IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
convector room heater - safe to run?
Closed Thread
Views: 13,993
# 1
free4440273
Old 31-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default convector room heater - safe to run?

hi folks, wondering if you can give me some advice. i have just bought a house; house is warm but one of the upstairs bedroom does bot have a radiator. because of the layout of the house (it's a chalet type house with underfloor heating in all the rooms; bathrooms have normal radiators) i do not want to start ripping up floorboards just to install a single radiator in this only upstairs bedroom (not at the moment anyway). the room is very cold as you can imagine and it just needs some tender loving care. just to get me through would a convector heater be safe and (reasonably) economical to run in your opinion (such as link below). i am not just wanting to keep the room superficially warm (for the person living in there) but because, longer term, if it is left without warmth then this will cause more problems. i don't anticipate leaving the heater on all day by any means - just for short runs etc. sorry for the long post: would really appreciate your advice. also argos also sell oil-filled radiators: is there a major difference; i just want something convenient and which warms the room up. thanks as always folk

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...%2Bheaters.htm
BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS

THE PUNISHER MATURE CHEDDAR ADDICT
# 2
missile
Old 31-03-2007, 1:32 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You might be better with an oil filled radiator, like http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...Bradiators.htm
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Ride hard or stay home
The Following User Says Thank You to missile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
thescouselander
Old 31-03-2007, 1:33 PM

Yes, I imagine that would be ok. I'm going to get something similar for our conservatory. Running costs will depend on how much you have it switched on. How big is the room?
The Following User Says Thank You to thescouselander For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
missile
Old 31-03-2007, 1:52 PM

Convector heater will give more rapid response but oil filled is better for low level heating. You could plug in either via a time clock.

Both are "safe" to use but you must be careful never to cover a convector - can cause fire.
"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi
Ride hard or stay home
The Following User Says Thank You to missile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
free4440273
Old 31-03-2007, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
Yes, I imagine that would be ok. I'm going to get something similar for our conservatory. Running costs will depend on how much you have it switched on. How big is the room?
thanks. my arithmetic is appaling - the size of the room is approx 3metres by 2.5metres (it's not the master bedroom, but next one down).
BLOODBATH IN THE EVENING THEN? OR PERHAPS THE AFTERNOON? OR THE MORNING? OH, FORGET THIS MALARKEY!

THE KILLERS

# 6
free4440273
Old 31-03-2007, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missile View Post
Convector heater will give more rapid response but oil filled is better for low level heating. You could plug in either via a time clock.

Both are "safe" to use but you must be careful never to cover a convector - can cause fire.
thanks. sorry for the following stupid questions: is low level heating what i should really be concerned about; and do the oil filled radiators actually have to be filled with oil regularly; and third which particular oil? thanks

THE KILLERS

# 7
Poppycat
Old 31-03-2007, 5:03 PM

I got one of these the other day and they are quick to heat room up and pretty safe as long as you leave some space for them. They also have various hear settings smallest being 400w.

1.6kW Halogen Heater £19.99

The Following User Says Thank You to Poppycat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
PurpleDuck
Old 31-03-2007, 5:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4440273 View Post
thanks. sorry for the following stupid questions: is low level heating what i should really be concerned about; and do the oil filled radiators actually have to be filled with oil regularly; and third which particular oil? thanks
Don't have to be filled at all so don't worry about that
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleDuck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
rosekitten
Old 31-03-2007, 6:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

we have one of the halogen fires they are good
even on the lowest setting

Last edited by rosekitten; 31-03-2007 at 6:30 PM.
# 10
Nobleck
Old 31-03-2007, 10:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Convector heaters are the quickest way of heating a room, whereas oil filled radiators tend to take ages to heat a room.
Oil filled radiators get very hot to the touch whereas convector heaters cool down very rapidly.
On an energy point of view there probably isn't much difference , as the long running of an oil rad to heat up a room would probably cost the same as a sort burst with a convector heater.
Goodluck with your choice either heater would be sufficient however i favor the Convector.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobleck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
joughtib
Old 31-03-2007, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to joughtib

We've been running a 2kw convector heater in our conservatory over the winter, and our electric bill is horrendous! Just a word of caution, yes they heat a room quick, but you'll heat it quicker when you get the electric bill, with the running around the room screaming!

We've now got a gas portable fire, which is used in small doses (with plenty of ventilation!)
Halifax Mortgage £119,000£117051, - Mortgage Aim to be paid by End of January 2020[/SIZE]
With Martin and the help from everyone on this site, I will do it
# 12
free4440273
Old 31-03-2007, 10:21 PM

Nobleck, thanks for that really useful advice. i think i will probably go with the convector from argos as in my original post. have a lovely easter also. any other views would still be welcome

THE KILLERS

# 13
free4440273
Old 31-03-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joughtib View Post
We've been running a 2kw convector heater in our conservatory over the winter, and our electric bill is horrendous! Just a word of caution, yes they heat a room quick, but you'll heat it quicker when you get the electric bill, with the running around the room screaming!

We've now got a gas portable fire, which is used in small doses (with plenty of ventilation!)
that is indeed worrying for me - this was my main concern. i had assumed that, as with most things nowdays, they had been able to build in power conserving chips into the devices so it output at a steady rate. i assumed wrongly... thanks for that - i might have to rethink on this one i suppose.

THE KILLERS

# 14
Nobleck
Old 31-03-2007, 10:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by joughtib View Post

I had a big elctric bill last year, it turned out that it was down to my 2 Convector heaters, even though they had thermostats(turn off when room upto temperature)they still draw a small amount of electricity.
I cured the problem of the big bill by turning the heaters off at the socket once i was happy with the room temperature.
And as i said before an oil filled rad would use the same amount of electricity because they need to be on so long to heat a decent sized room.
Have a nice Easter too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nobleck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
free4440273
Old 31-03-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleck View Post
I had a big elctric bill last year, it turned out that it was down to my 2 Convector heaters, even though they had thermostats(turn off when room upto temperature)they still draw a small amount of electricity.
I cured the problem of the big bill by turning the heaters off at the socket once i was happy with the room temperature.
And as i said before an oil filled rad would use the same amount of electricity because they need to be on so long to heat a decent sized room.
Have a nice Easter too.
...will definetly follow that advice. thanks once again

THE KILLERS

# 16
greyteam1959
Old 01-04-2007, 1:52 PM

If its an upstairs room and you dont use it much why not just leave the room door open ?????
Warm air rises and you might find that this is enough to just air the room.
And guess what.........its FREE !!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to greyteam1959 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread