IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Preparing for winter IV
Views: 375,039
# 41
Popperwell
Old 28-09-2012, 8:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post
Thanks for jogging my memory! .... must keep an eye out as my workplace usually offers them (but limited places) - similar to you, have one of those pesky medical conditions that makes the immune system not function properly and also a singleton which makes being ill (esp walking the dog!) a nightmare.
Yes that's me my condition all caused by an immune system problem...and spotted too late before my kidneys were affected...and probably like me you are on strong medication.

Usually its a walk in clinic rather than having to book.
"A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
carlislelass
Old 28-09-2012, 9:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Our GP is doing flu jabs 1/10 (am) and 10/10(pm)...appointments only, no drop in this year
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to carlislelass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
Skint yet Again
Old 28-09-2012, 9:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie__girlie View Post
morning all! love the thread, will be popping by to see everyone's ideas for keeping cosy in the chilly season. I've not done too much prep yet, haven't had chance as we've been busy moving house. But hopefully my dad's going to come and sort out the loft insulation (we have some but it needs spreading out, and I don't fancy going up there with all the spiders!) and have rang a company about getting some free cavity wall insulation.

Has anybody had any good / bad experiences with cavity wall insulation?

Keep cosy!

Jo x
I had free cavity wall insulation and notice the house is warmer, but rarely get spiders thankfully.

Have washed our furry throws and they have been in use already in the evenings. I also shut my curtains at dusk. Heating has been tested but not "on" yet. Usually find a jumper/fleece and throws keep us warm for a while yet.

Its supposed to be a nice day here in the south tomorrow so as well as normal washing I am going to dig the winter tog duvets out of storage and air them outside. It has been getting colder in the night and I'm back to wearing fleecy pjs. Bed socks are at the ready . Ive found gloves and scarves and am going to wash them out tomorrow too, as I suffer pain in my neck and hands when its cold and its been chilly several mornings this week. I'm going to give my slippers a wash too as have noticed feet getting cold, and will wash summer dressing gown and pack away and get out thicker winter one.

Car has had an mot and service this week. Advisory to get new front tires in the next few thousand miles, so will probably get some new ones put on before xmas. I dont do many miles locally but I do drive "up norf" to visit family at xmas time so tread will help if we get bad weather

Bought DS a new winter coat a few weeks ago in sale. Mine is still good for another year, and have dug out boots from storage and heels/soles should last another winter. I noticed Pound1and and 99p store have gloves/scarves/hats in this week. Always handy to have a spare pair in the house & car and some really nice ones good for stocking fillers
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Skint yet Again For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
Popperwell
Old 28-09-2012, 9:29 PM

Just checked...walk in clinic for two weeks 8.30am-Noon 1.00pm-5.30pm and even Saturdays 9am 11.30am so that's not bad...
"A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
Skint yet Again
Old 28-09-2012, 9:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My GP is doing flu clinics in alphabetical order this year - mine is sat 6th oct between 9.30-10.15. Hopefully this will reduce the queue which is usually out the door and round the corner
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Skint yet Again For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
bossymoo
Old 28-09-2012, 9:46 PM

I'm not eligible this year but I heard Asda are doing them...
Bossymoo
Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 7 - #91 - £500 so far
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to bossymoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
helen jelly
Old 28-09-2012, 9:59 PM

Thanks for the new thread.

I followed last year but ran out of money/time and still have things to do

List for the next week -
1. Sort and wash all winter coats
2. Get the gloves/hats out of the garage and sort/wash
3. Go up into the loft and hunt for the quilts that must be up there cos I can't find them anywhere else and we have a small house so they should be easy to spot!!

Job to do by the end of the month - start lining the curtains

We've had the heating on here in the mornings and early evenings just to take the chill off - rads are all turned down low and some are off completely

Away now to bookmark this thread :]]

Helen
Projects made for craft fair - 40
1st fair on 13/4/14
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to helen jelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
MoonJelly
Old 28-09-2012, 10:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I am elegible for the flu jab on account of my asthma and will have it done the week after next. DS had a flu jab a year ago and had such a bad reaction that the GP recommended that my son should never have the flu jab ever again (!?). I guess I'll just have to pump the kid with vitamin C and echinacea to build up his resistance to bugs...

As for winter, I got a microwavable stuffed toy to keep DS warm -he loves it! It doesn't warm up the bed as I had hoped but since DS cuddles it for sleep it keeps him cozy. His feet area is cold so I may have to get a second wheat bag for this, or use a traditional hot water bottle and take it out before he gets into bed.

I had all storage heaters serviced and prepped. I also got fleece to hang behind the blinds in the kitchen (to be used at night only to avoid creating unnecessary condensation while cooking). Next month I will get fleece for the rest of the house and thermal underwear.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to MoonJelly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
Popperwell
Old 28-09-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly View Post
I am elegible for the flu jab on account of my asthma and will have it done the week after next. DS had a flu jab a year ago and had such a bad reaction that the GP recommended that my son should never have the flu jab ever again (!?). I guess I'll just have to pump the kid with vitamin C and echinacea to build up his resistance to bugs...

As for winter, I got a microwavable stuffed toy to keep DS warm -he loves it! It doesn't warm up the bed as I had hoped but since DS cuddles it for sleep it keeps him cozy. His feet area is cold so I may have to get a second wheat bag for this, or use a traditional hot water bottle and take it out before he gets into bed.

I had all storage heaters serviced and prepped. I also got fleece to hang behind the blinds in the kitchen (to be used at night only to avoid creating unnecessary condensation while cooking). Next month I will get fleece for the rest of the house and thermal underwear.
Mum never bothered with the jab and I only started in recent years...so I suppose I should continue...

Did you see what I posted about fleeces(I forget where)but a friend on my blog suggested the following. Perhaps it could help.

"Actually, this particular project is fine for folks who don't do much sewing. You can use a yarn or tapestry needly which is big and yarn which is much easier to work with. I just used a whip stitch which is the easiest one.

I also made one for my brother who gets horrible ache in his legs when the weather is cold or damp.

I took two and sewed them end to end, then flipped one end up to make a pocket and sewed up the pocket-sides. He sticks his feet into the pocket and the backside of it keeps his calves warm, the front then goes over his legs so it keeps him warm when he watches TV. So easy and cheap and it works really well.

Lots of things you can do with fleece."

Here's an unusual idea for getting ready for winter...

http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/autumn...mbination.html

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
Popperwell
Old 28-09-2012, 10:50 PM

For anyone interested Peacocks have some more fleece Dressing Gowns and they are so soft and warm(They are more like a cashmere feel)in the men's department I have DG already but may get a spare.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
singlestep
Old 28-09-2012, 11:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just put on my brushed cotton bedlinen as I've been feeling the cold.

My weekend task (alongside the big pile of work I've brought home) is to make a to-do list for my upcoming week off. I usually do some clothes shopping, sort out my store cupboards and defrost my freezer/cook batches of something every day to stock it up again.

Some of my work clothes are really past their best, so hopefully, I find something I like but cheap enough for any pen stains not to be a disaster. I also make a head start on Christmas shopping - even if it's just a token box of chocolates or tin of biscuits, it makes me feel better!
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to singlestep For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
MarilynMonroe
Old 29-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Whoohoo shiny new thread, thought I had lost everybody!

Well tonight I've ordered an undersheet quilted mattress protector and had to buy another pyramid cat bed as one cat has nicked it from the kitten and there has been major stroppy huffs going on!

*My long coat came

I've been a bit cold on a night and been waking up several times. I was considering another quilt over but I have got a 15 tog now and a fleecey blanket, I should be warm enough you'ld think.
Need to buy some brushed cotton sheets and quilt sets I think.

Stay snug x
Debt free. ''Smell my cheese''
Quote:
Yey, someone else with common sense
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to MarilynMonroe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
Skint yet Again
Old 29-09-2012, 5:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Well I woke about an hour ago feeling cold, with a cold Am glad I had stocked up on cold and flu tablets from £land ...will def have to get thicker duvet on for tonight *sniffle. Hopefully will doze off again in a bit once pills start working

Seems weird talking about preparing for winter when at the same time I'm preparing DS for trip to SAfrica with college, so have just bought him sun cream in sale and ordered cheapo flip flops from @mazon under £2 delivered
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Skint yet Again For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
cuddlymarm
Old 29-09-2012, 6:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smile

Hi everyone

Hopefully the flu season won't be nasty this year but my GP told me that once you start having the flu jab its a good idea to carry on cos your body will be used to it (not sure whether that means you stand a better chance of catching it once you stop though)

Boots costs £12.99 and usually have plenty of appointments ( I work on the theory of it costing a couple of hours at minimum pay against losing a couple of weeks work if you do catch it and of course flu can be nasty and knock you sideways for months)

On this gloomy note I better get ready for work
Have a good day everyone
Cuddles
August grocery challenge £149.36 / £150
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to cuddlymarm For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
roddydogs
Old 29-09-2012, 7:32 AM

According to the Express next week is below freezing & Snow.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to roddydogs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
Ellie83
Old 29-09-2012, 9:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly View Post
I have cold feet too and my mum found me a pair of microwavable slippers at a French market It's soooooooo nice!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ellie83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
RosiePuddingPaws
Old 29-09-2012, 10:09 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Good morning
Can someone please guide me? I read about the bubble wrap on windows. I have a door on the cold, windy side of the house which has two large panes of glass. Should my bubble wrap be the stuff with the big bubbles or the small ones? Which is best (I have found both)?
Thanks
RPP
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to RosiePuddingPaws For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
MrsLurcherwalker
Old 29-09-2012, 10:46 AM

If anyone needs small fleeces to put behind curtains B & Q have them for £3 and they have cream, soft grey and some bright ones too. DD got one that fitted exactly behind her curtain on a medium window in the dining room without having to do any altering. Cheers Lyn.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MrsLurcherwalker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
WantToBeSE
Old 29-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popperwell View Post
Well, as said earlier in the week, got my thermal gloves(with and without fingers)thermal socks, thermal underwear, a gilet but I think that is too cold for winter(more for taking the chill off in the evening)perhaps between spring/summer and summer/autumn. it may nver get used but at least I have one.

I have various clothes and items for the bed to stay warm. Just found a wollen hat that was knitted for me years ago by an auntie(no longer here)but is still as good as new for outside or indoors.

But I think that I need to find a scarf and a pair or wellingtons as my next bit of prepping. The wellies seem to be the most difficult to get so far.

I did not used to bother with flu jabs but with a medical condition and kidney problems they say I should and being alone and no one to care for me, it's not good to get really ill with something like that so hope to get my flu jab on Monday.

Another task sorted...
Lidls are doing wellies for £9.99, and also wellie socks for a couple of quid. Its either this week, or next week the deal starts. HTH.
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
WantToBeSE
Old 29-09-2012, 10:58 AM

If anyone needs winter boots, these are on offer at cotton traders:

http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/fleec.../invt/aq10653/

Was £45, now £22.50
Will put it on the grabbit board too i think!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to WantToBeSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>