MSE News: Santander U-turn saves free business banking

"Santander has scrapped plans to force 230,000 small business customers to pay a fee for a 'free forever' account ..."

Comments

• on reading this good news, i phoned the dedicated team that are dealing will this, and they deny this is happening and the fess will still be coming in force.

Iam hoping it is the case they have not been informed yet, if it is, its pretty poor for them to put out a statement to MSE with out informing the people that are dealing with this .
  • just had a call back to confirm yes all account that are currently free will remain so :)
  • psdie
    psdie Posts: 126 Forumite
    A massive thank you and word of congratulations to those that campaigned tirelessly on this issue, particularly Susievintage, magpiecottage and tinman9898 in this thread! :j

Santander were clearly in the wrong from the very outset on this change, at very least on an ethical basis and very possibly on a legal one too (collateral material forming part of contract, etc, as expertly highlighted by magpiecottage). Good they've done the right thing eventually - though I see they continue with the weasel words:
    After listening to feedback from our existing customers, a small number of whom do not feel their businesses would benefit from these changes, we will be retaining the fee-free option for existing customers

Small number compared with 80k account holders they'd written to so far perhaps (of which a significant number may have been held by same individual / company, or no longer actively used), but I've not seen a single customer report anything other than disgust at the proposal. This forum is just one of dozens of groups, threads, articles and Twitter discussions outright opposing the change.

And that silly survey they totted out, saying customers wanted "more transparency" and better "business support"! What's the bet that that survey made zero mention that account fees would be necessary in order to make those changes? There's a big difference between "I'd like more support for my business" and "I'm happy to waive the fee-free promise if you ...". They just rang up, asked for a wish list, and used it as ammo.

Finally, a word of warning: Santander make clear they will retain the fees for newer accounts and "welcome" customers to "upgrade" to paid accounts. It'd be very naive to think this is the last we'll hear of fee changes - I'm betting they'll gradually introduce additional stealth charges for free ACs now, such as increased service fees and withdrawing postage paid cheque deposit envelopes. The latter I think I read might even already be on the cards?

Still, good news overall. Well done again all! :T

PS: BBC's coverage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19506634
  • magpiecottage
    magpiecottage Posts: 9,241 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2012 at 10:09PM
    Santander waving the white flag of victory (a term Margaret Thatcher used!).

I recommend keeping your complaint running unless and until you get it in writing from Santander.

And then, whatever you do, hang on to that letter!
  • You bet!!!!!

This proves once again, never assume the other guys know what they are doing!!!
  • What I do not understand is why they thought they could get away with it.

The Carlill case is quite a classic piece of contract law and FOS has numerous examples of how it has forced firms to honour promises on its website.

It is possible that Santander is full of "yes" (wo)men but my guess is that somebody did tell the senior management who "heard what they said" but didn't listen.

Santander UK plc had 3670 complaints about banking referred to FOS in the second half of 2011. It will be interesting to see how many there are in the second half of 2012.
  • I recommend keeping your complaint running unless and until you get it in writing from Santander. And then, whatever you do, hang on to that letter!

Definitely,

AND THEN, start your complaint for compensation regarding all the time and expense of dealing with the fiasco.... searching for, applying for, and opening new bank accounts, for example. It takes quite some time sorting out. I am sure at the end of that next phase the bank will have to cough up about £250 to any involved -- something like that.

As my rugger teacher used to say: "Never hit a man when he is down; kick him, it's safer and easier, and certainly don't wait till he gets up on his feet again in case he whacks you!"

As for Thatcher, "A white flag of Victory"?
    No, whatever Thatcher may have smoking in her last few hours, a white flag is nothing else than SURRENDER. And Santander has been defeated publicly, and internationally. And expensively, too, if you just look at their envelopes/postage bill x80,000 accounts (I have had about 5x letters) plus all the call-in centre phone calls (I have had at least 4-5 of them) and promo, website mods etc etc etc. Must have cost them a bomb so far.

That was a real plank idea, that was.

That Spanish Armada has been sent back again with their tails between their legs. "They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mannering" (while we are on quotations).:D
  • Yes a great result which shows that even the Santander can change their minds. Mind you I'm sure it had nothing to do with reason, fairness or listening to customers, more that so many of us had taken steps to involve the FOS and Santander could see the £££'s cost of that looming as they prepared to fight (and possibly lose) the case. Better to retreat with tail between legs that loose....

Santander though have lost out. No doubt I am not alone in having removed savings (mine, my wifes and childrens) and more when accounts 'mature'. So my immediate family will have withdrawn c£50k, which they will never see again.

I have opened an hsbc account, while retaining the santander account, so will run both concurrently to see which performs best. The 'forever free' guarantee will be difficult to forego, unless santander make changes to their terms and degrade their already poor customer service even further. But I have enjoyed the fight santander and don't care what spin you put on it - you LOST, bigtime.
  • A white flag of Victory"?
    No, whatever Thatcher may have smoking in her last few hours, a white flag is nothing else than SURRENDER.
    I think she had her tongue firmly in her cheek when she said it.
    bmtney54 wrote: »
    I'm sure it had nothing to do with reason, fairness or listening to customers, more that so many of us had taken steps to involve the FOS and Santander could see the £££'s cost of that looming as they prepared to fight (and possibly lose) the case.

I suspect they got one or two letters from adjudicators upholding complaints and thought again.
    I have opened an hsbc account, while retaining the santander account, so will run both concurrently to see which performs best. The 'forever free' guarantee will be difficult to forego

Move all the direct debits and standing orders and reduce the balance to a pound and the account remains in existence.
  • I got my letter from santander, and there is a limit of 100 cheques in and 100 cheques out a month limit, I rung up and checked it was per month.

I was about to move my account to HSBC and popped into Santander on the way to see if they'd changed their mind, and she told me they had a few weeks ago when it was on BBC website.

The interest paid is lower for free accounts 0.1 instead of 0.25 and the authorised overdraft rate is higher too.

Apparently if you complain to ombudsman they have to pay £500 admin fee and they faced 230k people complaining...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure