Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Health & Beauty MoneySaving > How many months supply is a standard NHS Prescrip... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How many months supply is a standard NHS Prescription?
Closed Thread
Views: 2,309
# 1
MoaningMyrtle
Old 20-08-2012, 1:06 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How many months supply is a standard NHS Prescription?

As above, I thought it was three months but was prescribed two months by my GP? (Its the second prescription of blood pressure tablets BTW)
A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
# 2
browneyedbazzi
Old 20-08-2012, 1:15 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've never had blood pressure tablets but in my experience the quantity you get prescribed depends a lot on what the medication is, how long before a med review is due and how long they expect you to need that medication at that particular dose. I've had some things where I was only given a week or two at a time and had to go back and speak to the doctor each time before getting a repeat and other things they happily give six months at a time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browneyedbazzi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Tiggy Wiggy
Old 20-08-2012, 1:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I only ever get one months supply of my migraine and IBS medication, so you are very lucky to get 2 months.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tiggy Wiggy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
mugwump
Old 20-08-2012, 1:28 PM

It's up to the GP and the guidance from their PCT. Mine only allows one month for items on long term repeat E.G. Blood pressure, Statins etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mugwump For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
lionheartedgirl
Old 20-08-2012, 1:30 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i get 3 months worth of 2 inhalers, the other lasts barely a month each time. 6 months of the pill at a time.

it's different by area, had a real fight when I moved to my last doctors to get them to give me more than one of each inhaler at a time
The Following User Says Thank You to lionheartedgirl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
carolpinkdreamer
Old 20-08-2012, 1:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think it is entirely up to the GP's discretion.

If you GP only prescribes one month's worth, and you are on more than one medication, you might want to consider buying a pre-payment certificate. I have several medicines and used to worry about affording to get them dispensed. I now pay 10.40 per month by DD and it covers all prescriptions.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to carolpinkdreamer For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Torry Quine
Old 20-08-2012, 2:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

As others have said it depends on the medicine and the GP. Some of my medicines I get one month supply, others two months.
"For a child is born to us,a son is given to us.
The government will rest on his shoulders.
And he will be called:
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry Quine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
gravitytolls
Old 20-08-2012, 2:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ours used to give two months, but recently changed to monthly following instruction from the PCT, following instruction from the department of health, who desire all GP's to only prescribe monthly prescriptions.... I wonder why that could be?
I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gravitytolls For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
j.e.j.
Old 20-08-2012, 2:40 PM

When the current lot got in, there was a big hoo-ha about them introducing changes which would mean that GPs have to manage their own budgets. Would this be affecting how many months prescription a patient can get?
The Following User Says Thank You to j.e.j. For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
MoaningMyrtle
Old 20-08-2012, 2:45 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks everyone, might be worthwhile going down the monthly DD route as I get a psoriasis cream occasionally.

one life, live it!
# 11
mugwump
Old 20-08-2012, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.e.j. View Post
When the current lot got in, there was a big hoo-ha about them introducing changes which would mean that GPs have to manage their own budgets. Would this be affecting how many months prescription a patient can get?
I don't think so, My GP has only done a month for the 6 years that I have been with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mugwump For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
MoaningMyrtle
Old 20-08-2012, 2:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Interesting information here, the amount should be standardised across the UK surely?

one life, live it!
The Following User Says Thank You to MoaningMyrtle For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
I wanna live for free
Old 20-08-2012, 2:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mine used to be 6-monthly but it's been changed to monthly as "we want to monitor and maybe change your medicines" but nothing has been changed the last 6 times I've been back.

It's annoying as I have to take time off every time I need a GP appointment whereas I could pop to the pharmacy in my lunch break to collect it. And as my doctor's surgery closes between 12-2 I can't make an appointment in my lunch break either.
The Following User Says Thank You to I wanna live for free For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
pmduk
Old 20-08-2012, 5:52 PM

Most of my meds are for long term chronic conditions and I get either 2 or 3 months at a time. It tends to be 2 months for those on repeat and 3 for those that I need to see the GP for. They seem to weigh up the cost of the drugs against the non-availability of appointments.
# 15
pattycake
Old 20-08-2012, 6:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I am hypothyroid so I need life long medication. I used to get two month's meds at a time but it has now changed to only one month. Totally stupid as I will always need the thyroxine.

My husband works abroad so the surgery have agreed that he can get two month's prescription at a time as it is difficult to manage his visits and the need for meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to pattycake For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Humphrey10
Old 20-08-2012, 6:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My current doctor's surgery only prescribes 1 month at a time (or one box/packet if that is more than a month's supply). They say it is to save money, but I don't pay for my prescriptions so it's just increasing the admin work and therefore cost for the NHS. It's very odd.
# 17
ceh209
Old 20-08-2012, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Does frequency change when you don't have to pay? The cynic in me thinks maybe it does.
Possibly. I get 6 months for the contraceptive pill (free), 1 month of IBS meds and 2 months of anti-d's.
Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
# 18
mustmakealist
Old 20-08-2012, 8:31 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It is also to do with trying to cut down waste when medicines are changed or not used regulary and this can't always be predicted.

I know that most people do use all of their medicines, but if someone doesn't use it all or asks for it every month even if they haven't taken it regularly then it gets wasted.

A lot of pharmacies will arrange to collect prescriptions from the GP if you can't get there easily yourself. It might be worth asking your regular pharmacy to do this for you.
I need to make a new list for 2014
think of something to put on it!
Try harder for 2014 as I never managed it in 2012 or 2013
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustmakealist For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Philippa36
Old 20-08-2012, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycake View Post
I am hypothyroid so I need life long medication. I used to get two month's meds at a time but it has now changed to only one month. Totally stupid as I will always need the thyroxine.

My husband works abroad so the surgery have agreed that he can get two month's prescription at a time as it is difficult to manage his visits and the need for meds.
As you need your thyroxine for life you should get it free. Ask your GP for an exemption certificate - you need to fill in most of it and your GP signs to say its correct.

For those who only get 1 month, speak to your GP to see if they'll change it to 2 due to cost. I doubt you'll get more than 2 months but it all helps.
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
Kurt Vonnegut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philippa36 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
LilMissEmmylou
Old 20-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We dont pay for our prescriptions in N.Ireland - I work in a pharmacy and regularly see scripts for 1 month or 2 months (equally some things will be for 2 or 3 weeks and others for 3 or 6 months).

It really is down to the individual GP's discression and not down to making money from those being prescribed the medication (as they dont make anything in N.Ireland with the exception of private prescriptions).
No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2014
UU - 7 In - 18 GA - 25

Closed Thread