Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • moanin'minnie
    • 31st Mar 07, 1:04 PM
    • 31st Mar 07, 1:04 PM
    have you tried stardrops. I am a recent convert and find it cleans most things you should give it a try!!
  • carol_a
    • 31st Mar 07, 1:18 PM
    • 31st Mar 07, 1:18 PM
    I tried everything with my table and chairs when they went like this and failed I'm afraid. I hope you have better luck. I'm buying green ones next time!
  • Vashti
    • 31st Mar 07, 10:56 PM
    • 31st Mar 07, 10:56 PM
    Try plain old 'soda crystals' from any supermarket. Dissolve in a basin of boiling water, and give them a good clean. It'll take any stain off...try it in mugs, gets tea and coffee stains off equal to the dishwasher
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 31st Mar 07, 11:29 PM
    • 13,031 Posts
    • 114,296 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 31st Mar 07, 11:29 PM
    • 31st Mar 07, 11:29 PM
    Few worth trying if you have them

Bio washing powder
    Soda crystals
    Ajax scouring powder

My Mam says don't use bleach as hers went yellow.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
  • nickj
    • 1st Apr 07, 10:43 AM
    • 1st Apr 07, 10:43 AM
    try using t-cut avaiable from halfrords / motor spares
    or how about painting them , plastikote do a spray for that sort of stuff
    should be avaiable at homebase , b+q etc
    • lavidaloca
    • By lavidaloca 27th Apr 07, 5:30 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    lavidaloca
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:30 PM
    How do I clean plastic garden furniture?
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:30 PM
    Chairs are ok just need a soapy wash but the table was left out longer than it should have been and has greeny stains on it what should I use please?
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 27th Apr 07, 5:36 PM
    • 13,031 Posts
    • 114,296 Thanks
    lil_me
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:36 PM
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:36 PM
    I remember a post recommending those eraser type sponges for it (Flash do them but £1 shops etc have cheaper versions) Many use stardrops with success. A job I need to tackle next week so let me know if you find something that works well.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 27th Apr 07, 5:44 PM
    • 24,741 Posts
    • 39,627 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:44 PM
    • 27th Apr 07, 5:44 PM
    stardrops has worked for me
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • lavidaloca
    • By lavidaloca 27th Apr 07, 6:00 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    lavidaloca
    Good got stardrops and micro cloths will give it ago I was wondering if the vinegar/bicarb would work on the stained bits
  • savingsara
    Nilco upvc cleaner is good
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Apr 07, 7:18 PM
    • 17,526 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi lavidaloca,

We have a recent thread that may help too so I've added your thread to it to keep all the suggestions together.

It may also be worth a look at these older threads:

Cleaning a plastic patio table?????

Cleaning plastic furniture?

and this recent one on the Greenfingered board: Great tip for cleaning garden furniture!

Pink
  • Jayar
    I remember a post recommending those eraser type sponges for it (Flash do them but £1 shops etc have cheaper versions) .
    Originally posted by lil_me

Yep, I can't remember who suggested this either, but I tried it and they work brilliantly.
    Last edited by Jayar; 27-04-2007 at 9:31 PM. Reason: Oooops I see that post has been linked above and it was madhouse
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
  • daisy doughnut
    o0o0o i had the same problem a few weeks ago i even borrowed my friends jet wash an it didnt work

i resigned to paint spray

i am now the proud owner or a red plastic patio set

oh an i got the spray on the half price shelf in wilkies

good luck
  • davioberon
    Hi, I've tried most of the recommended suggestions. A couple work, sort of, but are very labour intensive. I then tried an electric drill with a disk attachment to which I fitted a soft abrasive disk. This worked perfectly, did not damage the plastic in any way and only took me about 20 minutes. The particular item now looks like new, however, I could have saved myself a lot of time and effort by simply purchasing a replacement item. Thanks for the ideas anyway.
    Last edited by davioberon; 28-11-2009 at 4:48 PM.
    • 666paw
    • By 666paw 28th Jun 10, 6:34 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 2,481 Thanks
    666paw
    Cleaning white plastic table & chairs
    Hi everyone, I hope you may be able to help me.

I have as you can tell from the title a white plastic table and 4 chairs which have been kept outside with no cover and are now very dirty. Do any of you have a old style cleaning method in an attempt to get them clean?

I have tried sopa & water, vinegar but all to no avail. I am trying to use more eco products but will resort to others if there is nothing.

Looking forward to hearing fro you all.

P.
    MFI3 T3 # 75
  • jackieglasgow
    Good old fashioned Cif will do the job nicely. I always have some on the go, although abottle lasts me a year or two, the one I have, I have had since I moved here, February 2009!
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 28th Jun 10, 6:46 PM
    • 4,265 Posts
    • 15,943 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    I have to admit OH gets the pressure washer out, they get one blast then a scrub with stardrops, then a second blast.
    I know not everyone has a pressure washer, but if you know someone who does its worth a borrow. Oh does the patio with it as well.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Save 12k in 2016 challenge no 60 £182.20/£6000
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 28th Jun 10, 6:52 PM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 27,046 Thanks
    tessie bear
    snap..we use stardrops and the presssure washer...it comes up well
    on the brink...
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 28th Jun 10, 8:42 PM
    • 17,080 Posts
    • 132,712 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    I'd go for the cream cleaner and a plastic scourer (careful not to scratch the plastic ). There are more ideas in this thread; I'll add this to that later to keep ideas together.
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,328Posts Today

5,403Users online

Martin's Twitter