Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 28th Aug 12, 10:46 PM
    • 8,710Posts
    • 60,641Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Feed a family of four for 20 a week challenge
    • 28th Aug 12, 10:46 PM
    Feed a family of four for 20 a week challenge 28th Aug 12 at 10:46 PM
    This is coming from the 7 a week thread. We need ideas on healthy meals for a family of four with 20 a week, this must include fruit and veg and protein. And like the 7 a week thread there is no stock cupboard. Can we do it guys and gals?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Zorica; 03-12-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
Page 64
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 18th Oct 16, 9:09 PM
    • 8,710 Posts
    • 60,641 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    The new Super six All at 55p from Thurs 20th to Weds 2nd November

Kale-200g, Satsumas 600g, Butternut Squash, Funsize Apples min 5 pack, Asparagus, Chestnut Mushrooms-250g

I love satsumas, so they are on my list, Butternut squash, roasted and made into soup or added to a veggie crumble or curry, chestnut mushrooms, I will by a lot of them to freeze for later and use them to make soup, risotto and have with egg and bacon on Saturday.

The old SS is on offer until tomorrow night so I must go and pick up more parsnips etc

Working on these two overlapping SS's my menu is going to revolve around them.
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • meg72
    • By meg72 19th Oct 16, 9:38 AM
    • 4,483 Posts
    • 41,866 Thanks
    I am using up odds and ends today and will meal plan based on what I have in the cupboards/freezer. We have a packet of burger buns in the freezer and some spicy bean burgers, that is supper sorted. I had exactly 400g of brown bread flour, so that is in the breadmaker doing a sandwich loaf for tomorrow. I have a bottle of lemon juice so as the girls have been laying well I will make some lemon curd. Dad is back from respite now and that is his favourite.
    Originally posted by FrugalinShropshire
    Would love your recipe for lemon curd using a bottle of juice, if you can spare time to post it please. I love lemon curd but find it such a faff when using lemons.

I am also on a use up mission hoping to make room in the freezer for Christmas stuff.

So out of freezer today Pork chop, green beans and cauliflower, baked potato. 2 slices of bread and portion baked beans.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 20th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 8,710 Posts
    • 60,641 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Had a huge Cauli that I got on the market for 70p and we had it for dinner last night and I had enough to make a Cauliflower cheese for lunch today
    Not Buying it 2015!
    • primalmother
    • By primalmother 20th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    I love these threads but I wonder if any one had done them for someone with additional dietry needs such as coeliac or dairy intolerant??
    Ive tried a serach but nothing much is coming up with those needs. can anyone help?? TIA
    • juliesname
    • By juliesname 20th Oct 16, 11:57 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Hi primalmother,

I put a mealplan on this thread based on the food I eat. Gluten-free bread, pasta, sausages would make it cost more than the 25 limit - but most of the meals are foods without gluten.

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 21st Oct 16, 9:00 AM
    • 13,709 Posts
    • 106,664 Thanks
    Made a large pan of leek and potato soup yesterday (2 litres) with leeks that cost me 49p for three and a couple of spuds from my potato bag. This will do six lunches with cheese and crackers. Cost pennies really to make, and so much nicer than tinned stuff.I have put two portions in the freezer and have at least another three to last me until Sunday.

Last night dinner was half a tin of baked beans a jacket spud and two y/s chilli flavoured sausages, with an apple for pudding.

Lunchtime today will be the other half of the tin of beans with an egg and some grilled haloumi cheese.

Tonights dinner is a cheese salad..Porridge for breakfast as its a bit of a nippy day and it will warm me up. I am still eating my way through the stocks as much as I can .

I have done my shopping yesterday so no shopping needed now, fingers crossed, until the end of the month.

Half term next week so I will be at DDs looking after the boys, although she is hoping for a couple of lieu days off midweek so it will be hopefully a trip to Dover castle with a picnic midweek as I have an English Heritage ticket that the boys are all listed on and my DD gets in free as she is listed as my carer as I am registered disabled because of mobility problems.

I shall be baking several cakes at the weekend as my contribution towards the boys picnics next week. I am hoping to pick up a recipe for welsh tea bread this afternoon from my History tutor at History club as she made a delicious one last week.

We can always find things to do that don't cost a great deal of cash, as long as the boys get fed some cake and hot drinks they are quite happy to go out for days in Kent.
    Quot Libra,Quam Breve Tempus.

Day 23 and 21/23 NSD so far spent 46.91 and have 13.09 left in my food purse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

313Posts Today

2,692Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yay. Thank you for all your help Colin. Thankfully it's feeling a little better #lovelychap

• Going to try and see if it's possible. If not my 400 day run of never missing target will end :(

• Thank you for all your kind wishes.Not sure now if it's a hamstring tear now. Feels like very bad cramp in the back of my thigh

• Follow Martin