Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Vauxhall dealer 60+ for a new car key!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vauxhall dealer 60+ for a new car key!!
Closed Thread
Views: 92,977
# 1
cordial
Old 26-03-2007, 3:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Vauxhall dealer 60+ for a new car key!!

Because Vauxhall keys have an engine immobiliser chip in the black plastic section, the dealerships seem to be on to a nice little earner if you want a replacement key cut.

My local dealer has just quoted me over 60 for a combination of 'sending away for the codes' (because I bought it second hand and haven't got them) and the actual cutting.

I find this outrageous.

Does anyone know a way round it?
# 2
Idiophreak
Old 26-03-2007, 3:21 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

When I bought my Astra, the salesman said to me "it's really expensive to replace the key, so don't lose it. So I haven't.

Yeah, it's a lot of money, but I don't think it's any great secret that it's how much they cost...
The Following User Says Thank You to Idiophreak For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ckerrd
Old 26-03-2007, 3:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

happened when we lost one key for our Scenic - £60 sounds about right.
You tend not to lose them again
We all evolve - get on with it
The Following User Says Thank You to ckerrd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cajef
Old 26-03-2007, 3:29 PM

£60 sound reasonable, cost me £80 for my Honda 2 years ago.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
The Following User Says Thank You to cajef For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Hermione54
Old 26-03-2007, 4:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

£60 is in fact low, especially as you don't have the codes. The highest I heard of was £175. Makes you careful about looking after the keys!
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermione54 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
vansboy
Old 26-03-2007, 4:31 PM

Good job you've not got a Fiat then!!

Around 10times that amount to sort a problem there!!

VB
I HATE wasting money but I LOVE saving it !!
# 7
nullogik
Old 26-03-2007, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In fact What Car? Magazine did a recent article on this. Taking some random cars they found replacement keys cost around £60-£175.
Lack of money is the root of all evil.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
The Following User Says Thank You to nullogik For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
cordial
Old 26-03-2007, 4:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Well, I confess I'm amazed at all the complacent comments.

I find £60 for a key totally disproportionate - if it DID actually prevent car theft outright that would be something but we all know that most crooks have their ways of getting round it.

This would only have been for the convenience and security of having a 'spare'. In the circumstances I shall be foregoing the privilege and I can easily imagine how many regard this as having to pay a ransom, in effect, if they ever DO lose their key.
# 9
nej
Old 26-03-2007, 5:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I was quoted about £35 to replace the battery in a keyfob by VW. I did it myself by buying the battery elsewhere (under £1), and it took all of 20 seconds to do the job.

So £60 doesn't sound too bad! Especially when dealers charge about £100 per hour for labour these days.
# 10
nej
Old 26-03-2007, 5:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As another point, try a key-cutting place. My dry-cleaner can program keys for cars, might be worth a shop around.
# 11
natanddan1
Old 26-03-2007, 6:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I had a damaged bmw key that i got a replacement for from an internet company for around 30 delivered. I cannot remember the name but will let you know if i come across it. Alternatively, try a search from google.
# 12
scotsblood
Old 26-03-2007, 11:03 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordial View Post

I find 60 for a key totally disproportionate - if it DID actually prevent car theft outright that would be something but we all know that most crooks have their ways of getting round it.

This would only have been for the convenience and security of having a 'spare'. In the circumstances I shall be foregoing the privilege and I can easily imagine how many regard this as having to pay a ransom, in effect, if they ever DO lose their key.
I think cordial you've missed a significant point, one reason that this "key" costs so much is that its not just a key, you pointed out it also contains the immobiliser chip.

If replacements were two a penny then it would be that much easier to defeat the immobiliser systems - in most "theft" tests the door lock is easily beaten but the immobiliser is NOT!

Most opportunist thieves look for poor security, most professionals stealing high value cars to order won't risk damage so will lift/tow and deal with changing electronics later.

Till the Ford Tibbe lock keys with chips weren't widely available cars fitted with them were considered very "thief proof". As soon as the aftermarket found out how to produce and programme the keys the system became almost worthless.

If a new key costs 60 with its chip programmed to de-activate only your immobiliser then there won't be too many light fingered friends with a pocket full of keys just hoping they have the one with your code on it!

If you want cheap keys look for a low tech car with no immobiliser, its likely to cost you more to insure though as it will be easier to steal!!

The replies may have seemed complacent but costly keys are one of the prices you have to pay for additional security.
Fiscally responsible or just a tight git? : :confused:

Lincolnshire 3.0kWp REC panels SMA 2500HF Inverter East Facing with no shade
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotsblood For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
highguyuk
Old 27-03-2007, 8:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to highguyuk Send a message via MSN to highguyuk

I used to work for Timpsons, and they are able to do alot of keys, but this sounds like a key that would need to be done at the dealership.

The way around the problem, sorry to say, is not to need a new key.

£60 is cheap, for a new Peugeot Key you would be looking at £120+.
-highguyuk-

# 14
kaya
Old 27-03-2007, 9:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Good job you havent got a merc, my spare cost me 150+vat!
# 15
mustrum_ridcully
Old 27-03-2007, 9:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordial View Post

I find 60 for a key totally disproportionate - if it DID actually prevent car theft outright that would be something but we all know that most crooks have their ways of getting round it.

Actually modern immobiliser systems are extremely effective at stopping car theft. Have you ever taken a second to think about why car thieves go fishing for car keys through letter boxes or why when peoples homes are burgled not only does the plasma TV walk but the car goes as well? Yes that's right because on a modern car the immobiliser systems are SO good it's just way too difficult steal a newish car without its keys.

Next time you see an abandonded stolen car on the roadside you'll probably find it's older than around about P-reg (which IIRC was more or less when immobiliser systems were made compulsory).
# 16
scaldyflash
Old 27-03-2007, 11:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A couple of years ago I was quoted £57 by Vauxhall for a replacement key with a built in immobiliser. I went to a local key cutter who sent away for it and charged me £25, no idea where he sent for it but all I had to do was wait a week and I saved over half the price, I would say it's well worth going to a local store and see if they can help you. Incidentally I totally agree that 60 quid is way too much for a key even if it does have a little bit of electronic gear in it.
Education is compulsory, school is not.
Education Otherwise
# 17
cajef
Old 27-03-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaldyflash View Post
A couple of years ago I was quoted 57 by Vauxhall for a replacement key with a built in immobiliser. I went to a local key cutter who sent away for it and charged me 25, no idea where he sent for it but all I had to do was wait a week and I saved over half the price, I would say it's well worth going to a local store and see if they can help you. Incidentally I totally agree that 60 quid is way too much for a key even if it does have a little bit of electronic gear in it.
Depends on the make of car, I know the key I got for my Honda which operates the immobiliser, the central locking and the deadlocks could only be supplied by the dealer as it had to be coded for my particular car and only Honda could supply the correct code for the chassis number.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
# 18
mugwump
Old 26-03-2008, 9:54 PM

If you don't have the codes then that alone is normally £20.

About 6 years ago I paid around £60 and that was with the code sheet available to them. The annoying bit is that it actually takes them about 30 secs to program the new key into the car.
# 19
Pew Pew Pew Lasers!
Old 26-03-2008, 9:56 PM

£60 is a good price for something so bespoke.

I don't see how you can possibly complain. It isn't as if they make millions of them and sell them in Tesco.
# 20
kitchpoo
Old 26-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Can you call the original vauxhall delaer (it may be in the service book or even still on the original number plates) At the time local dealers were recording the key codes at sale so they could bypass contacting VXHQ to get the code (the 20 charge). As long as you can prove to that dealer you own the car and they kept recorde you may knock 20 off the bill.
Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!

There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.
Closed Thread