Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lpgm
    • By lpgm 21st Aug 12, 9:05 PM
    • 200Posts
    • 99Thanks
    lpgm
    My Microsoft Money has stopped getting prices online
    • 21st Aug 12, 9:05 PM
    My Microsoft Money has stopped getting prices online 21st Aug 12 at 9:05 PM
    My Microsoft Money 2003 has stopped getting prices online when I do an update. It reports 'your call was successful' but there are no new prices. It hasn't worked for about a week or two. I can't find anything on the web about it. Has anyone else got this problem?
Page 6
  • Farmcotts
    Help with Microsoft Money
    Like others I have found Microsoft Money has stopped updating shares on the 1st July. I have used the java script solution using ft.com to update prices. I find the update records as a buy on the graphic which is a little distracting. Also I am finding it is doing something peculiar to $ investment values. Any ideas.
  • BentleyBoy
    Money has had problems with $ for some time before the updating problem. It seemed to have stopped applying the current days exchange rate to dollar holdings.
    Google finance just includes them in its lists at dollar prices and values so the total at the bottom of the list is just garbage!

Paul
  • MadLoopy
    Does anyone really think the Microsoft Money share update will return or is it now dead?? It surely cannot cost that much to keep it going.. Really gutted
    • Lakeuk
    • By Lakeuk 8th Jul 13, 11:43 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    Lakeuk
    Does anyone really think the Microsoft Money share update will return or is it now dead?? It surely cannot cost that much to keep it going.. Really gutted
    Originally posted by MadLoopy
    End of the line for MS Money on the online pricing side, still useful as an offline money manager
    • sabretoothtigger
    • By sabretoothtigger 9th Jul 13, 12:54 AM
    • 9,995 Posts
    • 6,598 Thanks
    sabretoothtigger
    Cant another company update it at some price
    Tokyo residential prices have gone from 4x London in 1990 to ľ London in 2014
    Maybe this is one of those cases where you canít go home again,
    by Ben S. Bernanke, former Fed chairman
    • Hippo0
    • By Hippo0 9th Jul 13, 8:11 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Hippo0
    Like others I have found Microsoft Money has stopped updating shares on the 1st July. I have used the java script solution using ft.com to update prices. I find the update records as a buy on the graphic which is a little distracting. Also I am finding it is doing something peculiar to $ investment values. Any ideas.
    Originally posted by Farmcotts
    The app does not appear to be able to handle multiple currencies in one import, and it is assuming all prices are coming in as GBP (which is what I've assumed you've selected). One (cumbersome) way to deal with this is:

1. Set up a different portfolio in ft.com for each currency you have stocks in.

1a. In the java app, set up a different profile for each currency. You need a different currency and ofx account id for each currency, and the best way to deal with this is with profiles, search for "quote profile" on the following page:

http : // code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/Build_20110226_001

2. Set up different equivalent portfolios for each currency in MSMoney. You will be asked to do this the first time you run after an import (below)

3. Export a different csv from ft.com for each portfolio.

4. Before importing each csv, select the appropriate profile.

5. Import the appropriate csv.

6 . Repeat 4. and 5. for each currency.

Please also see the user comments at the end of http : // code.google.com/p/hle-ofx-quotes/wiki/UKUsers

All a bit of a hassle really, but not too bad if doing it just once a day.
  • GKP1
    End of the line for MS Money on the online pricing side, still useful as an offline money manager
    Originally posted by Lakeuk
    Afraid I agree. It's been said before, but I think MS Money is possibly the single most useful piece of software ever written. Microsoft's decision first of all to stop supporting it, and then to throw spanners in the works, is bizarre, incomprensible and perverse.
    Despite the problems updating prices, I shall still use it because I don't think there is another program out there that truly competes with it. I shall update prices manually once a week.
    There is a java program - see earlier posts on this thread - which works for some people. For reasons I don't understand, it doesn't work for me. However, I am a Sharescope subscriber - see http://www.sharescope.co.uk/index.php I have now set up an Excel spreadsheet into which I can import prices automatically by DDE. It works well. For those people happy to pay for a subscription service, I recommend having a look at Sharescope.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 10th Jul 13, 12:14 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Cant another company update it at some price
    Originally posted by sabretoothtigger
    Not without access either to the source code, or to the data file layouts. I tried looking for the latter as I wanted to get some information out of it, and all the information I found was that they did not provide any access to data layouts either directly or via ODBC driver.

My guess is that whatever site they download the updated price information from has now changed format in a way that MS Money does not like, perhaps because of security requirements, or because the site host was upgraded, or whatever - there might be many reasons other than just deliberately stuffing existing users. On that latter point - what would be the gain? It's not as if they're pushing everyone to an updated version. So I suspect there's a technical reason that just breaks access from a program that they haven't supported for more than two years, or sold for more than four years.

What I could see working, especially as someone hinted that the download location is in the registry, would be if someone created an alternate download site which pulled the information from the current MSN site, yet still provided it back to Money in the 'old' style. It wouldn't be a walk in the park as there's probably no documentation on how Money downloads this data, but once you're around that problem it could work. Users would change the registry to point to the "new" site, and that would provide the data.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th Jul 13, 12:35 PM
    • 12,239 Posts
    • 10,776 Thanks
    jimjames
    Afraid I agree. It's been said before, but I think MS Money is possibly the single most useful piece of software ever written. Microsoft's decision first of all to stop supporting it, and then to throw spanners in the works, is bizarre, incomprensible and perverse.
    Originally posted by GKP1
    While I completely agree that MS Money is an exceptionally useful piece of software I can understand why MS have stopped selling or supporting it. I was still using Money 2000 until recently and saw no need to upgrade. If everyone was the same then their sales must have been small each year. Maybe moving to a subscription model would have been viable but how much would people be prepared to pay for daily updates of prices as well as any patches when prices are available online for free.

I'd have been interested in that kind of subscription model but I guess MS did look at options before stopping completely.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • GKP1
    While I completely agree that MS Money is an exceptionally useful piece of software I can understand why MS have stopped selling or supporting it. I was still using Money 2000 until recently and saw no need to upgrade. If everyone was the same then their sales must have been small each year. Maybe moving to a subscription model would have been viable but how much would people be prepared to pay for daily updates of prices as well as any patches when prices are available online for free.

I'd have been interested in that kind of subscription model but I guess MS did look at options before stopping completely.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    I wonder if they were really aware of the fact that people might be prepared to pay a subscription.
  • rannydoscoe
    Well, I only stumbled across this thread after my share prices stopped updating.

In fact, I had been updating fund prices manually since last August when they "stopped updating". After reading this thread it turns out they can still be updated on-line after changing the fund code! So thanks for the info, they are now downloading as they did in the old days.

I wouldn't give up hope on this just yet, it may be just a temporary glitch or change of server etc, as with the funds. I hope so anyway!
  • SteveC67
    It may be possible to reverse engineer the web server that provides the quote service, then change the URL to a replacement service that links to ft.com (or anywhere else).

I had a quick look at the messages sent to the quote server using Wireshark and can see the symbol list being sent to the quote server, but there's a *lot* of other raw data in the request and responses that needs decoding.

After a quick look, it also appears that any new symbols added invoke a download of historical weekly price data.

Based on what I can see, this is a huge task. I have no idea if any part of the data or quotes are encrypted, nor of the format.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 11th Jul 13, 11:15 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Based on what I can see, this is a huge task. I have no idea if any part of the data or quotes are encrypted, nor of the format.
    Originally posted by SteveC67
    That's exactly the problem - it would need a combination of people who (a) know how to decode stuff like that, and (b) use the feature enough to devote the time to it. I would think that if you can 'see' the symbols in the transfer, they're probably not encoded. But maybe that's why the service no longer works, with the current obsession for data security - perhaps the site operators now only offer than data in encrypted format for whatever applications they do still support.

And, of course, while you can see what is sent to the server from Money, you now don't have a way to see what the server would have sent back, so very difficult to figure out how to respond to it. As it's a separate DLL, perhaps it might be easier to replace it with one that queries elsewhere and (somehow) shoe-horns it back into the Money data file. But without information on that format, probably also very difficult.
  • SteveC67
    That's exactly the problem - it would need a combination of people who (a) know how to decode stuff like that, and (b) use the feature enough to devote the time to it. I would think that if you can 'see' the symbols in the transfer, they're probably not encoded. But maybe that's why the service no longer works, with the current obsession for data security - perhaps the site operators now only offer than data in encrypted format for whatever applications they do still support.

And, of course, while you can see what is sent to the server from Money, you now don't have a way to see what the server would have sent back, so very difficult to figure out how to respond to it. As it's a separate DLL, perhaps it might be easier to replace it with one that queries elsewhere and (somehow) shoe-horns it back into the Money data file. But without information on that format, probably also very difficult.
    Originally posted by droopsnoot
    I still see a response from the quote server - a TCP stream, however, it appears that the quote data it is returning for shares is just out of date. Apart from the symbol names being listed as"/GB:BARC," etc, the rest of the data isn't obvious.

I have reverse engineered a proprietary ftp protocol in the past running concurrently over 30 ISDN channels so have had some experience in this area, however, it did take around 3-4 months full time with a protocol analyser and a lot of head scratching ... Oh, AND I was getting paid contract rates for it

If I had nothing better to do, it'd be an interesting challenge! 90% of the effort will be decoding the protocol - from the HTTP query to the TCP stream returned. Once that's understood, it would be relatively easy to create the same format after querying (say ft.com) for quotes.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 11th Jul 13, 6:37 PM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    PM sent to you earlier on this.
  • MadLoopy
    This is all very interesting but unit trusts are still updating ok. It really probably is a tweak or something. I am wondering if the US version of MS money 2008 would auto update prices??
  • planter02
    Microsoft Money hav turned off on July 1st 2013 the servers that provided live share updates and although there are some clever remedies none are simple. There are no comparable programs to money that I can find. The banking side works fine to manually download statements but portfolio management is very difficult unless you update share prices manually. This is time consuming but effective although I have yet to try it. Anyone with a patch to sort the program out could make some decent money.
    • robinsh
    • By robinsh 31st Jul 13, 6:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    robinsh
    Ask Microsoft
    Has anybody asked Microsoft why Money has stopped updating - and what they might do to help us?
  • canary2211
    Good way to record regular investments into funds?
    Whilst we are on the subject, I wonder if anyone might have a good way to record regular monthly savings into a small portfolio of funds (in MS Money 2005). Presently I have just ordinary Asset Accounts set up and then update values manually from my broker's summaries.

But I then run a separate Excel to review long term rates of return etc. MS Money doesnt seem to be able to do that?

Perhaps I want something that MS Money cant do: but I would be interested to hear what other users do. The end of online price updates is a shame - but I didnt really use them so I won't miss them!!!
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 23rd Aug 13, 6:42 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    Vortigern
    No longer updating UT/OEIC prices. Last update was 20 August.
    I wonder if Microsoft will find some way to disable its other features and stop it working offline?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

248Posts Today

1,353Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin