Question about long grain rice/rice pudding

Hi I was wondering if anyone can answer this question for me.

We have somehow accumulated a huge amount of long grain rice in our cupboard and I was wondering if I can make rice pudding with this? Does anyone have a recipe? And if not does anyone have any other ideas about what I can do/make with it please???

Thank you!!!
Sometimes you have to go through
the rain to get to the
rainbow

Comments

• Flimber
    Flimber Posts: 736 Forumite
    I'm sure you can but as to whether it'll resemble short-grain rice pudding, my instincts tell me that it won't. Maybe you could cook a mini rice pud (say 10g rice to approx 60ml milk, and sugar to taste as avery rough guide) and see how it fares before wasting time, effort and rice (and hope !) finding out that's it's disastrous. I wonder if agitating whilst cooking (normally verboten) might give you a more glutinous, sticky pudding more akin to one made using short grain rice.
  • milkydrink
    milkydrink Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Pudding rice is short grain rice.
    As far as I know you can't BUT why not try making a small amount, you don't want to waste milk if it doesn't work.
    You never know it might well work.
    Or someone who knows lots about baking might be able to guide you :-)

Kim
  • ClaireLR
    ClaireLR Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Flimber I'll have a go like you said using a small amount and will let you know of the outcome!
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    other uses are all the usuals, serve with chilli, curry, in a pilaff, with chicken supreme stirfrys etc
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I've read about eating long grain rice as a breakfast cereal with hot milk and sugar in an American cookbook ;) but, as others have said you can't make a traditional rice pud with long grain rice. You, can however make it with risotto rice and risotto with pudding rice.
  • Flimber
    Flimber Posts: 736 Forumite
    It might work for a ground rice pudding too, it just occurred to me.
  • ClaireLR
    Forumite
    whats a ground rice pudding??? Never heard of one of those!?!
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    Hi Claire

I actually used long grain rice to make a rice pud in my slow cooker, and it was great. obviously not the same as when you use risotto or pud rice, but still deeeeelicious...
    i had the same prob as you ie loads of it, so i tried a recipe i found online and it worked fine.

try it, it's great!

http://www.slowandsimple.com/recipedetail.php?id=1339

hth
    clare;)
  • scrimperjan
    scrimperjan Posts: 223
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You can buy 'ground rice' in packets, it's kind of powdery, like ground coffee. My daughter used to love ground rice pudding when she was a toddler. It's a bit like semolina when you cook it in milk. Sounds like Flimber is suggesting you grind your own, from the long grain rice, is that right Flimber? By the way I've made rice pudding with long grain rice before - it's not as nice as with 'proper' pudding rice but still OK. You might find it doesn't absorb all the milk, but you could always thicken it up with half a teaspoon of cornflour mixed with a drop of cold milk at the end.
  • ClaireLR
    Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies....

Well I had a go, and as a few people have said it does work but doesnt taste quite so nice as when made with pudding rice but does still taste good! Clarabel thanks for the recipe I'll try that one!

And in the meantime if anyone has any more uses for huge amounts of long grain rice please do let me know!!
    the rain to get to the
    rainbow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills