Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    bumpydog
    0 WOW
    Being overpaid at work - what should we do ?
    • 6th Apr 07, 12:15 PM
    0 WOW
    Being overpaid at work - what should we do ? 6th Apr 07 at 12:15 PM
    Hi Everyone.
    Hope this is the correct forum for this question, apologies if not.

My wife returned from maternity leave at the beginning of the year, to work part-time three days a week.
    We've just noticed that in the last few payslips since she's been back that they seem to have miscalculated the number of hours shes working. The effect of this is that her basic salary ( before deductions ) is actually slightly more than it was when she worked 5 days a week full time.

The company she works for is a large multinational so it may be that this error will go unnoticed for several months or even years. We're tempted to come clean and let the company know thier mistake. On the other hand we're also thinking of putting the difference into a high interest account and not touching it, ready for when ( or if ) they notice thier mistake.

Does anyone know our legal position in this ? i.e Are we commiting an offence by not letting the company know they are paying her too much. Secondly, if the company did find out say a year down the line, could they ask for thier money back ? ( I imagine the answer to this is yes)

thanks in advance,
    bumpy.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,933Posts Today

8,124Users online

Martin's Twitter