Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > Huawei G300 65 from Tesco (Page 36)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Huawei G300 65 from Tesco
Views: 111,282
# 701
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 8:34 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have the non-Voda V940 ICS installed and in Opera Mobile the Adobe website reports I have working flash version 11.1.115 which I didn't install.

In the in-built browser app it is also shown the same, the website identifies the Browser as Safari... haha!

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html

Flash doesn't work in Chrome.

Last edited by sillygoose; 05-11-2012 at 8:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to sillygoose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 702
Iconic
Old 05-11-2012, 8:40 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroUK View Post
I like text wrapping and column view on opera mobile as per original g300 browser which great for reading forums on your mobile but this is not on opera mini
Have you used Opera Link with Opera Mobile? I can get the link to work between my desktop and laptop but not on Opera Mobile. It seems quite a few people have problems with this and Opera say they have fixed it but I cannot get it to work with my mobile!
# 703
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 8:53 AM
MoneySaving Convert

[QUOTE=sillygoose;56989935]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroUK View Post

I thought it had worked for you Jethro without root from what you said on Modoco forum?

The point of this is it shouldn't need rooting to do, and I believe you don't need to install adb (for this task it applies more to MAC's) I certainly haven't - yet it run different on my PC to Intenso's so I think its something at Intenso's PC - he gets file not found, it aint going to do much in that case - if nothing else it should run and fail to update so we need to work out why.
Just tried the process on a different lappy with AV paused and it still didn't work.

Not sure what else to do now apart from wait for a different fix from the boys at Modaco...
# 704
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 8:59 AM
MoneySaving Convert

[QUOTE=sillygoose;56986705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intenso View Post
Its hard to see because the the script closes but can you see if its even finding the adb-windows.exe? or is that utility not finding the file its supposed to copy?

If you can open a command prompt window first then run the script so it stays open to see the messages..
(in windows 7 holding shift then right clicking on the folder gives an option to open command window here, then at prompt just type dictfix-windows.bat)
Its not finding the abd, it just states device not found.
# 705
Emy1501
Old 05-11-2012, 9:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygoose View Post
I have the non-Voda V940 ICS installed and in Opera Mobile the Adobe website reports I have working flash version 11.1.115 which I didn't install.

In the in-built browser app it is also shown the same, the website identifies the Browser as Safari... haha!

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html

Flash doesn't work in Chrome.
Thanks alot. I'm picking mine up this evening. I wasn't planning to update to ICS yet and was hoping flash would be simple to install or would be installed. I'll see what happens.
# 706
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 1:18 PM

[QUOTE=Intenso;57007307]
Quote:

Its not finding the abd, it just states device not found.
Sorry - apparently other people have installed the abd android developer kit package to make it work but thats not clear from the forum posts, I guess the modoco people forget what they load up!

Anyway your other option is to root the phone, it doesn't need the next step unlocking bootloader or any of that as your not going to change ROMs.

Once rooted its a simple matter of using a more advanced file manager (like ES File Explorer (free)) to copy a couple of files as the file manager can now read and write files in the locked system folder.

Here is a dilemma, I know how I did it with the version of ICS I have but I have no idea if it makes any difference if someone is on Voda ICS - may work, may not! (both 4.0.3?)

Has to be at least the right root unlocker utility for the android version your on, one for 2.3 will either not work or even worse!

On the plus side, once rooted you can make apps system apps by just moving them - sometimes useful. I am using a great toggles widget but installed as a normal app it doesn't have the permission to switch on/off GPS directly. Once moved into the system folder it can just like the default one only this one is fully configurable and has a 3G on/off toggle, flash lamp on/off etc.
# 707
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 3:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

OK, thanks SG.

I'm on the Velcom 940 Vers of ICS that you linked above.

Is it a simple process to root the phone from there.

I tried to install the abd android developer kit but got lost somewhere along the way lol
# 708
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
OK, thanks SG.

I'm on the Velcom 940 Vers of ICS that you linked above.

Is it a simple process to root the phone from there.

I tried to install the abd android developer kit but got lost somewhere along the way lol
I used from the 'Unlocking and gaining root on Ice Cream Sandwich' section here with the unlockbootloader.exe program listed there. STOP Before 'Unlock Bootloader' bit.

It worked although part the process of unlocking system is the placing of part of the superuser app 'on the other side of the fence' this then can be told to allow you to pass things over the 'fence'.

The unlocker will smuggle some older basic version over which is just enough to get started..

After using unlocker go to the market install superuser on the 'user side'

This just leaves the issue that the 'secure' side doesn't properly match the 'user' side version - they thought of this so you need to use Superuser Update Fixer to get things up to date. (internet access needed) Once in sync you don't need this app, can update from Play as any app does.

The unlocker utility generates a virus warning on my PC so I had to disable it temporarily, It is a false alarm due to the program using code that is similar to a virus by nature its hacking your phone by exploiting a weakness in Unix. Also got an error message at the end I think, I think a spelling mistake in the closing bit of script. Still worked.

Also get from the market a root checking app like this, it will check and confirm when you have success.

Basically once the phone is rooted anything trying to get access to the secure bits will have to go through superuser which will pop up and ask you if you want to let it do so, still protected then.

Once you have root, get ES File Explorer - in the options you can set root access - generally safer left disabled, if superuser ask if it can give it permission grant it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sillygoose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 709
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 6:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks, SG

I think I'll have to gather some courage before I attempt that one. Looks a bit complicated.

I don't want to fubar my G300 when its working so well.
# 710
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks, SG

I think I'll have to gather some courage before I attempt that one. Looks a bit complicated.

I don't want to fubar my G300 when its working so well.
Yup - although the unlocker is the key bit, the rest is just apps.
# 711
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 7:05 PM

Meanwhile G300 campers, if your bored you can have a play with Huawei HiSuite from here....

Its a PC app to manage your phone with your PC.

(Phone has to have USB debug set on in developer options in setup)

Manage your phone, see what pictures and music are on, edit your contacts, see your messages, backup data, messages, apps.

You can even grab your screen to a image, here is mine at this moment..

# 712
Jaxer
Old 05-11-2012, 7:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Meanwhile G300 campers, if your bored you can have a play with Huawei HiSuite from here....

Its a PC app to manage your phone with your PC.

(Phone has to have USB debug set on in developer options in setup)

Manage your phone, see what pictures and music are on, edit your contacts, see your messages, backup data, messages, apps.

You can even grab your screen to a image, here is mine at this moment..
An alternative way to do this is if you download "Airdroid" from the market. Let's you do all the things you described but the advantage of Airdroid is it's through your WiFi so no fiddling about having to connect/disconnect the cable. Very easy to get started.

(And it's free)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaxer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 713
Daz2009
Old 05-11-2012, 9:06 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Are there any known issues with sd cards ?
I had an old sandisk 1Gb card in my phone working perfectly,bought a 32Gb no-name off the bay and it won't detect....I put the same card in a Sony Experia and it works.
Any thoughts ?
# 714
deanos
Old 05-11-2012, 9:15 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

could be a fake dodgy card, put it in your pc and try and fill it up see if it is actually 32gb

or run this program http://sosfakeflash.wordpress.com/20...erfeit-drives/

Last edited by deanos; 05-11-2012 at 9:23 PM.
# 715
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 9:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxer View Post
An alternative way to do this is if you download "Airdroid" from the market. Let's you do all the things you described but the advantage of Airdroid is it's through your WiFi so no fiddling about having to connect/disconnect the cable. Very easy to get started.

(And it's free)
Thanks for the heads up, nice little app
# 716
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz2009 View Post
Are there any known issues with sd cards ?
I had an old sandisk 1Gb card in my phone working perfectly,bought a 32Gb no-name off the bay and it won't detect....I put the same card in a Sony Experia and it works.
Any thoughts ?
Your a brave man! Ebay generics are well known for being the land of 'fakes' an onboard chip simulates the effect of large ram with there only actually being a small one present, some compress files on the fly, others just misreport the space. Chinese factories buy very cheap chips that failed production, maybe the upper half is unreadable so they fake it just to use the lower half and fib.

only easy way to tell is to copy large hard-to-compress files like mpg movies and try and fill it completely, then copy the files back off and see if they are still the same size and fully playable (not just full of zeros!)

I would always go for Amazon sellers and branded, still very cheap but easier to sort out if issues.
# 717
Daz2009
Old 05-11-2012, 9:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Strange that in my mates Sony it detects it and shows 31Gb free....???
# 718
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 9:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just noticed that ICS doesn't allow me to move apps onto the SD card.

Does anyone know a fix for this?
# 719
sillygoose
Old 05-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Just noticed that ICS doesn't allow me to move apps onto the SD card.

Does anyone know a fix for this?
There is over 2GB of memory free internal on G300.. how many apps do you have?

# 720
Intenso
Old 05-11-2012, 10:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
There is over 2GB of memory free internal on G300.. how many apps do you have?

LOL, now you mention it I've only used 415mb on the Apps.

Still room for a few more

Just installed London bus checker while I'm looking for a new car. Very usefull App!