Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > Problem with 'Great British Discounts' (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Problem with 'Great British Discounts'
Views: 29,366
# 1
GotNoRhythm
Old 25-09-2012, 10:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Problem with 'Great British Discounts'

Hi all, not sure if I've put this in the right place....

I signed up to the 'Great British Discounts' offer via Raileasy - free 20 prepaid Mastercard for signing up to Great British Discounts ('No obligation, keep the card even if you cancel')

I booked train tickets to visit friends at the beginning of August and sent off for the card. I received the card yesterday, registered it, but there is no credit on the card!! I have tried calling Great British Discounts customer service department but the two phone numbers I have for them didn't work. One phone number (which came on a letter with the card) was too short to be a recognised phone number, and the freephone number on their website just 'flatlines'...

Is the company in trouble??

Has anyone else had any problems (or success) with getting a 20 card from them?

Many thanks,
Sarah
DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
MrsSweet
Old 06-10-2012, 5:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi Sarah,

I did the same deal via Littlewooods.

Literally just received and registered my Mastercard - no credit!

I've no idea what's going on and there's just something not quite right about the whole thing.

I did manage to contact them by phone within about a week of signing up (joined 24.08.12) to cancel my membership but never received the confirmation email for the cancellation as I was promised.

I emailed them a week or so later and did have an email reply confirming my cancellation but now none of my emails will go through which were enquiring about the Mastercard - they just keep bouncing back.

I've Googled the company to find out if it is a scam but this is the only post I've found anywhere abour the whole thing.

Have you had any more luck?
# 3
Aimee72
Old 07-10-2012, 4:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default This may Help

Hi sarah,

I had a similar problem with the same prepaid card, but I'm happy to say i was able to get in touch with company and they were able to sort it out for me . I got hold of there customer service dept at 08000 394053 and explained the problem with receiving my card with no credit, they explained that they had experienced a issue with some of the cards and were working on it. they also provided me with an email address which i will pass on to you.
You should contact customerservice@greatbritishdiscounts.co.uk

Hope this of help to you

regards
Aimee
The Following User Says Thank You to Aimee72 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
MrsSweet
Old 08-10-2012, 10:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee72 View Post
Hi sarah,

I had a similar problem with the same prepaid card, but I'm happy to say i was able to get in touch with company and they were able to sort it out for me . I got hold of there customer service dept at 08000 394053 and explained the problem with receiving my card with no credit, they explained that they had experienced a issue with some of the cards and were working on it. they also provided me with an email address which i will pass on to you.

Hope this of help to you

regards
Aimee

Thanks Aimee but this is the email address I've been using all along. The email gets 'delayed' for a few days adn then gets returned to me as undeliverable.

Thank you though
# 5
MrsSweet
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just thought I'd update......rang GBD today and was told the money takes 24 hours to credit (why they don't tell you that on the letter I don't know!) and I've checked the account today and the 20 was showing. I've successfully used the card to pay for petrol...so all is absolutely fine
# 6
KGB73
Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Just signed up!

I have to say, I am now more than a little nervous as to IF I will receive a card with credit on and IF the Company keeps taking furture payments of 14.99 on the fact that like some, i won't be able to cancel the account!
Please, if there is someone out there who has just recently signed, feed back would be great!
Many thanks
# 7
sadiej
Old 07-11-2012, 9:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've just had the ad flash up on my PC after placing an order with VERY. They are offering 50 surely a scam?
# 8
KGB73
Old 08-11-2012, 8:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Response

I have managed to receive a reply from great British Discounts using the address above (I was just trying it out). However, i still haven't got a membership form which I believe you then have to post to them! What a farse..I'll keep posting as the mystery unravels!
# 9
Clare01
Old 10-11-2012, 12:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSweet View Post
Thanks Aimee but this is the email address I've been using all along. The email gets 'delayed' for a few days adn then gets returned to me as undeliverable.

Thank you though
I am having the same problem - I am really worried (& feel quite daft that I subscribed in the first place, but I use the Very site quite a lot & trusted the site!). Am I right to be concerned that I have inputted my debit card details to this company & is it a Scam? I have never felt so stupid & am now panicking that my bank account will be depleted by this company!!
# 10
voodood
Old 11-11-2012, 1:10 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i signed up for this but then turns out i need to send them a print out of my bill (Very btw) and a form in the post.
slight issue i dont have a printer and no i dont know how to cancel this anyone please help
# 11
ttlac12
Old 11-11-2012, 2:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi there
I signed up for this card through ISME filled in all the info and then recieved and email to follow a link to register my email but it doesnt allow me to go to the link also how can you send a receipt of the items purchased if its through a catalogue and how do you cancel if you cant go to their email adress or numbers ?? help !!!! is it a scam they have all my card details
# 12
Aimee72
Old 13-11-2012, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee72 View Post
Hi sarah,

Hope this of help to you

regards
Aimee
Hi All,
If you are talking about the same company? use these details to get in touch with them and hopefully you will get sorted or go to their website and at the bottom click terms & conditions, that's where i got my info from.. i don't think its a scam as i and others have used the offers, but i now know to read the small print before joining any more programs.

Best wishes
Aimee
# 13
dottygal
Old 13-11-2012, 8:55 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Possible scam!!

Well, I had a message flash up after I placed my last order with Littlewoods. It said I could earn 30 cash back for being a loyal customer of Littlewoods and I just needed to fill out a form, including my bank details. It all seemed to be above board and it was full of Littlewoods logos, etc, so I presumed it was from them. Anyway, once I had completed the form and sent it through I ended up on a membership page to GBD. Not wanting anything to do with them, I emailed to cancel and the email bounced back. There is no email by that email address. So I called and called and called, but got no answer. I sent a letter to them and it got sent back unopened and undeliverable. In the meantime, BGD tried to take money from my account but failed because I had no money in my account at the time, (thank God)!! Six days later and I still can't contact anyone and I still can't cancel and they still have my bank account details!! I have contacted Littlewoods and I am waiting for a reply from them. I am absolutely livid!!!
# 14
KGB73
Old 18-11-2012, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default the saga continues

so, I emailed GBD explaining I was concerned it was a scam (fro comments I'd come across) they replied with a really nice email however I have since emailed them asking for some sort of 'form' and confiration of my membership and explaination of the promised pre paid card - no reply! I emailed again, and again - no reply! They have my card details! I have no idea what I do next! I assumed I would receive the card after I applied (on very Web Site) it sees that there is more to the process, I'm just not aware of it! Please advice would be great! I can't believe a trusted site like Very advertises this!

Last edited by KGB73; 18-11-2012 at 1:14 PM.
# 15
KGB73
Old 18-11-2012, 1:23 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Unable to check online

..UPDATE - just tried to submit a form on their website - the reference number give when signed up to Very is not recognised This is clearly a scam - I think watchdog might be a good place to complain!
# 16
voodood
Old 19-11-2012, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Here is my update...
i manged to get though to them on 0800 096 2925 took forver to connect me keept saying concetion failed them put me back to start did not have press any numbers or anything but then eventualy it went into a que.
spoke to a guy called joe walsh and he cancled it for me and i asked for email confim of this and was told i would get one.

lets see what happens now hope this helps some people like me

V00d00d
# 17
annie42
Old 23-11-2012, 6:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Flybe & Great British Discounts

I registered to claim 20 back after buying flights from Flybe not realizing I was subscribing to Great British Discounts who advertise on Flybe's site.They must have used the credit card details I had provided to Flybe and did not make it clear that I was doing anything other than claiming a discount voucher. I only discovered what I'd done when I spotted 3 payments of 14.95 on my credit card statements. I am surprised that Flybe are willing to be associated with such a disreputable company. I have cancelled my subscription and they have, strangely without argument, agreed to refund the payments charged to my credit card account. I have asked for email confirmation of this but am holding my breath having read other posts about this company. Will report back!
The Following User Says Thank You to annie42 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Guardsman
Old 23-11-2012, 7:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There are lot's of complaints about this company and this is just one site http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...tish-Discounts .
It does pay to Google before you sign up for anything.
I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
# 19
annie42
Old 23-11-2012, 7:24 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks I have already looked the legabeagles site. The way the offer was advertised and worded while I was still on the Flybe site and appeared immediately after making payment for the flights misled me into thinking it was a one off offer from Flybe. Am amazed Flybe allow them use of their site.
# 20
preciouscargo627
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Scam?

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. Signed up my details. No result. I can not get them to close my account or answer my emails. I can't even log into my account as it comes up with an error screen...

I have resorted to emailing VERY since I trusted them, they advertised this thing hence in my view as their customer they are partly responsible...

Lets see what happens next.