online!!! My new vice is vouchers hahahaha!! Although I have learnt the lesson that my friend hasn't; 'it's not a bargain if you weren't going to buy it anyway!'
# 956
tinkerbel
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I would say transport was/is my vice I had to stop driving unnecessary journeys in the car and really thinking about my mileage as fuel was costing so much! I no longer have a car as i moved but I now try to walk and get all my other travel as cheap as I can on trains etc with advance super off peak tickets, rail cards and the like.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinkerbel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 957
NinjaSavingKat
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 PM

Lilt with her cakes....Tink did you find it hard giving up your car?

Okay I got home safe, didn't have to wait to long however did the same thing on the bike the other night and went straight passed the turning for the M25.. took me 4 miles to find somewhere to turn..ended up 30 minutes late to my friends house...I think to much. On the bike its not good at all but this is when I have my best ideas... although quite time seems few and far between at the moment.

Lilt I know what you mean about not having any vices, its hard to get even stricter when you technically have nothing to give up HOWEVER I love tea.. the only thing that could replace it for me is dandelion coffee. Not actual coffee it just looks like it. I like it black saving on milk and its sweet enough to not need sugar.. might purchase some after Christmas. I have been know to drink 20 cups of tea in one day...ADDICTION!

Grubby smelly stinking money-grabbing conglomerate Mr T is putting his prices up. I am not a happy NSK and am wondering how much hassle and how difficult it might be to boycott large SM's for a year? I would need to stock pile / bulk buy every two months - bog roll, eggs, rice etc.. the stuff I'd have to travel all around to pick up. An AP order perhaps....I am going to look into this.

As I am becoming less and less dependant on brands of any kind I think I could quite happily live with out Mr T... Hmmm Januaries challenge perhaps... just 1 rule, no supermarkets...will think on this one...Mwah ha ha ha ha!

Okay..I am needing sleep....

I will write more tomorrow so right now just keep heading Onwards and Upwards!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 958
his missus
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM

Morning all!

Kat - I've stopped buying magazines too. I had a phase of buying crafty mags then a phase of cookery mags - despite having a shelf full of cookery books I barely refer to and plenty of crafty bits I've never yet used. Stopped buying crafty bits too unless I NEED (and will use imminently) instead of buying because I wanted (and might use sometime for something, maybe)

Now if I want inspiration I search online for a craft/recipe idea.

Killer, I'd go for a voucher that will save you money too (Asda, Love2shop) somewhere you shop often. Unless you want to treat yourself to something special. I cashed in some points for Next vouchers to treat myself to a new top for the festive season as I've no intention of spending any cash on clothes for the foreseeable future

ETA: just read BBC article, I intend to save 50 a month next year by cutting down my grocery spends. Probably won't really notice it missing and come next December we'll have enough for a London break and to pay for Christmas 2013
CCC 2014: 62.47/250 No unnessary toiletries 7/57
Virtual Sealed Pot: #143 118.37 Save 10 a week: 50. April Power member
Debt free in 2013

Last edited by his missus; 07-12-2012 at 11:34 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to his missus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 959
NinjaSavingKat
Old 07-12-2012, 2:12 PM

Well chickadees the day has started well, I have had numerous cups of tea and had some compliments on my dress from the boys at work - I have worn it so many times but always with a long scarf and cardy cause its SO cold in my office.. hey presto take the top two layers off and the magic just works itself.....kidding... I am not that vain, its just nice to hear it now and then..

So count down to Moreton-On-Marsh expedition is now underway. I finish work in precisely 90 minutes and have my boots, coat and bits to change into before I go... I have been super duper good and not eaten any of my sweeties or chocolate for the weekend.. albeit I did forget my flask that someone kindly donates months ago for a camping trip..so NO tea half way up a mountain. HOw am I supposed to survive that eh?

Downloaded 9-10 free Amazon books today - makes me think I am getting something new without spending the money - I know I have a LOT of books on my shelf at the moment but its worth getting the free ones whilst they are free - makes sense yes?

Killer - this is hard. If I had spend an amount of time on surveys and wanted something it would have to be something I kinda want but ordinarily would never spend hard cash on...Amazon though is a good all rounder...

So ladies and gents I shan't be able up update for a few days.. You need to be good and have a lovely, warm, sunny weekend. Get outside though and have a walk about - will do you good...

Onwards and Upwards..

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NinjaSavingKat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 960
Siouxsie32
Old 07-12-2012, 9:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

While the kat's away......

Who's coming out to play???
450 Day Debt Slaying Challenge:
9107.25 0 (60 days early)
New Challenge for 2014:
20,136.47 17709.22 (More than twice as much in less time )
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Siouxsie32 For This Useful Post: Show me >>