Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    qw3rt7
    Textbroker - Writing for money (not vouchers)
    • 11th Jul 12, 12:31 PM
    Textbroker - Writing for money (not vouchers) 11th Jul 12 at 12:31 PM
    Ok, so i have recommended Textbroker to a few people asking about making extra money, and have found myself typing out the same things, so i thought i would start a thread i can reference in future.

1st i would like to make it clear i am now mainly a textbroker customer (eg i buy content from them, not write it) but i do have an author account and have tried the system from both sides, so am confident it is a good opportunity for those that can write.

1 What is it?
    Textbroker (uk site: http://www.textbroker.co.uk ) is a website where people can order custom articles and written content (eg for their websites, newsletters, sales pages and any other sort of written content). The website takes a fee from the customers, keeps a % and pays the remainder to their authors to write the content.

2 How can i make money from it?
    You can sign up as an author, take a test to determine the quality of your writing (this can be reassessed as you improve), then accept paid jobs from the jobs pool. Provided you follow the description and the client is happy with the job, your account will be credited, and you will get paid via paypal at the end of the week.

Pay level depends on writing quality. You can except jobs up to your quality level, you can except lower quality jobs, but will be paid that lower rate for those jobs.
    A top quality author can make around £15 for one 500 word article, a medium quality author can make around £3.50 for the same. You can also set your own rates if you get a client that likes your work - See here for pay rates:

http://www.textbroker.co.uk/uk/author-rates.php?session=78a803e04c303c2a256772347da15ce0

3 This sounds a bit like a work at home scam i encountered before
    Its not. There are no fees what so ever for an author. This format is familiar for many freelancers in many professions, the scams are copying this format (with inevitable joining fees and inflated earnings promises).

4 Whats in it for textbroker?
    About 30% of the clients money. They are a marketplace and they take a cut, just like eBay, Amazon and many others.

5 What if they shut owning me money?
    They have been around since 2007 (US site, UK is a bit newer, but the same company) and dont look likely to go under anytime soon. They pay weekly, and the minimum payout is around £8, so you can cash out every week if you do a few articles.

6. How many jobs are their available?
    This changes a lot. The higher quality score you can acheive, the more work will be available, but there is a decent supply of work, and its free to use, so a slow week isnt the end of the world.

7. Do i need to pay tax etc
    Yes, you will need to register as self employed. Textbroker do not handle any of that, they just pay into your paypal account. This is beyond the scope of this thread, but there is plenty of info on MSE about it.

Any other questions, just ask.
    Or sign up and post your feedback.

If you are currently doing surveys and writing reviews for a few pence worth of vouchers, give it a go.
Page 60
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 22nd Aug 16, 11:28 AM
    • 21,268 Posts
    • 36,776 Thanks
    SailorSam
    Spam ...........
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
    • NorthofWatford
    • By NorthofWatford 13th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    NorthofWatford
    Textbroker is legit. Why do you say it is spam?
    • MeriCaska
    • By MeriCaska 13th Oct 16, 1:47 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    MeriCaska
    I just want to say Thank You so much for all the information you provide. I have been thinking about becoming a Blogger myself,and am so new to this that I had no clue there were ways to make money from it,I just enjoy writing and have always wanted to since I was a little girl.
    • Frognostic
    • By Frognostic 18th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frognostic
    It's been dead today in the open orders pool, worse than usual.
    • Frognostic
    • By Frognostic 26th Oct 16, 11:23 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Frognostic
    I've had two revision requests in the space of week with one client accusing me of using an article spinner (I'd done no such thing) and saying they wanted to reject it but didn't know how, which is a new record for me. I put the latter client on my blacklist, wanted to tell them where to go but thought better of it.

I'm concerned that despite their criticisms they'll take the article and publish it anyway, without paying me.

I need to find my way out of content mill drudgery but I just can't figure out how, despite all the google searches and blog articles I've read about it.
    Last edited by Frognostic; 26-10-2016 at 11:36 PM.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 25th Feb 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Just wondering is anyone still using textbroker? I stopped for a while as busy with other stuff and there seemed to be little work, but started again this week and had quite a few jobs through.

Like the previous poster I never managed the jump from the content mills to completely freelance poster, but it's just nice to get paid for writing and the extra cash is definitely handy.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 25th Feb 17, 11:57 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    tensandunits
    Many years ago I had an account on there, but I haven't visited the site for ages. I wonder if it's worth re-registering..

When I was on there I found that there wasn't much work available for me, as I hadn't reached the higher levels/grades that they give you. But then I couldn't progress to the higher levels because I hadn't been given any work! Vicious circle really.
    • Bmth100
    • By Bmth100 25th Feb 17, 12:24 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    Bmth100
    I've been using Textbroker on and off since 2011 and it's not as good as it used to be, that's for sure.

At university, in 2012, I was part of a group for eBay buying guides and made approximately 2,500 Euros in the space of a few months. It helped with university living costs, that's for sure! However, I've not seen anything beyond 10-15 Euros in quite a long time, short of a 100 Euro article I managed to snag a few months ago.

I use two content mills at the moment; Textbroker and Upwork. Upwork is good for fairly-paid work (recently completed a $3,500 contract in the space of 3 ish months) , but the drawback is that you have to win the contracts. On the flipside, Textbroker lets you pick up whatever you want, but it's not well paid.

I find that Textbroker is best if you spend a few spare minutes here and there writing 500-600 words (approx. 6-7 Euros at 4 star rating). By doing it regularly, you slowly build up a reasonable balance, which I'm using to chip away extra from credit cards.

I'm interested to know if either of you use any other freelancing platforms? I know there are tonnes of reviews out there, but sifting through the !!!! and the good is difficult. I'd like to branch out to a third if possible.

Like you, frognostic & alibobsy, I would like to make the leap to not using content mills, but it's very difficult. Thankfully, a friend of a friend has given me a £120 per week gig for his blog, but I don't know how to build a presence online and go solo..
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 25th Feb 17, 12:42 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Robinette
    I can highly recommend a company that has not been mentioned, but am not sure whether I am allowed to? I have no connection to the company other than being a very happy freelance editor. I am not going to pretend the money is great, but the owner, writers, clients and systems are.
    • Bmth100
    • By Bmth100 25th Feb 17, 12:50 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    Bmth100
    I can highly recommend a company that has not been mentioned, but am not sure whether I am allowed to? I have no connection to the company other than being a very happy freelance editor. I am not going to pretend the money is great, but the owner, writers, clients and systems are.
    Originally posted by Robinette

Not sure if you can mention it (would've thought so, since we're openly talking about TB?) but drop me a PM if you can!

Thanks
    • tensandunits
    • By tensandunits 25th Feb 17, 1:09 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    tensandunits
    me too, if you don't mind, Robinette!
    • cazkins
    • By cazkins 25th Feb 17, 2:18 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    cazkins
    Would be very grateful if you could let me know too (unless you're able to post it up) - Textbroker hasn't been great for me so would be keen to see what else is available
    ... Just Keep Swimming ...
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 1st Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    fewgroats
    Where do these clients get their ideas for SEO from? Why would repeating a phrase 35 times work?
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 150/300
    • Bmth100
    • By Bmth100 6th Mar 17, 12:19 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    Bmth100
    Pleasantly surprised to have finally been made a 5-Star!
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 9th Mar 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Would love any recommendations here as well Robinette

I recently registered for two other sites that seem to get good reviews, but so far haven't had any work from either lol. They are Zerys and One space, but both seem to be more US based.

Ali x
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 10th Mar 17, 10:39 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Thanks Robinette the company look interesting and being UK based maybe more my cup of tea. Have registered so will see if they accept me and how my trial piece goes.

TY Ali x
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 12th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Robinette
    So far so good, great, personal customer service interaction by email so far. Accepted quickly on my application and completed the trail piece today. Wish me luck!

Ali x
    • Robinette
    • By Robinette 12th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    Robinette
    Robinette
    So far so good, great, personal customer service interaction by email so far. Accepted quickly on my application and completed the trail piece today. Wish me luck!

Ali x
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    Good luck!! This is what I meant by 'a breath of fresh air' - a company that is always accessible and genuinely cares about its freelancers. Other companies should take note!
    • cazkins
    • By cazkins 12th Mar 17, 12:50 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    cazkins
    Would you be able to pop me a message with the company at all Robinette? Would be much appreciated!
    ... Just Keep Swimming ...
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 13th Mar 17, 10:42 AM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 16,312 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Good luck!! This is what I meant by 'a breath of fresh air' - a company that is always accessible and genuinely cares about its freelancers. Other companies should take note!
    The article I was given for my trial is exactly the type I enjoy writing. I love that they ask for a full list of subjects/type of things you like to write and the trial was one of my faves. Not sure I should enjoy writing that much lol.

Waiting for it to be reviewed now

Ali x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

535Posts Today

4,796Users online

Martin's Twitter