Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Jul 12, 3:02 PM
    • 2,081Posts
    • 16,886Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Two Pennies Left
    • 12th Jul 12, 3:02 PM
    Two Pennies Left 12th Jul 12 at 3:02 PM
    Hello fellow MSEs. I am a long-time lurker on the site and have been benefitting from all the sage advice and wisdom of others who post their diaries here - for which I thank you greatly. Inevitably I realised that keeping a diary myself would be a great tool in keeping focussed and on track with my own financial plans - so here I am .

Trying to think of an appropriate title for this thread, I came across a chinese proverb:

"When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."

I thought this summed up my approach to money really well. My DH and I want to make good, sensible financial decisions so that we can live our lives well.

A little about me... I met Mr Fortunate relatively late in life (both in our 40's) and started married life pretty much from scratch. We're not rich but haven't had any real money worries and for this I am extremely grateful. We have, however, had a big change recently. I gave up full time work 18 months ago and this has meant a big adjustment for us financially. We also built a garage for which we had saved but it has effectively wiped out our savings and so I'm feeling much the poorer for that.

So, I am starting this diary to help me with the following:

• clear Mr Fortunate's credit cards (run up recently and only just confessed to )
    • build our savings back up
    • continue with home maintenance/improvement plans
    • start to overpay on the mortgage
    Not particularly SMART as goals go - but I will refine later when I've had a chance to work out the numbers. Any goal setting experts out there will have to avert their eyes for the moment .

So Step 1: 'Start an MSE diary' completed and I'm looking forward to being part of such a supportive and inspirational community.

Fortune x
    Last edited by Fortune Smiles; 12-07-2012 at 5:08 PM.
    Emergency Savings: 100% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 36%

"When you have only two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."
Page 136
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 11th Sep 16, 9:51 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Free Food!
    We went on a foraging course with some friends yesterday. The weather held off and we discovered some new paths in our local area. The guide was fabulous and we learnt some really interesting and useful things about finding free food from the countryside around us. Lunch was at a local pub we haven't really visited in the past. It had a wild food theme and was excellent so we will certainly be going back. Me and my poorly toe managed fine but I dipped out on the second walk through a vineyard. Made sure I was available for the wine tasting that followed though

We'd paid for the event a couple of months ago so there was no impact on the fun budget for this month. However, we all went out for a light supper after at one of the Estate pubs - got to make use of my discount while I still can!

So a wonderful day full of lilies and we have another planned for today. Friends have invited us to join them for a BBQ.

Sooooo lovely to have a weekend free to spend with Mr F. Can't wait until all my weekends are my own again.

Have a great day all

Fortune x

• Moneyfordreams
    • By Moneyfordreams 11th Sep 16, 10:49 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    Moneyfordreams
    your paintings are stunning, thank you for the link,

I'm more crafty than arty i would say, Knit, sew, build things I would love to learn to paint...maybe that will be a mortgage free goal , long way off though..
    Mortgage Feb '13 £200000, end 2038. Aiming for before March 2025 (crunched to 2034)
    January 16 £182800 : minimum £360 OP but needs to be £600 to achieve 2025
    Current mortgage £168060
    Car loan finished oct 16
    h@lifax CC £5360 0% until May 2018.. will pay minimum for now, slow stooze
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Sep 16, 10:27 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    your paintings are stunning, thank you for the link,

I'm more crafty than arty i would say, Knit, sew, build things I would love to learn to paint...maybe that will be a mortgage free goal , long way off though..
    Originally posted by Moneyfordreams
    Aw shucks Thank you.

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 12th Sep 16, 10:33 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Where did that day go?
    Today has just flown by. I have:
    • got a load of washing dry on the line
    • made a dent in the ironing pile
    • cooked Sweetcorn & Haddock Chowder for lunch. It nearly didn't make it to the table though as we had a power cut part way through the cooking of it
    • popped into the village to post a Fleabay item
    • cleaned our bedroom. Nice clean sheets to look forward to tonight
    • made Squash & Coconut Curry for supper but used Pattipan rather than Butternut and Kale rather than Spinach because that's what I had in the fridge. It turned out ok but I think Butternut would have worked better.

Went to Lindy Hop for the second time tonight. Had to take it really carefully though as toe is rather painful today. It is still the size of a table grape

Night, night all

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Sep 16, 9:32 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Foraging in Action
    Spent most of the day at work yesterday. Did a little extra as visitors started arriving just as I was due to leave.

We had the leftover Squash & Coconut Curry for supper with naan bread. I added more seasoning, some coriander and served it with yogurt and that pepped it up a bit. We ate in the garden as it was such a beautiful warm evening and opened a bottle of red just because. Two cases of Avios wine had arrived so we had to quality check it of course. Mr F does so much travel now that we haven't had to buy any wine at all this year

Went for a walk around the country lanes after and foraged some blackberries and rose hips. We remembered some of the plants from our foraging course and were able to identify them

Looks set to be a nice day again today. I have some painting planned

Enjoy the sunshine if you have it

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 14th Sep 16, 10:35 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    What housework?
    I neglected my chores today for painting My WI is raising funds at the moment and have a stall at the village Farmers' Market at the end of September. They asked for home made produce and crafted items so I pledged a painting. I wanted to get started in plenty of time so had set aside this morning anyway but I got so into things that when I looked at the clock it was 5.30 pm

They are pleased with the result and it should fetch a few pennies for the pot. It's here if you'd like to have a look https://www.facebook.com/BeeGardenArt/photos/a.692970800776393.1073741832.663603263713147/1136179766455492/?type=3&notif_t=like&notif_id=1473871762850844

I did manage to get a bit of paperwork done and rustle up lunch and supper:
    So Mr F won't starve any time soon. Have to feed him up so he's got enough energy - we're off on a little adventure tomorrow

Happy hump day all

Fortune x

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Sep 16, 2:14 AM
    • 44,868 Posts
    • 155,474 Thanks
    beanielou
    I love love love the tulips.
    My favourite flowers.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Sep 16, 8:14 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Enjoy the adventuring.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 16th Sep 16, 7:49 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Adventures
    Mr F and I did a tour of Leeds Castle yesterday on Segways It was such fun. They are surprisingly easy to operate once you get used to them. We were given vouchers for the experience by my god-daughter and her boyfriend -a thank you from when they stayed with us. We saw parts of the grounds we don't usually as they are quite a trek from the Castle and the weather was amazing. We enjoyed it so much we upgraded for a longer tour

We made it a date day and followed with a slap up lunch at a nearby pub. Delicious.

The fun budget has taken a bit of a hammering though.

Popped into the big town after to get Mr F a new pair of trainers and shopped around for new hedge and grass trimmers as Mr F has worn the existing ones out. Couldn't find what we wanted so ordered on-line when we got home and saved a little extra through TCB.

We were so full from lunch we didn't need supper but made do with leftover Apple & Blackberry Crumble

It was a lovely day and we intend to plan more date days like this. It will be important to ring fence some time together if Mr F takes this new job. Still no news on the package yet

The weather hasn't hit yet - it's due to arrive here at about 1.00 pm which is the exact time I'm taking a tour out

Hats and wellies on guys

Fortune x

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Sep 16, 6:59 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 8,682 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Hope you didn't get too wet on the tour. I got drenched just getting small from car to my mums it was only about 5 metres. Loads of children getting soaked on the school run in the unexpected downpour.

They're dragging their heels with the offer aren't they. Hope it's because there are loads of elements and they are busy calculating them all up
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Sep 16, 8:35 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hope you didn't get too wet on the tour. I got drenched just getting small from car to my mums it was only about 5 metres. Loads of children getting soaked on the school run in the unexpected downpour.

They're dragging their heels with the offer aren't they. Hope it's because there are loads of elements and they are busy calculating them all up
    Originally posted by PurpleFairy26
    Hi Purp

It did persist down but my tour were game and I have all the right gear so survived ok.

I wish they'd hurry up with the package - Mr F isn't a patient man

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 17th Sep 16, 8:47 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Soggy
    Took a very soggy tour out yesterday. They were all up for it though and I have wet weather gear so not really an issue. The problems arose because we had two tours booked at the same time and not enough indoor space to accommodate them I had to take my guys up to one of the Estate pubs for the indoor part. It took 15 minutes to get there and was a bit of a drive for them which they weren't expecting. They were great about it though and I gave them extra stuff to compensate.

I'm working all day today and there are similar challenges - three big overlapping tours booked and it's already raining here. Will talk to the others when I get there to see how we can manage things. Counting down to my last tour and can't wait now

Mr F is away at a 4x4 thingy this weekend so I had a night to myself. I did some work on a memoir I've been writing for a competition. Ice cream was involved but nobody needs to know

Have a great weekend everyone

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 19th Sep 16, 10:24 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    No work until Sunday!
    Saturday was, as expected, a day from hell. We did our best but it was so crowded and we had complaints from several people. My commitments are thinning out now so that should help but I am losing the will to live. I'm not working again until Sunday but I think that's going to be a tough day too. Then an easier day on the Monday and, after that, I'm down to one day a week for three weeks. I'm not taking on any more dates now.

Yesterday was a recovery day. I pottered around the house and did some ironing but not much else. Had a chat with the neighbours about their garden plans and was gifted some of their new potatoes

Mr F is off on business again today for a few days so I am keeping out of his way until he leaves to catch his flight.

Hope the week's off to a good start for you

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Sep 16, 8:57 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Wide open week
    So lovely to have the week stretching out ahead of me with no tour interruptions. I have cooked and cleaned and baked and painted and written and I still have two days left before the weekend

My cooking/baking comprised:
    I have started a new painting. This one's for the on-line shop which is very empty at the moment. Tulips again as I so enjoyed the painting I did for the WI. I'm almost finished a new story too. This one's destined for a memoir competition.

Got my hair cut on Tuesday and Mr F returned from his business trip with chocolates so it's a good week so far.

Hope yours is going well too

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 22nd Sep 16, 9:48 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Cancelled! Hoorah!
    I have managed to dodge an extra tour date today and another has been cancelled - hoorah!

Mr F got home a little earlier than expected last night and left a little earlier than expected this morning He's away again tonight but home for the weekend which we've kept free for him so he can have a potter and recover from his adventures.

I have spent the day painting. Here it is - although, now I've seen it on screen, I want to make a few changes to the red tulips in the background https://www.facebook.com/BeeGardenArt/ then it can go into the shop. I am hoping to paint about one picture a week going forward.

Must, must, must get diet and exercise sorted. I have been living off cake and chocolate today and my back has been playing up for a while now

Off to look a the gym timetable...

Fortune x

• Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 23rd Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Urgh
    Woke up feeling rubbish - think it was all the sugar I ate yesterday I've improved as the day's worn on but I'm still feeling a little fragile. That'll teach me.

So slow progress today but I have:
    • done a little more work on the latest painting and put it into the on-line shop
    • written a little more of my latest story
    • delivered the pink tulip painting to the WI for our stall at the Farmers' Market tomorrow
    • picked up a prescription from the village.

Mr F is home this evening and there is leftover spaghetti squash stuffing for tea. I'm going to make it into a pasta sauce. Have taken some puff pastry out of the freezer to make cheese and mushroom pies for Mr F's lunches this weekend as I'm out and about.

It's the weekend peeps! Have fun.

Fortune x

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Oct 16, 7:09 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 8,682 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Just dropping by to say hope you're ok fortune and that mr f offer finally came through. Hope you've been busy with lots of fun stuff. PF.
    CC1 paid off April '16. Debt on 0% card deal ends March '18, so DF date is also March '18, because we'll be saving the rest
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 18th Oct 16, 10:39 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hellooooooo
    Hello everyone. Just popping in to say all is well, I've just been very busy these last weeks.

Mr F has been offered the new role but we are still waiting to see the package so it's not a done deal yet.

I only have 3 dates left in my part-time job before I finished (although they keep trying to book me in for more!)

I have started an on-line 0p£n Univ£r$ity course through Futur£ L£arn. Lots of subjects to choose from and they are all free!

What with the course (creative writing) and my creative writing group projects I am writing a lot. So I suspect writing in my diary could take a hit for a while.

Hope all is well with you guys.

Fortune x

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 27th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Just dropping by to say hello I'd love to do some courses with the O-you but that might have to wait until I am part-time. I love that you fit learning and creativity into your life. When I do I feel so much better for it...
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/OCTOBER 2016=15,327 or 34.5% PAID
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 1st Nov 16, 9:10 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 16,886 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Just dropping by to say hello I'd love to do some courses with the O-you but that might have to wait until I am part-time. I love that you fit learning and creativity into your life. When I do I feel so much better for it...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Hi DIA

lovely to see you. I'm finding the course quite light in terms of time - 3 hours a week max. It is a free course though - I'd have thought the paid for courses, and those leading to qualifications, are much more intense.

I'm much better at keeping my brain fit than my body

Fortune x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

993Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • PPI deadline decision's just been delayed until first quarter of 2017, it was due this year. For free help now go to https://t.co/EqDQvgRZ2K

• RT @juliegroves49: @GMB @MartinSLewis thanks got my soap & glory glam sets which was half price at boots today thanks or all the tips xmas?

• RT @ckrd: @MartinSLewis Just bagged my Soap and Glory Set £30.00 instead of £60, thanks for the reminder in your email. Another one off the?

• Follow Martin