Ultimate Challenge. 457 days / £16600!!!

Comments

• RichyB71
    RichyB71 Posts: 40
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Love the posts especially the original...putting it out there is the first step to taking control. I so hope that you follow it through. For me the key part of your statement of intent was

" so there you go £16600. Works out at £37 a day. Which will make me think before I buy that bottle of water or choccie bar I really don't need ( although vintage clothing store are more of a temptation "

£37 a day....I've been working on this principle for years after coming across a good ebook that taught me to look at things from a daily perspective. It changed my life.

£37 a day sounds a whole lot better than £16600 and more achievable. my debts were nothing like that, but seeing it the way you are I'm sure you are going to make this happen some day soon.

My ebook taught me to evaluate and measure my progress also. Its important to tweak your goals if things go astray. Human are funny things we do get discouraged easy so keeping a track of things help. Try youneedabudget.com. Thats a great site for tracking your daily spending. It helps you be accountable in every area. The ebook was from a site called salaryrocket.com. Both have some costs involved but they have enough resources to make it worth while.

As a great fan of ebay its also awesome to see people using that as a tool to generate cash. Instant 10 Million buyers can't be sniffed at. And if there's ever a time to get listing its now with Christmas around the corner.

Watch for free listing weekends. I listed some stuff Sunday for free. The free listings come around every two weeks or so. What I tend to do is get all my text prepared and photographs and the minute it appears I'm on it and ready. Leaves me time to list plenty and make sure the listings are attractive enough to potential buyers. Last month I sold a 10 year old sofa throw for £38, £50 for 5 shirts I hadn't worn for ages. That was £88 from nothing. Add £20 for old golf clubs and £300 from two separate car boots and I made £408 from household stuff.

£37 a day....keep that focus...great post :)

I sold some item
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Hey there RichyB71 ( I am going to assume you are a boy yes? / sorry if you are not!! )... I have a very colorful spreadsheet to keep track of out-goings but I can see how the ebook would have helped you. My loans were arranged - they are not debts, but for the sake of this website its easier calling them debts as they inevitably are in the long run. I live the life of a hermit and my budget is very tight, I have just decided to make things that little bit more extreme. ..( I have a motorbike and land to show for it though )...

I am would you believe down to £34 a day ( please see my signature ). I have two loans. I don't class them as debts so to speak, have never missed a payment, pay £430 towards them every month but decided in all my great wisdom to for-go the easy to follow repayment plan and SMASH it two years early... Hence aiming for the end of next year! :p

Thank you for your encouragement though, its appreciated when someone pops along to contribute.... however I cannot compute the comment "I so hope that you will follow it through / Sure you are going to make it happen some day soon".... its too negative for my liking, I am realistic but I just will do it Richy - there are no if's / buts or maybes in my NSK dictionary... ;)

How much do you owe and how much have you been able to reduce it by? Ebay is a wondrous tool.. I have collected a cool £300 in the passed few weeks so I am very happy. Addictive don't you think?

Thank you for your post though - there are some encouraging words there and I really appreciate new people popping in and saying hello!!

BunnyBlu - and a very big hello to you!! I have always thought I am very lucky to just be looking after me and how hard it could be for someone with little people but you are on the right road. See through Christmas, keep it simple and watch out for what I might start in the New Year! I would suggest not including vouchers in your £5 a day challenge.. make it hard cash! Start selling more things and follow Richy and I to eBay crazy heights.... you will feel fantastic when the little pennies start drifting in...

Stay away from the shops or get it delivered.. that's all I can suggest. I walk into stores now with slight contempt with their slogans and glitter and BOGOF's tricking people into spending money.. I am out to stretch mine as far as possible and out-do the conglomerates...join my lunacy why don't you???

Think about what you are putting on your card / use cash each week instead as this will make you think hard as to whether you need it before you hand over money...OR use up all your beauty products before buying more - then live on soap instead..:)... Well done on the grocery bill though - that's an amazing saving!!!

As Happy says - its about making those numbers quake!!!

Squinky / Squinky - get a second job? Stack shelves / stuff envelopes .. do something more? We are only fierce because we care...:blushing:

Killer...how'd it go????

Right I am still at work with lots to do.. laters folks..
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Hi everyone, i've had a good day today, I had my first NSD day so very proud of myself, I went to the bank after work (free parking as I parked at the carpark of my second job), banked the £175 that I made on Sunday from selling on some items, collected my free Hot Chocolate from Cafe Nero (thanks O2 priority moments!), and now i'm at my evening job, just a short one tonight, only £24 but all those £24 add up!

Oh and I also got accepted on an Asda credit card, i'm just waiting to see the credit limit, so I can TX over hopefully the two CCs that I am planning on clearing by April - they will be cleared all the more quicker with 0% interest :-)

I also had a good day yesterday, we had a huge new Asda open down the road so I went down with my next door neighbour for the freebies! We got lots of chocolates, bag for lives and free bacon and cheese toasties whilst queueing! It was a fun morning out!
    Nov NSD: 8/7 Dec NSD: 1/10
    Sealed pot member #1443 2011: £106. 2012: £171
    Ninjakat challenge: Aim to clear two debts by April 2013
    100 day challenge: No toiletries or magazines 19/100 (3 x fails :()
    Extra payment a week challenge: Total to date: £2355.53
  • RichyB71
    Forumite
    Love the way we are being empowered by our challenges. Its a far cry from the days when the head was deep in the sand and I was ashamed to even talk about it. From standing in the shower in tears to punching the air with delight when I put a pair of scissors through my store card...its good to feel the pleasure of progress. The daily target has been the main reason for my momentum the total figure of debt ( still can't believe how it gets out of control ) sometimes is too big to contemplate. The smaller targets create the mindset needed. Sorry for the negative language hard habits :( Also good to see such SAVY buying, vouchers, BOGOF's etc. It all helps. Ebay is such a great tool for me..I've actually started an idea that may one day provide an income. Early days. The ebook inspired me to look forward beyond my debt and create an income stream. Its a weird one involving vacuum cleaners and leopard skin print :) thinking outside the box...no sales yet ( only started on sunday, free listing night on ebay ) if any sell will let you guys know. Only need to sell one a day and it eats nicely into my daily "can do" target :) cheers again for this post good to waffle about the whole thing.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Richy sweetheart..PLEASE tell me you are dressing up in leopard print and cleaning peoples houses? This is almost something I have thought about...:p..

On a serious note I am glad you are happy. Truly this debt malarky can get seriously depressing but I am glad you are out of that ditch..I am intrigued, and you don't have to if you don't want to.. is ask how much you owed and where it is now.. Your little stories are helping the people who are reading / lurking but not posting....It might help someone else to know how far you have come...

One guy on here clearned like £51k in 11 years or something similar...

I will let you waffle on my post if you let me kick the bad habits out of you now and then..:):):)

Teamwork you see...
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • nanell
    nanell Posts: 41
    Forumite
    Hey everyone,
    Got a few bits in the pipeline. Signed up for my free 30 day equifax trial so getting £5 cash ack for that at some point, as well as getting my credit file in order.
    Also signed up for Netflix 30 day trial. I figured I'll be spending a fair bit of time at home racking up the NSDs so might as well have something to do. And I get £12 cash back! Winner!
    October Awakening: Food £20/20 Petrol £50/50 Misc £190/194.01 Extra Earnings £100/196.56 SFDs 20/22
  • nanell
    nanell Posts: 41
    Forumite
    Haha! Also just realised I've been so preoccupied with money saving, I forgot to log my overtime sheet, so will be a delay in payment but should get it end of December woooo!
    October Awakening: Food £20/20 Petrol £50/50 Misc £190/194.01 Extra Earnings £100/196.56 SFDs 20/22
  • Hi, have hit my £5 a day target already and its only 0900! Woohoo!! Although I think I should count this as yesterdays as I didn't hit my target yesterday and it was a sale arranged yesterday, so had better crack on with todays challenge. Am going for 4th NSD this month, only 2nd in a row but its a start. Thanks for making me feel welcome, as I knew you all would from reading your posts and for not judging me (single mum, why have kids you can't afford etc, when my situation isn't like that) and telling me i was missing the point over the Christmas thing and for giving me the moral support I need to get myself back on track xx
  • RichyB71
    Forumite
    Richy sweetheart..PLEASE tell me you are dressing up in leopard print and cleaning peoples houses? This is almost something I have thought about...:p..

What a good idea...domestic cleaning in wild animal print. I can imagine the strap line, " you have the mess, we come dressed " or something on those lines. Grrrrrrrr

I'm about three years into clearing a debt of around £26K. I've a little way to go yet but am in the zone and reaching my daily targets. A number of store cards hit the magic scissors early on. Family loans, cars that I no longer drive and a overdrafts are fixed in my sites.

My methods have changed a little over the last few months. Since reading some inspirational stuff I've started to generate more cash than save it. Don't get me wrong I still hunt for deals like a hungry snow leopard :) and there are more vouchers in my wallet than cards and cash..but there is tremendous satisfaction in creating a little extra finance to boost your reserves and hit my targets.

My aim is to have a business account on ebay soon. First I need to establish a product that works and sells. I think about this most days, it keeps me energised and focused on my financial future. I will not get myself into the same mess again.
  • bunnyblu wrote: »
    Hi, have hit my £5 a day target already and its only 0900! Woohoo!! Although I think I should count this as yesterdays as I didn't hit my target yesterday and it was a sale arranged yesterday, so had better crack on with todays challenge. Am going for 4th NSD this month, only 2nd in a row but its a start. Thanks for making me feel welcome, as I knew you all would from reading your posts and for not judging me (single mum, why have kids you can't afford etc, when my situation isn't like that) and telling me i was missing the point over the Christmas thing and for giving me the moral support I need to get myself back on track xx

I wish you luck too :) I was happily married and was alright for money when I had my child and now I'm on my own - no ones fault but these things happen. I can't believe how judgemental people are but I've found people to be very friendly and welcoming on here :)

I think being frugal and learning the tricks of the trade from here will help our children be good with money too and learn from our money mistakes. My 9 year old loves to look for bargains and yellow stickers stuff. It makes me proud.
    Hi, my name's Katy and I'm a (former) spendaholic! :wave:
    NSD - November Challenge - 7/10
    5/11/12 - 7 Weeks to Christmas Weight Loss Challenge! 2/14
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills