Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    BrokeBrokeBroke
    Can you freeze cooked pasta?
    • 1st Apr 05, 6:24 PM
    Can you freeze cooked pasta? 1st Apr 05 at 6:24 PM
    I am having a cooking day at the weekend and I know it must seem like I'm really lazy in the week, but I want as much as poss to be ready to just re-heat. I'm going to make some spag bol, chilli, curry, couple of soups etc and was wondering whether I could cook and then freeze the pasta. (I will be doing the rice as well, but I've done that before and it works.) I just know that if it's not all 'packaged up' I will probably think 'I can't be bothered getting the pasta out of the cupboard and cooking it for a whole 10 mins!' which I know sounds daft, but I just want to see how far I can go with this 'cooking twice a month' thing.
Page 4
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Jan 11, 4:01 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    thanks for that pink. would covering it in cling film or such help prevent the outside to overcook ?
    Originally posted by jcr16
    I have a plastic thingy (sorry there must be a better word for it than thingy ) that I cover it with and it still over cooks. Perhaps others have had better experiences, but I'd definitely recommend cooking once it's defrosted.

Pink
    • louisaL
    • By louisaL 25th Feb 11, 12:11 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    louisaL
    left over pasta?
    What do you do with yours?

Can it be frozen at all?
    Last edited by louisaL; 25-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th Feb 11, 12:19 PM
    • 5,032 Posts
    • 29,280 Thanks
    quintwins
    i was always told you can't reheat pasta so i tend to just eat mine cold as a pasta salad type thing
    DFW £1263/£28996 4.3%

EF#240 £0
    • louisaL
    • By louisaL 25th Feb 11, 12:28 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    louisaL
    thank you quintwins. Do you or anyone else reading this have any recipes which dont involve mayo as I always just have tuna pasta mayo (as i find it too dry otherwise)
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th Feb 11, 12:41 PM
    • 5,032 Posts
    • 29,280 Thanks
    quintwins
    i make my own tomatoe sauce, and top it with grated cheese

it's just 2 big onions (i prefer red) and 3 cloves garlic and i sweat them, then add 2 tins of tomatoes and then i had in a big spoonful of honey and some salt/pepper/chives/papkrica and let it simmer for about 20mins then blend it smooth with my stick blender

theres 5 of us (2 adults 3 kids) and this does us about 5 meals and is soooo cheap
    DFW £1263/£28996 4.3%

EF#240 £0
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th Feb 11, 12:44 PM
    • 5,032 Posts
    • 29,280 Thanks
    quintwins
    or i do a cheese sauce which is just thinned philly, with garlic powder (i do love my garlic) and chives, i only do this if we decide to have pasta for lunch tho cause it's only 2 of us at lunch time and i can make as little or as much of this as i want
    DFW £1263/£28996 4.3%

EF#240 £0
  • life in termoil
    i was always told you can't reheat pasta so i tend to just eat mine cold as a pasta salad type thing
    Originally posted by quintwins
    You buy pasta based frozen ready meals which you have to reheat so I dont see why you cant reheat it x
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save £1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 25th Feb 11, 1:59 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 8,402 Thanks
    Chloris
    Oh I just had leftover pasta for lunch, mixed with green pesto, tinned tuna, red pepper, black olives and a bit of cheese. Raided the fridge! Once I cooked too much spag and hm sauce and just froze it all mixed and chopped up together. The children ate it no problem (DS1 is very fussy, if it wasn't okay he would have said). HTH
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th Feb 11, 2:03 PM
    • 5,032 Posts
    • 29,280 Thanks
    quintwins
    You buy pasta based frozen ready meals which you have to reheat so I dont see why you cant reheat it x
    Originally posted by life in termoil
    well i don't but that is a good point, besides i like cold pasta
    DFW £1263/£28996 4.3%

EF#240 £0
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 25th Feb 11, 2:46 PM
    • 4,091 Posts
    • 9,079 Thanks
    Linda32
    You can re-heat pasta, no problems at all. It might be that the pasta absorbs the sauce quite abit, so it might be classed as abit rubbery IYSWIM.

When I make pasta and sauce type things. I always make more than necessary and freeze in portions. Then defrost and spread out on a flat dish and sprinkle with grated cheese again. It turns out just fine.

If its plain pasta you can spoon over a teaspoon of oil and shake around this stops the pasta sticking together.

This may not be you cup of tea as its not cooking from scratch by any means, but I use the condensed campbells soup as sauce, (currently 2 of £1 in Tesco's) Only dilute by 1/3rd of a tin to make sauce.

Mix with pasta, peas, bacon, cooked sausage, brocolli whatever you fancy really.
    I serve with bagettes/crusty bread.

The frozen version is abit more solid so I serve that with wedges.

Its cheap and quite tasty if you don't mind the ready made element.
  • jackieglasgow
    Our favourite meal is from leftover pasta

Olive oil, chilli flakes or powder and one or two cloves of minced garlic in a wide bottomed pan or frying pan, warm gently and turn up heat after a minute or two, add pasta and season well - particularly salt - and cook until pasta is hot, stirring continuously. Add chopped parsley if available and serve with fresh parmesan on top. Scrape the bottom of the pan too - the crusty bits are the best bite
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • Mrs Veg Plot
    • By Mrs Veg Plot 25th Feb 11, 5:34 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 11,501 Thanks
    Mrs Veg Plot
    I frequently make too much pasta withthe intention of freezing it or having it cold the next day with chopped up salad veg and some sweet chilli dipping sauce.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order .
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 25th Feb 11, 5:54 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,786 Thanks
    zippychick
    I've only ever froze it in soup , with success

This thread - can you freeze cooked pasta should help, and ill merge this later once you get some more replies

Letfover pasta may also interest you

other links for other users asking for recipes

Pasta sauces

quick and easy tomato sauce for past a

pasta salad

chicken pasta bake

pasta bake recipes

pasta ideas

tuna pasta bake

pasta sauce with no tomatoes

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 25th Feb 11, 6:09 PM
    • 17,084 Posts
    • 132,744 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    What do you do with yours?

Can it be frozen at all?
    Originally posted by louisaL
    We never have pasta leftover - I know how much each person eats, so weigh it out and serve the lot

I sometimes freeze pasta bakes, and they heat up beautifully for a free lunch
    Badgers at the bottom of our garden
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 25th Feb 11, 7:21 PM
    • 23,095 Posts
    • 60,822 Thanks
    meritaten
    as you seem to like tuna perhaps you would like this cold pasta dish.
    Prawn Pasta.
    to your cold pasta add some cooked prawns, some mayo or salad cream or a mix of both, tomato ketchup -enough to make it a pretty pink colour, some salt and pepper to taste and a dash of worstershire sauce.
    mix well and chill!
    delicious with a green salad and crusty bread - or on a baked potato!
    • HappySmiles
    • By HappySmiles 25th Feb 11, 9:51 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HappySmiles
    I make leftover pasta into a tomato pasta soup thing:

Fry an onion and some garlic. Add a tin of tomatoes, some stock, some mixed herbs and a little sugar. Then bring to the boil and put the pasta in. Once it is heated through, it is ready to eat.

Not exciting, but I like it!
    • julia55
    • By julia55 9th May 16, 7:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    julia55
    I love your idea of having a cooking day at weekends it would certainly save time through the week. I think I may adopt your idea
    • ermintrude64
    • By ermintrude64 14th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ermintrude64
    Its me
    Here i am lol.
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 14th Jul 17, 7:45 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 3,923 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    We often freeze cold pasta and make double batches of meals to store in the freezer for busy weeks.

1) For plain pasta we run the freshly cooked additional pasta under the cold tap to cool it before putting it into the freezer. To cook, I take it straight from the freezer & drop it into boiling water for 6-10 minutes.
    2) For freezer meals (lasagne, stroganoff casserole, pasta bakes) I defrost them and heat them in the oven for about an hour (until piping hot)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,547Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin