Free "Delivery to neighbour opt out form"

Comments

• You have to stick a sticker on your front door though! I don't know what the sticker says in actual words, but it basically says, "Dear neighbours, you are thieves". I don't know what to do. I DO think they are thieves, but I don't want them to know that I think that :rotfl:
    "Most of the people ... were unhappy... Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy." -- Douglas Adams
  • joaniemerc
    joaniemerc Posts: 615 Forumite
    I've opted to opt out. I've got two daughters who are forever ordering stuff online and it ends up next door. We can tell they are getting fed up - so DDs will just have to be up early on a Saturday morning to get themselves to the sorting office to collect;)
  • joaniemerc
    joaniemerc Posts: 615 Forumite
    SevenCL wrote: »
    having to turn my front door into a billboard.

You won't like my "No Junk" "No Menus" sticker then!:D
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,787
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I can see from the replies that people are not so friendly with their neighbours. I am sick off work at the moment and am forever accepting post and parcels for neighbours. I have no problem with it and they all get it in the same condition as what it was delivered. Far better than having to drive somewhere that you can not park at between the same hours that you were at work for in the first place.
  • Our area was trialling this and everytime i was out and a package came it was never left with a neighbour it was always sent back to the sorting office
    CashBack earned to date - £1244-58
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,072
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I am with mrcol1000 on this

I live in a pleasant and friendly area and frequently take items in for neighbours who are at work, why not help out if you can instead of whinging on about privacy, defacing your door etc, for Heavens sake let us get some sensible perspective on this
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,072
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Our area was trialling this and everytime i was out and a package came it was never left with a neighbour it was always sent back to the sorting office

Maybe the neighbours were out as well?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • violetta
    violetta Posts: 2,624
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    SevenCL wrote: »
    Plus, this hasn't even been advertised. I didn't get any letter from Royal Mail saying this is happening and I doubt I will when it does. So a lot of people aren't even going to know they HAVE to opt out until the first time they find their package has been left with a stranger!

We got a single sheet flyer the other day explaining this initiative, along with all the other junk mail bumpf the postie delivers, so it would be easy to miss stuck to all the other leaflets that just go straight in the paper recycling pile. I only saw it by chance.
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • BigAl99
    BigAl99 Posts: 40 Forumite
    edited 21 August 2012 at 2:16PM
    Farway wrote: »
    I am with mrcol1000 on this

I live in a pleasant and friendly area and frequently take items in for neighbours who are at work, why not help out if you can instead of whinging on about privacy, defacing your door etc, for Heavens sake let us get some sensible perspective on this

Not everybody lives in a "pleasant and friendly area". All I can say is "how nice for you".

But the main points are that:
    (a) Royal Mail are passing private mail to persons unknown in order to complete their delivery, and are thus no longer guaranteeing said delivery,
    (b) you have to publicly declare that you do not like this with a prominently displayed opt-out sticker, which could potentially offend those neighbours,
    (c) you have no other choice other than to "ensure" that everything is delivered via another (possibly more expensive and less "available") carrier,
    (d) the whole thing is justified by a "90% satisfaction" statistic which is clearly not being confirmed by the thread responses here thus far

And I agree with the recent poster who nearly threw out the important notice about this with all the other "unread junk mail". I nearly did that too.

Is that enough perspective for you?

If not, then consider this:
    Privacy is something you don't realise you have lost until something really bad or embarrassing happens: be that identity theft, stolen bank information, and, as Julian Assange demonstrated so well, private conversations or opinions made public. The real danger today is that loss of privacy is occurring insidiously by small degrees, and you may not realise just how much you have already lost.
  • purple.sarah
    purple.sarah Posts: 2,517
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 21 August 2012 at 2:36PM
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    I can see from the replies that people are not so friendly with their neighbours. I am sick off work at the moment and am forever accepting post and parcels for neighbours. I have no problem with it and they all get it in the same condition as what it was delivered. Far better than having to drive somewhere that you can not park at between the same hours that you were at work for in the first place.

It's not that I don't like my neighbours, I don't know them very well since I've just moved in but they seem ok. I'm opting out because they are elderly and I don't want them to be bothered. It's nice you don't mind "forever accepting post and parcels for neighbours" but I would be mortified if someone who was off sick had to deal with my deliveries, I can get quite a lot as I apply for freebies and enter comps. I hope my neighbours aren't offended if they see the sign but I don't think they look that closely at my door!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure