My Microsoft Money has stopped getting prices online

Comments

• Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,234
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I've now upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2005. File converted OK. Thanks given to jimjames for the link to Money 2005 and to oldfella and lgpm for the advice on updating the tickers.
  • Further to upgrading from 2002 to 2005, I've had some problems I thought people might like to know about:

1. I found some closed accounts had been assigned the currency Algerian Dinar (DZD), which is top of the currency list. It's easy enough to change back to GBP without converting the amounts (default option) in account settings.

2. I had an income category called 'Pension', but it wouldn't let me manually assign it to a transaction (automated ones were OK). It seems the problem was that there is a default expense category of the same name in 2005, even though it wasn't 'installed'. I renamed my category to 'Pension Income' and all is OK.

3. In Settings > Categories, don't be tempted to press the button marked 'Show Full Category List', because it does what the similarly placed, but correctly labelled, button does in 2002 - installs all the default categories. Unless that's what you want, of course!
  • Thanks for all the information.
    Google did a great job to find this forum. I have been using Money 2000 for many years and now that the share updates have ended. I downloaded Money 2005.
    One item that did not work in 2005 was "net worth over time" from the report menu.
    I found a way around the problem for anyone who might be interested.
    1. From the home page. On the far-left column select "Monthly report".
    2. Scroll down to "Your net worth". To the right of the net worth columns select "More…"
    3. On the left column select "Add to my favourite reports".
    4. The "Add to favourites" window will appear. Click ok.
    5. From the home page select reports.
    6. Select the report you have saved.
    7. From the date range select "All to date".
    8. Select "Customise…" from the left column.
    9. Select "Date" put the start date you require in the box and click ok.
    10. Using "Shortcuts…" add it to the displayed list.
  • Vortigern wrote: »
    I've now upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2005. File converted OK.
    That is a good sign, but the reason I have stuck to 2002 is that it is the last version that had the Small Business extensions. Am I correct in guessing that 2005 doesn't do invoicing (in and out)? What about VAT?

Money was probably the best thing that Microsoft did, and there is no other product that even came near. Daft to kill it!
  • Hippo0
    Hippo0 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Please ignore, posted in error.
  • swift1_2
    swift1_2 Posts: 130
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Good to see a thread on one of microsoft's fantastic products, I use it all the time, would be lost without it. I feel like a dinosaur that has found some fellow dinosaurs. I'm using Money 2002, didn't know about the 2005 version, have downloaded it, but will need to try out in another machine to make sure its ok and is actually better than previous version.

Why is there no other product that has come to fill this market, Intuit used to do Quicken which was very good.
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,234
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    hairydog wrote: »
    ... the reason I have stuck to 2002 is that it is the last version that had the Small Business extensions. Am I correct in guessing that 2005 doesn't do invoicing (in and out)? What about VAT?
    I can't see any reference to VAT or invoicing in Money2005.
  • GKP1
    GKP1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    L1011 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the information.
    Google did a great job to find this forum. I have been using Money 2000 for many years and now that the share updates have ended. I downloaded Money 2005.
    One item that did not work in 2005 was "net worth over time" from the report menu.
    I found a way around the problem for anyone who might be interested.
    1. From the home page. On the far-left column select "Monthly report".
    2. Scroll down to "Your net worth". To the right of the net worth columns select "More…"
    3. On the left column select "Add to my favourite reports".
    4. The "Add to favourites" window will appear. Click ok.
    5. From the home page select reports.
    6. Select the report you have saved.
    7. From the date range select "All to date".
    8. Select "Customise…" from the left column.
    9. Select "Date" put the start date you require in the box and click ok.
    10. Using "Shortcuts…" add it to the displayed list.
    Thanks for posting this fix. The lack of a Net Worth over Time report was one of the things that bugged me about this version of Money :beer:
  • Fund prices stopped downloading in August for me. Now changed computers and gone from XP to Windows 8. Downloaded the new UK version of Money. Then noticed a share price was still updating (sold them a couple of years ago!). Checked the ISIN numbers for the funds and the final check digit was missing. ISIN number should be GB (for UK) followed by ten figures. Funds are now updating.
  • GKP1
    GKP1 Posts: 30 Forumite
    I'm getting a feeling of deja vu here - Money 2005 is not updating share prices today! I am praying it's a temporary problem with MSN prices, but this is how it started with earlier versions of Money.
    Anyone else seeing this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport