Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    daisiegg
    Door-to-door ex con rehabilitation?
    • 24th Jul 12, 11:06 AM
    Door-to-door ex con rehabilitation? 24th Jul 12 at 11:06 AM
    Has anyone else had these come to the door?

Usually a young man with a laminated ID badge/form thing, and a bag of household tat being sold for extortionate prices, saying that it's part of young offenders' rehabilitation.

I have had it before in my old house and just had one come to the door in my new house. He seemed a very nice young man, quite embarrassed, and I listened to him, gave him a glass of water (and gave him a bottle of water to take with him as it's absolutely boiling!) and bought some cleaning cloths for £5 - a bit more than they'd cost me in Wilkinsons but about the same as what they'd cost me in Waitrose.

I then came in and Googled it, because I'm very suspicious about the whole thing - can't find anything conclusive online. Does anyone know if this is a real rehabilitation scheme?

To be honest, I don't mind either way. If it's real, then I'm pleased to have helped someone on his way to starting a college place in September (so he said). If it's not real...well...if someone is so hard up and desperate that they will go door to door in thirty degrees heat peddling rubbish for probably not much gain (particularly in this area - I'm pretty sure most of my neighbours would have sent him quickly on his way!) then I don't begrudge him a glass of water and £5.

So, does anyone know if these schemes are genuine or not? As I said, just purely out of curiosity.
Page 3
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Oct 16, 7:53 AM
    • 15,200 Posts
    • 35,223 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I wonder why a thread from years ago has been resurrected?
    Originally posted by msb5262
    Maybe because it happened to brightnewday in the last few days and he/she Googled and this website came up?

If you look at some of the other posts in the thread, they are just random one-off posts like the ones from kanga2 & Rockyroller.

I don't see anything suspicious in it.
    • BISCUIT1
    • By BISCUIT1 9th Oct 16, 11:00 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    BISCUIT1
    Just to add..if people are going door to door selling in this way they need a pedlar's certificate from local authority which involves a Police check..if they are ex offenders they are unlikely to be granted one and if they don't have one and are selling they commit an offence...as previous poster says...call Police to get them checked out.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Oct 16, 7:40 AM
    • 14,583 Posts
    • 10,377 Thanks
    hollydays
    Agree with the above. I usually find asking door to door sellers( I get very few maybe once a year) if they have a pedlars licence gets rid of them .

Last time I had the young offender routine it was near to Christmas . When
    I told him( with the chain in the door) I don't buy from people at the door he became aggressive saying" what! Not even at Christmas. " I told him " No".
    I'd be concerned for my other neighbours not being as assertive as myself hence why I got a good description of him and reported him to the police. I've had others put on the " disabled routine" and " your neighbours bought from me " , and the sob story. A good con but get lost.

My instincts told me he wasn't the kind of person I wanted hanging around my house. Also once you buy you are noted down and put on the suckers list.
    Last edited by hollydays; 10-10-2016 at 8:01 AM.
    • .Gigolo Aunt
    • By .Gigolo Aunt 10th Oct 16, 3:28 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    .Gigolo Aunt
    Ex-cons don't go door to door selling. Why would they.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,597Posts Today

5,618Users online

Martin's Twitter