Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • older_wiser
    • By older_wiser 21st Aug 12, 11:07 AM
    • 2,063Posts
    • 3,503Thanks
    older_wiser
    New Luma credit card ?
    • 21st Aug 12, 11:07 AM
    New Luma credit card ? 21st Aug 12 at 11:07 AM
    another credit building card available its managed by capital one but i assume thats just the online bit. I don't intend to apply but thought i'd mention it i haven't seen any posts regarding this before.
Page 1
    • guesswho2000
    • By guesswho2000 21st Aug 12, 2:27 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    guesswho2000
    • 21st Aug 12, 2:27 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 2:27 PM
    Quite a nice looking card too for a credit builder, almost worth applying for on that basis...ok maybe not, but the 0% purchase offer is a bonus for those with a less than spotless credit history.
  • Pedropunto
    • 21st Aug 12, 3:05 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 3:05 PM
    I have just applied for one of these cards and been accepted but then they have told me that before i recieve my card and pin with a £200 credit limit i have to pay them £50,now that wasnt in the agreement when i electrnically signed for it online.
    • older_wiser
    • By older_wiser 21st Aug 12, 4:21 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 3,503 Thanks
    older_wiser
    • 21st Aug 12, 4:21 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 4:21 PM
    I'd be wary of paying anything to get a credit card i know capital one have a secured credit card where you do have to pay something usually between 49-200 pounds to get the card. Luma is something new and hardly anyone has mentioned it i only noticed as i subscribe to the lovemoney newsletter where it was mentioned.
    • fozmcfc
    • By fozmcfc 21st Aug 12, 5:38 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    fozmcfc
    • 21st Aug 12, 5:38 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 5:38 PM
    I have just applied for one of these cards and been accepted but then they have told me that before i recieve my card and pin with a £200 credit limit i have to pay them £50,now that wasnt in the agreement when i electrnically signed for it online.
    Originally posted by Pedropunto
    That's not unheard of, seen a good few people post on here about it. It normally means the person applying has either really bad credit or absolutely no credit history.

It minimises their loss, when they take a risk on someone who is borderline accept/refuse.
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 21st Aug 12, 6:22 PM
    • 2,618 Posts
    • 1,646 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 21st Aug 12, 6:22 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 6:22 PM
    I'd be wary of paying anything to get a credit card i know capital one have a secured credit card where you do have to pay something usually between 49-200 pounds to get the card. Luma is something new and hardly anyone has mentioned it i only noticed as i subscribe to the lovemoney newsletter where it was mentioned.
    Originally posted by older_wiser
    It's a rebranded Capital One card.

The company behind it, MI Money, also offer Granite, which is rebranded Vanquis card.
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 21st Aug 12, 6:46 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    RichL74
    • 21st Aug 12, 6:46 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 6:46 PM
    Another one I cant apply for seeing as I ran into difficulty with Captial One in the past.
    • billbennett
    • By billbennett 21st Aug 12, 9:17 PM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 1,612 Thanks
    billbennett
    • 21st Aug 12, 9:17 PM
    • 21st Aug 12, 9:17 PM
    The company behind it, MI Money, also offer Granite, which is rebranded Vanquis card.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    In the same way that they offer Fluid, which is a rebranded MBNA?
    In "Monopoly", what makes the "Super Tax" so super?
  • Demonseed
    • 23rd Aug 12, 10:48 AM
    • 23rd Aug 12, 10:48 AM
    Another one I cant apply for seeing as I ran into difficulty with Captial One in the past.
    Originally posted by RichL74
    isnt it the same setup as Aquacard and Halifax where they are in partnership with a different company?
    I was able to get credit with Aqua even though I had difficulties with Halifax bank
    Im posing this question as well because I would like the Luna card but not in particlarly good standing with Capital one

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Much Appreciated
  • joeyda1
    thats because you have applied for a secured credit card you have to pay a deposit of £49 or £200 you must have been declined for a classic card and approved for a secure card
  • joeyda1
    That's not unheard of, seen a good few people post on here about it. It normally means the person applying has either really bad credit or absolutely no credit history.

It minimises their loss, when they take a risk on someone who is borderline accept/refuse.
    Originally posted by fozmcfc
    thats because you have applied for a secured credit card you have to pay a deposit of £49 or £200 you must have been declined for a classic card and approved for a secure card
    • simax
    • By simax 25th Aug 12, 8:21 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    simax
    How long ago? If its been more than 6 years give it a go. Loads of people on here have applied to Crapital One even though they'd defaulted with them many years previously and have been accepted.
    I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 25th Aug 12, 10:00 AM
    • 733 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    RichL74
    I was wondering how it worked, it was over 6 years ago yeah, but I also think some of these people blacklist you for life - a bit like Singlepoint / Phones 4u, but thats a different story.
    • simax
    • By simax 25th Aug 12, 11:06 AM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    simax
    Some do, CapOne certainly don't.
    I say it as it is - you may not like that but what would you prefer? A string of false platitudes that are no help whatsoever just to make you feel better? If my advice has helped, please press the Thanks button over here ----------------V. Cheers
    • jasonwatkins
    • By jasonwatkins 25th Aug 12, 11:49 AM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    jasonwatkins
    The site seems to be getting some attention at the moment as the applications area is down ..
  • bsisonu
    Some do, CapOne certainly don't.
    Originally posted by simax
    great simax.
    • jasonwatkins
    • By jasonwatkins 25th Aug 12, 12:16 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    jasonwatkins
    just applied over the phone and got a 'no decision' which likely means a rejection. oh well ..
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 25th Aug 12, 12:22 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    RichL74
    That's about as helpful to you as a poke in the eye isn't it?!
  • debrag
    I had them on my DRO (2009-10) but just got a Secure card with them.
    Last edited by debrag; 25-08-2012 at 4:40 PM.
    Debts:
    c3 = £639 ; c4 = £458 TOTAL = 1097
    Defaults = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12!
    • RichL74
    • By RichL74 25th Aug 12, 4:47 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    RichL74
    Thanks - I am hoping to hear that my application with Nationwide was successful anyway.

It all passed online but you never know, but if it's all gone through I don't need to worry about it.
    Last edited by RichL74; 25-08-2012 at 4:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

344Posts Today

1,997Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RichardJLloyd: Thanks Martin. One of the best things of the last 5 years was campaigning for consumers alongside you. See you soon. htt?

• The new personal savings allowance - here's how it works... https://t.co/mW8Lc6cXZ2

• Just heard @RichardJLloyd is stepping down as Exec Director of Which? He's been a brilliant ambassador for them, shame for the organisation

• Follow Martin