Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Preparedness for when the SHTF (Page 504)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Preparedness for when the SHTF
Views: 1,292,604
# 10061
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 6:01 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Thanked 27,109 Times in 3,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyQueen View Post
Errm, what's a shabbatt candle?
It's a candle lit to celebrate Shabbat (or Shabbos in Yiddish), the Jewish day of rest.

2 should be lit, although some people light more, for various reasons.

Quote:
Will they be in all ASDAs do you think?
The Votive Candles?

Should be, as they're listed on the Asda website.
I gave up smoking, drinking and sex - It was the worst 15 minutes of my life.

ISA Deposits: 610

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 724-50
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bedsit Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10062
MrsLurcherwalker
Old 12-05-2013, 6:07 PM

Thanked 66,834 Times in 4,685 Posts

Have just looked on Fleabay and they have packs of 50 x 10 hour burning time tealights for around 10.
Und die Seele unbewacht will in freien Fluegen schweben, um im Zauberkreis der Nacht tief und tausendfach zu leben -
And my unfettered soul wishes to soar up freely into night's magic sphere to live there deeply and thousandfold.
(Herman Hesse)
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MrsLurcherwalker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10063
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine241 View Post
where do they put it in Asda when in stock?I have never seen it in our local one, is it called something specific?
It's in the Barbecue aisle, and it's named EkoFuel.

It's designed for use in Bio-Ethanol Fireplaces.

It also works in spirit stoves, used by backpackers, and it is cheaper and cleaner than Methylated Spirits.

Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 12-05-2013 at 6:28 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bedsit Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10064
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 6:27 PM

The only downside I find with tealights (and I've nothing against them as emergency lighting - I have 500 of the small ones in my preppers stores), is that, as they burn down, more and more light is directed at the ceiling (hence less in a useful direction), by the metal cup.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bedsit Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10065
MrsLurcherwalker
Old 12-05-2013, 6:41 PM

I take them out of the metal cup and put them into a glass votive holder, stand that in front of a mirror and you have light!
Und die Seele unbewacht will in freien Fluegen schweben, um im Zauberkreis der Nacht tief und tausendfach zu leben -
And my unfettered soul wishes to soar up freely into night's magic sphere to live there deeply and thousandfold.
(Herman Hesse)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MrsLurcherwalker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10066
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 7:22 PM

Do they not melt completely, and coat the inside with wax?

# 10067
Perplexed Pineapple
Old 12-05-2013, 7:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanked 3,836 Times in 235 Posts

Talking of phones, a lot of people have a landline phone that relies on an external power supply - to power a answering machine or a mobile handset. I think it's worth hanging on to an analogue phone if you have one, it will run off the trickle of power in the phone line even when the electiricty supply is down.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Perplexed Pineapple For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10068
GreyQueen
Old 12-05-2013, 8:06 PM

Thanked 89,038 Times in 5,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexed Pineapple View Post
Talking of phones, a lot of people have a landline phone that relies on an external power supply - to power a answering machine or a mobile handset. I think it's worth hanging on to an analogue phone if you have one, it will run off the trickle of power in the phone line even when the electiricty supply is down.
I've seen this covered in a book on prepping before. I have a landline and have always chosen to have an old-style phone. Being as my flat is tiny, it's not like I'm going to be far from the phone wherever I am, it won't be more than 4 metres from me at maximum.

I do have the answerphone element of the fixed phone plugged into the power supply, which obviously wouldn't work in a powercut, but the landline should still function.

My parents have had one of those wretched disconnected phones for years and it has been getting progressively more and more unreliable, not holding it's charge etc. Finally died and is being temporarily replaced by the spare analogue phone. I also have a spare one, it was borrowed from a pal to test whether a fault was on the line or in the physical phone and when I went to give it back, she urged me to keep it.

A small analogue phone doesn't cost much nor does it take up much room.

It is getting harder to buy them with answerphones, tho. I appreciate you can use answerphone services but I'm forgetful and like something as basic a wee red flashing light on the phone to tell me I have a message.

Mine is delightfully retro looking except it has a digi display and what appear at first glance to be dialling fingerholes are actually buttons. I was going to get you a piccie off the Arg0s site but it's down for improvements atm..........
Our life is frittered away by detail.....simplify, simplify.
Henry David Thoreau

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z
member # 5 Can-do Attitude

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to GreyQueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10069
MrsLurcherwalker
Old 12-05-2013, 8:29 PM

Yes they do, but I can wash them out before putting in the next one, it isn't hard to do.
(Herman Hesse)
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrsLurcherwalker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10070
maryb
Old 12-05-2013, 9:02 PM

Thanked 24,850 Times in 1,977 Posts

Quote:

I've been having a weekend of mixed chores and reading, have my nose in James Kunstler's The Long Emergency, which is one of the best books about what will happen as we head past Peak Oil. It's edge-of-the-seat reading, even though it's a concept I'm well-familiar with through blogs like thearchdruidreport and 22billionenergyslaves among other readings both on and offline.

It's frightening to understand that our present population levels, both in this country and all over the world, are only sustained by oil. And that when the oil runs low so will our food supply, and all the other things we rely on.
GQ you may be interested in James Kunstler's blog which is good read (though not for those easily offended by occasional VERY bad language)

http://www.kunstler.com/blog/
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to maryb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10071
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLurcherwalker View Post
Yes they do, but I can wash them out before putting in the next one
How do you wash out wax

It's waterproof.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bedsit Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10072
craigywv
Old 12-05-2013, 9:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 20,402 Times in 1,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedsit Bob View Post
How do you wash out wax

It's waterproof.
your not daft you know what she means BOB
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to craigywv For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10073
craigywv
Old 12-05-2013, 9:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

free listing on fleabay si i have been busy getting ridof a load of sons clothing, seems me and oh can hold onto our clothing for yearsssssssssss but boy is growing at a great speed. whichmakes me think if tshtf big time and clothing etc came in short supp;y i would have to get the old tread singer out and adapt his daddys clothes to fit him, i am finding myself NOT throwing out ANYTHING clothes/fabric wise. meant to sayhello all got a head cold feel carp. weather on and off here but have noticed garden,veg has just all gone green and lush...good to see. xxx
C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to craigywv For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10074
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigywv View Post
your not daft you know what she means BOB
Actually, I don't know what she means.

The only way I could think of getting wax out of a glass, would be to melt it out, which would be rather dodgy work.

Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 13-05-2013 at 8:14 AM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bedsit Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10075
The Dragon
Old 12-05-2013, 9:32 PM

Thanked 40,563 Times in 8,548 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to The Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedsit Bob View Post
Actually, I don't know what she means.

The only way I could think of getting wax out if a glass, would be to melt it out, which would be rather dodgy work.
Warm water gradually melts it and you and pour it onto kitchen paper and bin it
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
Every Penny's a Prisoner
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The Dragon For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10076
craigywv
Old 12-05-2013, 9:37 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

do what i do poke it out then warm water and fairy liquid and a spongy cleaner with rough edge and give it a good rubbing it comes off clean enough
# 10077
Bedsit Bob
Old 12-05-2013, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigywv View Post
but boy is growing at a great speed. which makes me think if tshtf big time and clothing etc. came in short supply I would have to get the old tread singer out and adapt his daddy's clothes to fit him
We were so poor when I was a kid, my parents used to get my school clothes from the Army surplus shop.

Nothing wrong with that you might say, but do you realise how badly bullied you get, going school dressed as a Japanese sniper.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bedsit Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10078
craigywv
Old 12-05-2013, 9:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

hahahahahaha could be worse last timei in army surplus store it was the russian army uniform that was the whole go. think social services might be knocking on my door if i sent 9 yr old to school dressed like that or something from Hitler youthmovement.dont think times are quite so bad yet lol age 9-10 not that short supply.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to craigywv For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10079
pineapple
Old 12-05-2013, 9:56 PM

Location: On a hillside oop North. Up in Bronte Country tha knows...
Thanked 19,583 Times in 2,900 Posts

Quote:
I have a landline and have always chosen to have an old-style phone. Being as my flat is tiny, it's not like I'm going to be far from the phone wherever I am, it won't be more than 4 metres from me at maximum.
I replaced my cordless DECT phone with an old style one after reading reports of possible health hazards.
http://www.tetrawatch.net/science/dect.php
http://www.mastsanity.org/info-guides-/dect-guide.html
However every now and then I think about looking for one of the 'low radiation' models as I do find the fixed lines an inconvenience - especially when I am hanging on and stuck near the phone listening to incessant music and 'Your call is important to us and will be answered shortly' while waiting for a response!

Last edited by pineapple; 12-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pineapple For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10080
dandy-candy
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanked 4,113 Times in 728 Posts
Default Really worrying

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...5d93487a88.271

I hadn't heard of this until today. Death rate is 3 out of 5. There are also cases in France.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dandy-candy For This Useful Post: Show me >>