Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Realistic cost of removing ground floor chimney breast?
    • 25th Mar 07, 3:08 PM
    Realistic cost of removing ground floor chimney breast? 25th Mar 07 at 3:08 PM
    I've just become the proud owner of a 3-bed mid terraced property, with a view to making the interior as swish as possible without bankrupting myself.

The current dining room (for my lifestyle) is a waste of space, and the kitchen is far too small (perfect size for a utility room though!). I like the idea of a kitchen diner, and have ideas to remove the existing chimney breast in the dining room so I've got a nice flat wall to put a brand spanking new kitchen up against.

I only want to remove the chimney breast in the dining room and not the bedroom above, and understand that some sort of lintel / joist thing has to be put in place.

What is a realistic figure for all works involved to achieve this? I'm based in the East Midlands, if this affects the price significantly?? Myself and the OH don't mind mucking in as much as we safely can, but I want this to adhere to building regs 'n such. Any advice gratefully received.
    Dance your cares away
    Worry's for another day
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,359Posts Today

7,492Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Poor sophie from @itvMLshow hadn't realised what our show t shirts backs say when collecting me from Tory conference

• RT @hselftax: .@MartinSLewis now talking (engagingly) about the need for trust in the energy market. Fiery tone! #CPC15

• Going to my energy debate at Tory conference, protestor outside as I go in heckles "don't do it martin, you'll come out dirty"

• Follow Martin