Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 504
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 6:01 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Errm, what's a shabbatt candle?
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    It's a candle lit to celebrate Shabbat (or Shabbos in Yiddish), the Jewish day of rest.

2 should be lit, although some people light more, for various reasons.

Will they be in all ASDAs do you think?
    The Votive Candles?

Should be, as they're listed on the Asda website.
    I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

ISA Deposits: 600

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - 870
  • MrsLurcherwalker
    Have just looked on Fleabay and they have packs of 50 x 10 hour burning time tealights for around 10.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined". Henry David Thoreau.

Life is not a matter of chance.....it is a matter of choice!

If not us, who? If not now, when? JFK
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 6:17 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    where do they put it in Asda when in stock?I have never seen it in our local one, is it called something specific?
    Originally posted by elaine241
    It's in the Barbecue aisle, and it's named EkoFuel.

It's designed for use in Bio-Ethanol Fireplaces.

It also works in spirit stoves, used by backpackers, and it is cheaper and cleaner than Methylated Spirits.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 12-05-2013 at 6:28 PM.
    I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 6:27 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    The only downside I find with tealights (and I've nothing against them as emergency lighting - I have 500 of the small ones in my preppers stores), is that, as they burn down, more and more light is directed at the ceiling (hence less in a useful direction), by the metal cup.

• MrsLurcherwalker
    I take them out of the metal cup and put them into a glass votive holder, stand that in front of a mirror and you have light!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined". Henry David Thoreau.

• Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 7:22 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Do they not melt completely, and coat the inside with wax?

• Perplexed Pineapple
    Talking of phones, a lot of people have a landline phone that relies on an external power supply - to power a answering machine or a mobile handset. I think it's worth hanging on to an analogue phone if you have one, it will run off the trickle of power in the phone line even when the electiricty supply is down.
  • GreyQueen
    Talking of phones, a lot of people have a landline phone that relies on an external power supply - to power a answering machine or a mobile handset. I think it's worth hanging on to an analogue phone if you have one, it will run off the trickle of power in the phone line even when the electiricty supply is down.
    Originally posted by Perplexed Pineapple
    I've seen this covered in a book on prepping before. I have a landline and have always chosen to have an old-style phone. Being as my flat is tiny, it's not like I'm going to be far from the phone wherever I am, it won't be more than 4 metres from me at maximum.

I do have the answerphone element of the fixed phone plugged into the power supply, which obviously wouldn't work in a powercut, but the landline should still function.

My parents have had one of those wretched disconnected phones for years and it has been getting progressively more and more unreliable, not holding it's charge etc. Finally died and is being temporarily replaced by the spare analogue phone. I also have a spare one, it was borrowed from a pal to test whether a fault was on the line or in the physical phone and when I went to give it back, she urged me to keep it.

A small analogue phone doesn't cost much nor does it take up much room.

It is getting harder to buy them with answerphones, tho. I appreciate you can use answerphone services but I'm forgetful and like something as basic a wee red flashing light on the phone to tell me I have a message.

Mine is delightfully retro looking except it has a digi display and what appear at first glance to be dialling fingerholes are actually buttons. I was going to get you a piccie off the Arg0s site but it's down for improvements atm..........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z
    member # 5 Can-do Attitude

• MrsLurcherwalker
    Yes they do, but I can wash them out before putting in the next one, it isn't hard to do.

• maryb

I've been having a weekend of mixed chores and reading, have my nose in James Kunstler's The Long Emergency, which is one of the best books about what will happen as we head past Peak Oil. It's edge-of-the-seat reading, even though it's a concept I'm well-familiar with through blogs like thearchdruidreport and 22billionenergyslaves among other readings both on and offline.

It's frightening to understand that our present population levels, both in this country and all over the world, are only sustained by oil. And that when the oil runs low so will our food supply, and all the other things we rely on.
    GQ you may be interested in James Kunstler's blog which is good read (though not for those easily offended by occasional VERY bad language)

http://www.kunstler.com/blog/
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 9:12 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    Yes they do, but I can wash them out before putting in the next one
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    How do you wash out wax

It's waterproof.

• craigywv
    How do you wash out wax

It's waterproof.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    your not daft you know what she means BOB
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
  • craigywv
    free listing on fleabay si i have been busy getting ridof a load of sons clothing, seems me and oh can hold onto our clothing for yearsssssssssss but boy is growing at a great speed. whichmakes me think if tshtf big time and clothing etc came in short supp;y i would have to get the old tread singer out and adapt his daddys clothes to fit him, i am finding myself NOT throwing out ANYTHING clothes/fabric wise. meant to sayhello all got a head cold feel carp. weather on and off here but have noticed garden,veg has just all gone green and lush...good to see. xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 9:28 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    your not daft you know what she means BOB
    Originally posted by craigywv
    Actually, I don't know what she means.

The only way I could think of getting wax out of a glass, would be to melt it out, which would be rather dodgy work.
    Last edited by Bedsit Bob; 13-05-2013 at 8:14 AM.

• The Dragon
    Actually, I don't know what she means.

The only way I could think of getting wax out if a glass, would be to melt it out, which would be rather dodgy work.
    Originally posted by Bedsit Bob
    Warm water gradually melts it and you and pour it onto kitchen paper and bin it
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with catsup
    NSD 15/20, OS WL 21-6 (4) C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z #44 Twisted Firestarter, VSP #57 - 39.43
    Every Penny's a Prisoner
  • craigywv
    do what i do poke it out then warm water and fairy liquid and a spongy cleaner with rough edge and give it a good rubbing it comes off clean enough
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 12th May 13, 9:38 PM
    • 7,625 Posts
    • 40,340 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    but boy is growing at a great speed. which makes me think if tshtf big time and clothing etc. came in short supply I would have to get the old tread singer out and adapt his daddy's clothes to fit him
    Originally posted by craigywv
    We were so poor when I was a kid, my parents used to get my school clothes from the Army surplus shop.

Nothing wrong with that you might say, but do you realise how badly bullied you get, going school dressed as a Japanese sniper.

• craigywv
    hahahahahaha could be worse last timei in army surplus store it was the russian army uniform that was the whole go. think social services might be knocking on my door if i sent 9 yr old to school dressed like that or something from Hitler youthmovement.dont think times are quite so bad yet lol age 9-10 not that short supply.
  • pineapple
    I have a landline and have always chosen to have an old-style phone. Being as my flat is tiny, it's not like I'm going to be far from the phone wherever I am, it won't be more than 4 metres from me at maximum.
    I replaced my cordless DECT phone with an old style one after reading reports of possible health hazards.
    http://www.tetrawatch.net/science/dect.php
    http://www.mastsanity.org/info-guides-/dect-guide.html
    However every now and then I think about looking for one of the 'low radiation' models as I do find the fixed lines an inconvenience - especially when I am hanging on and stuck near the phone listening to incessant music and 'Your call is important to us and will be answered shortly' while waiting for a response!
    Last edited by pineapple; 12-05-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th May 13, 10:42 PM
    • 1,412 Posts
    • 6,700 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Really worrying
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gfBNLPJ1-QZhS5sxMOzF2qJ6tQbQ?docId=CNG.ededc7b37edaf19e35bb be5d93487a88.271

I hadn't heard of this until today. Death rate is 3 out of 5. There are also cases in France.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

2,007Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• RT @MoneySavingExp: If you're affected by the #HSBC payments glitch, here's what you need to do (more to follow, when we get it): http://t.?

• Follow Martin