Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 10th Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    • 4,075Posts
    • 47,807Thanks
    Jazee
    Jazee's Diary
    • 10th Aug 12, 5:14 PM
    Jazee's Diary 10th Aug 12 at 5:14 PM
    Hello to anyone who decides to read my diary.

I'm starting this diary as I want to collect my thoughts in one place. I have unsuccessfully put posts on some other threads, and some have disappeared, so I assume that I've broken some rule or other and think that here I can't break my own rules.

I have been in debt since 1997, so that's 15 years and the usual nothing to show for it. I have been a long term lurker on MSE but have only started posting, mainly on the flylady thread, quite recently.

Thanks to this site, my debts are manageable and my days of pawning items and pay day loans are long over. My debt free date is March 2015.

I have tried and failed at some of the challenges: £1 a day pot, really successful for two years, but now I'm not really keeping any cash in the house and am trying for as many NSDs as possible, it doesn't really work.

Which brings me to NSDs. Spectacular failure most days. Must try harder.

Off to do tea now, will carry on another time and work out a plan of action to bring forward that date.
    Last edited by Jazee; 13-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) November £781.81 Total £11814.84/£12000

Page 32
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 22nd Apr 17, 10:06 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning HB, I hope the seeds work for you. I've grown far too many tomato plants again this year. I have loads of other spare seeds, if you want them let me know.

I have to admit to feeling very sorry for myself this morning. My back is still really hurting (not moving plant pots, just putting washing on the airer) and it took me 20 minutes to walk round the block with the dogs which is usually 5-10 minutes depending on how much sniffing they need to do.

This afternoon is bowls, but I'll just go along for the company, not to play. DH is on a late shift.

I'm just so frustrated at not being able to do all the things and days out I'd planned for this last week. I'm not back at work till 3rd May so am hoping that I can do more next week.

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 23rd Apr 17, 12:44 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    I'm taking it fairly easy again today. I slept in until 7.45 which is rare for me, the dogs were happy to sleep in too.

So far today, I have put curry in the slow cooker for tea tonight, WUDUPA dishes (some from last night too), taken the dogs for a slow walk round the block, sorted out rubbish, recycling and compost, changed the bedding which is now in the WM and have done the ironing sitting down.

I am tempted to do more but don't want to push my back while it still aches, so will just do my nails again and watch a film later.

Hoping for a NSD.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 23rd Apr 17, 2:21 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    That's a very kind offer Jazee, thank you. I've decided that this year I really must use up the seeds I've already got - rather a lot of herbs, a few flowering wild things and a great many packets that are already open! I also bought five tiny tomato plug-sized plants just in case your seeds don't germinate because I've stored them badly, so I'm probably okay for the time being. I know a few the plants in the bigger pots haven't done well over the winter so they'll need redoing, but I think I've got honeysuckles to go in them if I can bring them on quickly enough. I've just read today that some blueberries are self-fertile - I hope the one we've got is because it had a mass of flowers and it's very poor companion bought late last year has snuffed it. I'll check later.

I'm really hoping your back is going to let up so you can get on with what you want to do. Incredibly frustrating when you've got a little listy you want to work through and you just can't. Having to lift Kelpie in and out of the car each week for his hydrotherapy means mine can be a bit dodgy but I've discovered that if I nip any pain in the bud with ibuprofen it doesn't develop into anything that worries me.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 28th Apr 17, 10:29 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning diary. Finally, my back pain is easing off, hoorah.

Yesterday, DH and I had our 'final' splurge before knuckling down to managing on the minimum amount possible as we don't know what is going to happen with my job or if our income will drop dramatically.

This morning I have done the finances, made sure to keep our savings on target for now, and have just £185 left to last for 13 days. However, we both have enough petrol, there are two freezers full of food and other planned spends are minimal.

DH says he's giving up drinking again to give his drugs a chance to work, but we shall see.

Today, I will take the dogs for a walk, make a birthday card for my niece (I'm going to regift a £10 shopping voucher) and sort out some stuff for a charity bag.

I will also be watching the Tour de Yorkshire on the tellybox.

Lessons learned this week:

Do not do an online shop with Mr M again.
    Insurance companies are there to rip you off and work in colusion (sp?) with each other.

Today won't be a NSD as I'm going out tonight but hoping to keep spends to around £5.

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 29th Apr 17, 7:56 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    So yesterday I spent £4 but came home with a shrub for the garden. DH spent £12 on wine and £10 on a takeaway. He needs his LBM.

Just planning our menu for the week from the freezer.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 30th Apr 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Glad to hear your back's a bit better, but sorry about your OH succumbing. It's a tough one to crack, that.

I bet the shrub looks fab.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 01-05-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Keeping it AF
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 30th Apr 17, 3:22 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    rjwr
    I've enjoyed reading your diary. It is encouraging, also the cooking tips are great
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 30th Apr 17, 4:44 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Yesterday I spent the princely sum of £1 on my afternoon out. DH on the other hand spent over £20 on wine. Most of which he spilt down the wall and has had to redecorate today.

Today I have spent £2, but come home with a box of fresh eggs.

Our overspend for the month was £2353.18 because of having to buy the car. Need to really reign things in now.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th May 17, 11:52 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    How's the work situation, Jazee? I couldn't quite work out if you were defintely going to have to job hunt, or whether there was the possibility of just changing roles in your current organisation.
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 13th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning HB, sorry for delay in replying. I no longer have the role I did do for the company but they're trying to find me something else. I think the job hunting takes more time than an actual job!

So that's what I've been busy doing this week, the worse that can happen is that I leave the company after 22 years but onwards and upwards.

Pay day this week, I've only saved £5 so far this month. Seem to have DH on board to actually keep to his budget this time, we will see. Big expenses coming up in June, car insurance and Poppet needs to be spayed.

Today I am going to clean the cars, go to bowls and for a run in the evening. Once I have done the 10k I am not running again.

I hope that anyone reading has a great weekend.

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 28th May 17, 10:29 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning diary and anyone reading. A couple of weeks then since I last posted.

Job wise, nothing permanent but I have a temporary assignment that will take me into early July and possibly another one after that.

Savings - have now squirrelled £111 this month.

Budgets currently intact.

• Jazee
    • By Jazee 9th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    I really thought I had posted in this diary at least once during June but obviously not. Unless the thread got hit by the phantom deleter.

So I have now finished my first assignment at the paid stuff and am into my second one which takes me to mid August.

Life is pretty good and I'm looking forward to going on holiday.

Today I will do gardening and go to the local school fayre.

Budgets intact (actually very good last month) but savings not quite where they should be but I have a bonus due in August which should mean I catch up with my target.

Got some really good bargains in f@rmf00ds yesterday even though I forgot to take the money off voucher with me. Tins of tuna working out at 66p each and C0rnettos at 21p each, amongst other stuff. All three freezers are now full including with produce from the garden.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Good to see you posting again Jazee and sounding so positive. (Wish I could add more but my brain has ceased functioning.)
    Keeping it AF
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 11th Jul 17, 7:48 AM
    • 2,243 Posts
    • 33,592 Thanks
    ionafan
    Hi Jazee

Just caught up with your thread - glad things have settled down for you and that life is "pretty good". I think that's all that most of us can ever hope for!

xx
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Thanks HB and Iona for reading and commenting.

Life is still pretty good. I'm off the paid stuff now for a week or so, but found out yesterday that I've got assignments to take me right into September so that's good.

In family news, we're now planning two weddings, not just the one so that is very exciting if a little scary.

In MSE news I'm managing to squirrel a little something to the savings pots most day.

To anyone following, have a great day.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 15th Jul 17, 8:44 AM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    That sounds much more positive than the position you were in when you started your diary, Jazee. I'm so glad the work situation isn't as dire as you first feared, and that you've got enough to tide you over to September.

Two weddings to look forward to, and managing to put something by for a rainy day - result!
    Keeping it AF
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 4th Nov 17, 1:53 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 47,807 Thanks
    Jazee
    Wow, almost four months since I last posted.

I now have worked booked in till at least the beginning of March so that is reassuring. I'm also earning about 5% more than I was so am able to save even more than I expected to. The work I'm doing is really good too, it's just the daily commute I don't like. One trip home took 2 3/4 hours when it should be 1 hr.

Wedding planning is going well. DD is panicking as not everything is running as smoothly as she would like. I have spent this morning sewing some detail on to a bridesmaid dress. Whether it will pass her inspection is another matter.

The doggies are doing great. Poppet was scared of the fireworks last night and sat on the settee shaking. So LittleyDog went over and laid on top of her for the evening which settled her down. They're amazing animals aren't they?

I have a new mobile contract (super MSE £3.50 per month) so need to let everyone know my new number. That's a job for later once I've washed the lunch dishes.

I hope anyone reading is having a great day.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 5th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    • 4,628 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    That sounds as though you're back in a much calmer, happier place, Jazee. So glad to hear that the work situation isn't the wipeout you thought it might be.
    Keeping it AF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,761Users online

Martin's Twitter