Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Woodcote52
    Cash Advance Fee on CREDIT CARD
    • 15th Jul 12, 9:25 AM
    Cash Advance Fee on CREDIT CARD 15th Jul 12 at 9:25 AM
    Im going abroad for the first time and researched the best way of buying euros. I bought euros on line with my HSBC Mastercard. Days later I learnt from my card statement that Id been charged a cash advance fee by Mastercard. Wasn't expecting this!

I knew using a card abroad to withdraw cash incurred a charge. I wasnt aware that I would be charged in my own country for purchasing euros with a card.

Logic tells me youll get stung with a cash advance fee even if you physically purchase currency over the counter with a card in the UK.

To avoid a cash advance fee you would have to withdraw pounds from your bank (from the counter or through an ATM) and then physically carry a fortune in cash to a bureau de change!

I knew DEBIT card companies charged a cash advance fee for foreign currency purchases. But is it normal for CREDIT card companies (Mastercard in this case) to charge a cash advance fee?
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

28Posts Today

3,978Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @AndyM_2101: @MartinSLewis -tourists taking large amounts of cash to Greece - perhaps a reminder on Travel Insurance limits for money th?

• RT @GothboyUK: @MartinSLewis Exactly the same amount I'm due! How strange. ????

• Beware! Just got this text from CONMEN eazyclaims "£3856 IS STILL waiting in your name, for the accident you had! To get money" etc

• Follow Martin