Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Scammed by Entitlements Agency
    • #1
    • 16th Jul 12, 12:11 PM
    Scammed by Entitlements Agency 16th Jul 12 at 12:11 PM
    My wife was overpaying tax all last year so, we looked for the official tax website to find out how to get a refund. Like !!!!!!! idiots we thought was the official site to get the tax refunds so, filled out the form to get the refund pack. Filled out the form and waited for them to get back to us (still thinking it was a refund branch of the official HM Revenue & Customs).

    We received a letter from HM Revenue & Customs saying she was untitled to a refund and repayment would be made to The Entitlements Agency which we still thought was a part of the HM Revenue & Customs.

    Today we get a letter and cheque minus;
    17% processing fees +VAT.

    We were thinking why would the HM Revenue & Customs be charging fees when we realised that this is not all we thought it to be. You might think we were stupid but, there was no mention of any type of fees that would have to be paid and they made it look like they were from HM Revenue & Customs.

    Do we have any chance of getting this reversed or at least getting the fees reduced, we haven't put the cheque in the bank yet?

    I don't understand how this is allowed to happen, my wife worked very very hard for the money and we are in a situation where we really need it!

    Any advice would be great. BTW; they didn't send the P60 back with the cheque, should we be worried?
    Last edited by AstroBoy72; 16-07-2012 at 2:21 PM.
Page 5
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 20th Aug 17, 11:13 AM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 4,408 Thanks

    About Us
    We Work on a no win no fee basis to claim legimate tax repayments from HMRC.

    Our goal is to keep developing new services so that we can offer help to more people in more ways.

    That's it for About us. Can't even spell legitimate which is probably because they aren't.
    • mben
    • By mben 16th Sep 17, 12:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    I was scammed by the tax rebate or repayment agency (they use both names) on my tax refund . I was due 1673, they sent me back 871 pounds, they took 40% excluding vat which amounrs to 806 pounds. The guys name is david brennan a young cocky financier who hasnt filled any earnings for his company since its start in 2014. HMRC hasnt done anything to help with this sad and very detrimental situation (i am jobless and was relying on the money to pay my rent) , in fact despite many complaints HMRC protected him and his interests. He has since removed from his website the sentence "claim your taxe refund from HMRC" leading me to think it was a govrnemental agency !!!! I even emailed consumer rights who explained they can not represent me since i asked for the cancelation of the contract before the end of one month (you are allowed 90 days to cancel a service contract if unhappy with how they are dealing with your requests) . I EVEN FILLED AN ONLINE POLICE REPORT FOR FRAUD. Not only mr david brennan didnt explain such high commission, he even showed off that he put the date wrong wrong on the contract (19th april instead of august) and he is not backing off nor recognising it was abuse of my good faith. The mail can track when i received their claim form and when it was sent back. But guess what mr david brennan is now 800 richer in a country that allows him to mislead people enrish himself and not pay his taxes and GET AWAY WITH IT
    • elosarabrab
    • By elosarabrab 13th Nov 17, 12:03 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tax Returned Ltd
    Hi, I very stupidly signed up to this company in August 2017 for a rebate on uniforms for work. I only ever signed electronically not a physical form with my actual signature. I was not sent forms in the post and don't have a copy of the agreement/ contract. Recently my husbands wage details changed so he filled out details direct with HMRC in relation to our married tax allowance. This meant I got sent a rebate. Soon after I got an email from tax returned stating as they were the agents working on my behalf they wanted their payment for work they did. i wrote back to them as they did not do any work in securing this rebate they were not due any payment from me.
    I had a letter from HMRC "A repayment was issued to you in error, at the time of issue there was a legally binding deed of assignment in place in favour of Tax Returned Ltd and as such the payment should have been made to them. A deed of assignment can only be withdrawn if you and the person to whom you assigned the deed both agree in writing."
    Am I right in thinking the company can only "act as my agent" up to 2016 and not consider it a rolling contract for future years?
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 13th Nov 17, 12:27 PM
    • 5,756 Posts
    • 5,201 Thanks
    Am I right in thinking the company can only "act as my agent" up to 2016 and not consider it a rolling contract for future years?
    Originally posted by elosarabrab
    No you cannot make that assumption

    as far as HMRC is concerned, you have an agent and the agent is the person they should send all, and any, future refunds to until such time as you directly inform HMRC that the company is no longer your agent.

    it is vital that you find out what the terms of the contract you have with the company are, since there must be something in it explaining how you can terminate it.

    Don't just assume you can walk away cleanly from the company, they may have some sort of tie in period in the contract, so telling HMRC not to deal with them again may leave you open to being in breach of contract with the company if you have not terminated that contract in accordance with its terms.
    • laticsforlife
    • By laticsforlife 13th Nov 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,168 Posts
    • 1,457 Thanks
    Although if you complete a form 64-8 with a new agent, HMRC will process this and change it on the system - the old agent is not notified of this change as far as I know. So will never know you have moved to a reputable Agent.

    If you aren't having an official accountant, then perhaps use your 'other half' if you have one.
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing!
    Quidco, £1,985
    Shopandscan, £2,510
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,766Posts Today

6,807Users online

Martin's Twitter