Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Disability & Dosh > ATOS - help please. Do they read the esa50 or no... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
ATOS - help please. Do they read the esa50 or not?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,028
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
dazza-mac
Old 19-07-2012, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 222
Default ATOS - help please. Do they read the esa50 or not?

Help required please.
I filled in the ESA50 and got it sent off. I listed the dates that I'd be unable to attend. I also asked for an afternoon appointment due to various reasons - all listed on the flaming form.

I have chronic insomnia, fibromyalgia, pains are worse in mornings, I feel sick in the morning due to lack of sleep but unable to lie in bed due to joints hurting etc etc.

They've given me a 9.45am appointment. I feel sick just thinking about it. This, I stress is not laziness. I don't want to stay in to watch Jeremy Kyle or some other crap that's on daytime tv. I don't go to bed on average until 5am. I feel sick today as I've not slept properly after a full week of 5 to 5.30am bedtimes and having to get up about 9am because of the pain.
I'll need to be up at 6.30 - 7am on appointment day. I'll be ill from the taxi journey (I have a lifelong phobia of vomiting).

Is there anything I can do? I tried phoning on my mobile today (freephone numbers are charged) as I don't have a landline and didn't want to use a public noisy phone. I asked them to ring me back when I eventually got through (now skint) and they wouldn't call back.

Is there any point in trying to get the appointment changed. It's got me really worried now that they obviously don't read the form and they couldn't possibly have written to the doctor for any info as I only sent the form in a couple of weeks ago.

Help please with any advice, or let me know if it's just not worth the added stress of trying to reason with them

Last edited by dazza-mac; 19-07-2012 at 6:00 PM.
dazza-mac is offline
Report Post
# 2
HB58
Old 19-07-2012, 6:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: somewhere on the south coast of England
Posts: 1,316
Default

I think that the person making the appointment is a clerical worker who has no access to your ESA50. The HCP who carries out your assessment is supposed to have read your ESA50.

You are allowed to rearrange one appointment without penalty, so you should be able to get this changed if you wish. Unfortunately, te only way to do this is to spend time, and money, hanging on the phone.

Be warned that, once you have rearranged this appointment, you would not be allowed to rearrange another (without a lot of fuss, time and agro).
HB58 is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to HB58 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
colin13
Old 19-07-2012, 8:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: lanarkshire
Posts: 898
Default

imo,if they do they dont bother with it,they put u through a examination,then make there desion,,there could be very important info in form,which they chose to ignore,,its only a scam by the tories to get people off incapacity benefit and get them working ,in 1 of the millions of jobs that there are ,,lol
colin13 is offline
Report Post
# 4
nannytone
Old 19-07-2012, 8:19 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,369
Default

i agtrr with HB58.... its just a clerical thing.

i can only comment on my own experience, and u have just been reassessed without the need for a medical ..... so they must have read my ESA50!
nannytone is offline
Report Post
# 5
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Old 19-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 830
Default

I put on mine that i can't have on assessment on a date and guess what,they made my appointment on that date,and i put do not ring me up,you can only make an appointment with me by letter,and you guessed it,they rang me.So they either don't read it or they just ignore whatever you put on it.


DWP enquiry? Call 0113 230 9175 that number is to ATOS,the interigation company.

http://dwpexamination.org/

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/for...owcat&catid=10

Last edited by vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv; 19-07-2012 at 11:26 PM.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
rogerblack
Old 19-07-2012, 11:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glenrothes
Posts: 7,489
Default

While deliberately making yourself ill is of course a bad thing, if you could make it to a 9:45 interview, your symptoms will be most obvious.

Similarly - while you can 'rest up' for a while before and improve for the day, this does not accurately reflect your condition.
rogerblack is offline
Report Post
# 8
grummps
Old 20-07-2012, 3:01 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerblack View Post
While deliberately making yourself ill is of course a bad thing, if you could make it to a 9:45 interview, your symptoms will be most obvious.

Similarly - while you can 'rest up' for a while before and improve for the day, this does not accurately reflect your condition.
Are you actually suggesting that you manipulate the system by accepting an early appointment because at that time in the morning, you are at your worst?

Is that at all fair to those that have an assessment at a time when they will be at their best?
grummps is offline
Report Post
# 9
grummps
Old 20-07-2012, 3:05 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Convert
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza-mac View Post
Help required please.
I filled in the ESA50 and got it sent off. I listed the dates that I'd be unable to attend. I also asked for an afternoon appointment due to various reasons - all listed on the flaming form.

I have chronic insomnia, fibromyalgia, pains are worse in mornings, I feel sick in the morning due to lack of sleep but unable to lie in bed due to joints hurting etc etc.

They've given me a 9.45am appointment. I feel sick just thinking about it. This, I stress is not laziness. I don't want to stay in to watch Jeremy Kyle or some other crap that's on daytime tv. I don't go to bed on average until 5am. I feel sick today as I've not slept properly after a full week of 5 to 5.30am bedtimes and having to get up about 9am because of the pain.
I'll need to be up at 6.30 - 7am on appointment day. I'll be ill from the taxi journey (I have a lifelong phobia of vomiting).

Is there anything I can do? I tried phoning on my mobile today (freephone numbers are charged) as I don't have a landline and didn't want to use a public noisy phone. I asked them to ring me back when I eventually got through (now skint) and they wouldn't call back.

Is there any point in trying to get the appointment changed. It's got me really worried now that they obviously don't read the form and they couldn't possibly have written to the doctor for any info as I only sent the form in a couple of weeks ago.

Help please with any advice, or let me know if it's just not worth the added stress of trying to reason with them

I can confirm that they certainly do not look at the ESA50 when making the appointment, nor do they consider the contents of that form when deciding if you actually need to have an assessment.

In my case, I had a telephone call from ATOS to arrange a date for the assessment, and still had the uncompleted ESA50 on the dining table! In fact the assessment took place two days before I was required to send the ESA50 back!! I came home from the assessment on the Monday and posted the ESA50 off on the following Wednesday.
The decision to award me 0 points was dated 5 days after the assessment date. When I obtained the ESA85 and a copy of my ESA50 (for future reference) the date received stamp on the ESA50 was one day after the date of the decision notice!!!

Yet they said that they had used the ESA50 as part of the decision making evidence.


Uuummm and pigs fly! When I pointed this discrepancy out to the DWP and sent in some evidence they never replied to my query just put me in the Support Group for 3 years.

Last edited by grummps; 20-07-2012 at 3:10 PM.
grummps is offline
Report Post
# 10
rogerblack
Old 20-07-2012, 3:24 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Glenrothes
Posts: 7,489
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grummps View Post
Are you actually suggesting that you manipulate the system by accepting an early appointment because at that time in the morning, you are at your worst?

Is that at all fair to those that have an assessment at a time when they will be at their best?
I am suggesting that you comply with instructions you are given.

You are not misrepresenting your condition, if you have informed them of your difficulties getting to the appointment.

While you are required to not do anything to worsen your condition, you are not required to do anything abnormal to improve it.

This means that though you can possibly get more able to get to the interview if you rest for a couple of days - doing so actively misrepresents your condition, as it's something you couldn't do in work.
rogerblack is offline
Report Post
# 11
schrodie
Old 20-07-2012, 4:21 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,292
Default

Request that your assessment is recorded, the chances that Atos will have a recording device available at your assessment centre is low and they will have to rearrange your assessment until one becomes available.
Do the Country a favour - Report a Tax Evader.
Hotline: 0800 788 887.

Last edited by schrodie; 20-07-2012 at 4:24 PM.
schrodie is offline
Report Post
# 12
dazza-mac
Old 20-07-2012, 4:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 222
Default

I actually have written a letter sent recorded to request an afternoon appointment and that I would like my assessment recorded.

I did try and phone yesterday on my mobile and they wouldn't call back so I thought I'd send a letter giving my number and asked them to ring me if they needed to speak to me.

I don't know if this was a good idea. I shall wait until the end of next week and if I don't hear anything I suppose I shall just have to go to a public phone (noisy) and dtry and use the freephone number and try to get the appointment changed.

Has anyone else written a request in rather than ring up. If so, did they change the appointment for you?
dazza-mac is offline
Report Post
# 13
schrodie
Old 20-07-2012, 4:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza-mac View Post
I actually have written a letter sent recorded to request an afternoon appointment and that I would like my assessment recorded.

I did try and phone yesterday on my mobile and they wouldn't call back so I thought I'd send a letter giving my number and asked them to ring me if they needed to speak to me.

I don't know if this was a good idea. I shall wait until the end of next week and if I don't hear anything I suppose I shall just have to go to a public phone (noisy) and dtry and use the freephone number and try to get the appointment changed.

Has anyone else written a request in rather than ring up. If so, did they change the appointment for you?

Don't let Atos fob you off and try to say they cannot record your assessment. You have the right to ask for it to be recorded. If Atos kick off just quote them what Grayling said in answer to a question from Frank Field on July 17th:-

"Mr Frank Field: To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions if he will ensure that each Atos assessment centre has a recording device available so that medical assessments can be recorded at the request of a claimant or their representative. [R] [117849]

Chris Grayling: Based on the results of a trial during 2011, we have not implemented universal recording for claimants going through the work capability assessment (WCA). We have asked Atos Healthcare to accommodate requests for audio recording, where a claimant makes a request in advance of their assessment. This approach began in late 2011 and we will monitor take-up during 2012 before making a decision on the requirement for recording assessments, taking into account factors such as value for money and the value it adds to the WCA process.

As part of this process we are also reviewing Atos capacity to provide recordings for those claimants who currently request one. Additional machines have been ordered. However a large scale purchase of machines in the absence of an evaluation of the process is not effective use of public money. Although there have been increases in requests these still represent only a small percentage of overall work capability assessments.

In the meantime, while Atos will do all that they can to accommodate requests for audio recording there may be times when the service cannot be offered, for example where it has not be possible to get access to recording equipment on the date/time of the WCA. In these circumstances clients will be told in advance that their request cannot be accommodated and offered a later date."
Do the Country a favour - Report a Tax Evader.
Hotline: 0800 788 887.
schrodie is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to schrodie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
dazza-mac
Old 20-07-2012, 4:51 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 222
Default

Just another query.

WhenI sent the letter off today to request a later appointment and to have the assessment recorded - the letter was sent to ATOS at my local medical examination centre (which sent me the appointment for the morning assessment).

Should I have sent a letter anywhere else?
dazza-mac is offline
Report Post
# 15
schrodie
Old 20-07-2012, 5:03 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza-mac View Post
Just another query.

WhenI sent the letter off today to request a later appointment and to have the assessment recorded - the letter was sent to ATOS at my local medical examination centre (which sent me the appointment for the morning assessment).

Should I have sent a letter anywhere else?
Was that the address at the top of the letter you sent it to?

You may want to try contacting them by phone as well if and when you can. Although having sent this outfit a recorded delivery letter at least they can't say they never received it even though they may have!! It's always wise to cover all bases when dealing with the likes of Atos. Also even though you have requested a recorded assessmet it's still a good idea to atke along a friend to act as a witness and also to take notes. Again Atos don't like it but it is another level of protection you can take against Atos.
Do the Country a favour - Report a Tax Evader.
Hotline: 0800 788 887.
schrodie is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to schrodie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
saving_pennies
Old 20-07-2012, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 415
Default

Hi,

I can relate to this situation. Fortunately after two appointments were not suitable due to medical reasons (which they would have known about if they had read the form!), they spoke direct to my doctor and awarded me ESA without a medical. In my communications with them I wanted everything in writing and used email:
customer-relations@atoshealthcare.com

I assume it is ok to post the email address here as it is clearly displayed on their website: http://www.atoshealthcare.com/contactus

There is also a 01 number on the website which might be cheaper for you from a mobile than the free number. When you talk on the phone I would suggest making a note of what was discussed and back it up by email or letter.

Hope this helps.
saving_pennies is offline
Report Post
# 17
dazza-mac
Old 21-07-2012, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 222
Default

[QUOTE=schrodie;54629395]Was that the address at the top of the letter you sent it to?

QUOTE]

Yes, it was. It's just someone else on another thread mentioned they had sent a letter to ATOS and to the DWP. But I thought I would only have to write to ATOS.

I was thinking of ringing up as well in a few days. It's just I hate talking on the phone and I don't have a landline, so I'd have to use a public, noisy one.

As for taking someone with me. I'm a right billy no mates, and I haven't told many of my family about all my problems as I usually just get the rolling eyes as if to say, "not another whinge about pain". So I can't really ask anyone.

With regards getting someone from a disability group, I'm not sure how much notice you have to give them - and if ATOS insist I keep the morning appointment, it's in approx 2 weeks!
dazza-mac is offline
Report Post
# 18
KxMx
Old 23-07-2012, 5:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,404
Default

I had my call to book the medical, and he knew all the dates I couldn't do. Booked me in. Then I asked to make sure it would be recorded as per my request (letter stapled to front of ESA50 and written in the form) and he said he hadn't been informed of this. So he was fine about it, cancelled the appointment just made and sent off a request to another Dept who deals with it and said they will be in touch. He couldn't have been nicer, even asked me if there were any more dates I couldn't do and let me add one.

We shall see how it turns out!
KxMx is offline
Report Post
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:46 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 23 July 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • VARIOUS ARTISTSNOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC! 88
  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSTHE HOUSE THAT GARAGE BUILT - MINISTRY OF SOUND

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.