Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tommyjj
    refused credit by DFS
    • 22nd Aug 12, 2:28 PM
    refused credit by DFS 22nd Aug 12 at 2:28 PM
    Hi everyone,

I tried to buy a sofa this Sunday at DFS. My girlfriend convinced me to put 350 of it's 699 on their 0% credit and the remainder I paid in cash (debit card).

I've got no history of bad debts but are now self-employed and have lived in 4 addresses in as many years. I'm sure this is part of the reason why today (wednesday) I had a call from DFS saying finance had been refused and asking how I would like to pay for the sofa.

When buying, I asked the salesman specifically whether I could get a full refund in the event that the finance was refused and was told categorically 'yes' in front of myself and 3 other witnesses.

I'm still waiting for him to call me back but having read a load of stuff online about DFS and the way they operate, I am trying to arm myself before he calls.

I wouldn't have purchased the sofa if I'd had to pay the full price up front - the 0% interest offer seemed pretty appealing - so I no longer want it.

Would DFS really go ahead and order the sofa before the finance has been agreed?

I should also add that the salesman told me to lie on the finance application and say that I was still employed at my old company rather than self-employed! I had to call them yesterday to correct it as I realised the seriousness of lying on a form like that.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,691Posts Today

9,400Users online

Martin's Twitter