IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Repairs to guttering and downpipe
Closed Thread
Views: 1,078
# 1
SternMusik
Old 31-07-2012, 1:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Repairs to guttering and downpipe

I am a newbie homeowner and therefore have no idea how much repairs cost. Hope someone can help me out.

The guttering at the back of my house (small three bed semi) has a few problems: It slopes downwards at the end where there isn't a downpipe, causing water to pour out at an alarming rate when it rains. It seems that one of the clips/brackets holding the guttering up needs replacing.

Also, two brackets securing the downpipe to the house have gone thanks to corrosion and need replacing. I want all guttering cleared of leaves etc as well, front and back. Then there is a small issue with the water butt not filling up.

I asked a local property maintenance firm for a quote and they came back with 50 for materials and 120 for labour. Am I right in thinking that this is excessive?
# 2
SailorSam
Old 31-07-2012, 1:51 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

50 sounds a lot for for a couple of clips and a new downspout. Check it out in B&q. If you don't mind getting up the ladder yourself clearing gutters is not a big job. There are lots of videos on google or youtube, look at them before getting someone in, at least you'll know what they're going to do for their money.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
SternMusik
Old 31-07-2012, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, I'll check out the DIY stores and also get some more quotes in. I am not very good on tall ladders so I'd definitely prefer to get someone in to do it...
# 4
Crabman
Old 31-07-2012, 3:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Toolstation are quite competitive on guttering if you're just looking to get some prices for parts:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roof...nd/d250/sd2688

I'm looking to have similar work carried out. Easier said than done as there are a lot of cowboys out there who will happily do the work then disappear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
SailorSam
Old 31-07-2012, 3:49 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

[QUOTE=SternMusik;54849625I am not very good on tall ladders so I'd definitely prefer to get someone in to do it...[/QUOTE]

When i was doing some work once i drilled the wall every few feet and put a few screw-in rings in, now whenever i have to go up the ladder there's something to tie the top of it to..
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
SternMusik
Old 31-07-2012, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Toolstation are quite competitive on guttering if you're just looking to get some prices for parts:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roof...nd/d250/sd2688

I'm looking to have similar work carried out. Easier said than done as there are a lot of cowboys out there who will happily do the work then disappear.
Well, they did want to rip me off for materials, by the looks of it!! It seems such a straightforward job, but I am struggling to find reliable people to do these small-ish repairs.
# 7
SternMusik
Old 31-07-2012, 4:15 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
When i was doing some work once i drilled the wall every few feet and put a few screw-in rings in, now whenever i have to go up the ladder there's something to tie the top of it to..
That's a good idea! However I fear that even with the most secure ladder in the world I would still make a mess of this job
The Following User Says Thank You to SternMusik For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Crabman
Old 31-07-2012, 4:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SternMusik View Post
Well, they did want to rip me off for materials, by the looks of it!! It seems such a straightforward job, but I am struggling to find reliable people to do these small-ish repairs.
It may be worth looking to see if you have a Eurocell trade counter (or any other trade outlet) near you. I found one and asked if they had any numbers for tradesmen (who do guttering) that they see a lot. They said they couldn't officially recommend but didn't mind giving me a couple of numbers for tradesmen who were regular customers there.

The best part was that the tradesmen I contacted knew that I knew from the trade counter staff how much their materials cost to purchase. Hence their quotes were the most competitive. They would also not be keen to do a bad quality job if they knew word of it may get back to the people at the trade place.
I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crabman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
SternMusik
Old 31-07-2012, 5:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
It may be worth looking to see if you have a Eurocell trade counter (or any other trade outlet) near you. I found one and asked if they had any numbers for tradesmen (who do guttering) that they see a lot. They said they couldn't officially recommend but didn't mind giving me a couple of numbers for tradesmen who were regular customers there.

The best part was that the tradesmen I contacted knew that I knew from the trade counter staff how much their materials cost to purchase. Hence their quotes were the most competitive. They would also not be keen to do a bad quality job if they knew word of it may get back to the people at the trade place.
Great tip, thanks! There is a trade outlet near me. I'll definitely give that one a try.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SternMusik For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread