Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Preparedness for when the SHTF (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Preparedness for when the SHTF
Views: 1,706,661
# 21
empressemma
Old 13-07-2012, 7:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Our wind up torch was from ikea! And very good it is too

The website 72hours.org is very good for advice on go-bags, and what to do in different situations. It's designed for people in the San Francisco area, but the advice is relevant to everywhere really.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to empressemma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
vanoonoo
Old 13-07-2012, 8:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlenic View Post
I am not sure I understand why we need to have the bags? natural disaters? car broken down in snow?
incase you have to evacuate from home or if you are somewhere other than home and cant get home. if theres a gas leak whilst you're out shopping or at home in the middle of the night and youre given 5 mins to get out of the area you would want to be able to grab a bag a go and it would be good to know that the bag contained everything you might need to keep you as comfortable as possible for the next couple of days. that or if the zombies come ...
Blah
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 23
Fruball
Old 13-07-2012, 8:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Love the other term for the BugOutBag, Grab and Go Bag GAG Bag
Spammers and Trolls, BORE OFF. You impress no-one.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fruball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 24
vanoonoo
Old 13-07-2012, 8:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
love threads like this, esp the links to various sites

So, thanks x
you're welcome! thanks for posting - I will link in some of the other useful threads too when I can spend a bit more time and edit the links properly - too tired to mess with html tonight!
Blah
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
vanoonoo
Old 13-07-2012, 8:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by empressemma View Post
Our wind up torch was from ikea! And very good it is too

The website 72hours.org is very good for advice on go-bags, and what to do in different situations. It's designed for people in the San Francisco area, but the advice is relevant to everywhere really.
two great resource empressemma - brilliant! thankyou! had no idea that ikea had those funky torches and not seen that 72 hours.org site - might be that long before I am back here and I now need to go and read through it!
Blah
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 26
vanoonoo
Old 13-07-2012, 8:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal View Post
Love the other term for the BugOutBag, Grab and Go Bag GAG Bag
LOL! perhaps that's what us oldstylers should call ours - the smell of mothballs may well make us GAG when the time comes to use them
Blah
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
vanoonoo
Old 13-07-2012, 8:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.e.j. View Post
Thanks, I think I will keep an eye out for a wind-up lantern. I first read about them when reading The Moneyless Man by Mark Boyle. He was living off-grid, and used one at night to read by. Actually the book might be of interest to people on here, not for going 'moneyless' but there's lots of ideas in there for spending as little as possible and living sustainably.
I've popped a link to the book on amazon - other booksellers are available folks! thank you j.e.j.
Blah
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 28
rising from the ashes
Old 13-07-2012, 8:40 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ohhhhh I live within reasonable distance of a nuclear power station and every now & then think *what if*

I know what I'd need to take to evacuate somewhere - the problem is that I'd need a trailer or something to put just the pets & their stuff in, let alone mine - it just won't fit in Dinky (aptly named & much loved but very teeeny car!):

2 cats - in separate carriers (one takes up the whole front seat)
1 dog - who takes up the whole back seat (would have to try to squash 2nd cat on there somewhere too)
cat litter tray
cat litter (could put an unopened bag in the litter tray I guess)
cat food / bowls (boxes would take up the whole boot!)
dog food / bowls (mmmmm run out of room already!)
dog bed (maybe not essential but) ....

You might laugh - but as long as I go them & all their stuff in and could grab my medications .... I'd be reasonably happy.

ETA loving the 72hour.org site ..... thanks for that!
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
CCP claim success!

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
vanoonoo
Old 13-07-2012, 8:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

you have my sympathy - I have a bulldog, two cats, a husband of 6'2" and my car is a mini!!!
Blah
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to vanoonoo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
Gigervamp
Old 13-07-2012, 9:07 PM

I'd never fit our lab, 2 cats, 40ish chickens and 3 ducks into our car!
Living the "good life". Got chickens and ducks.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Gigervamp For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
SammyD
Old 14-07-2012, 5:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Last year we had a real SHTF day - the earthquakes in Christchurch New Zealand. Fortunately, that is unlikely to happen in the UK, but having had no water, no power, no flushing toilet for days/weeks, being stranded in a multistory building with collapsed stairs and then walking 15 miles home (parking building with car in it collapsed) my practical recommendations are:

1. Never let car get less than half full of petrol - no electricity means no petrol pumps work and if they are, everyone wants it
2. Always have cash - you might not be able to get any for a while.
3. Torch, battery radio and spare batteries, AND a wind up radio/torch as well.
4. Keep walking shoes at work, and in the car, as well as warm clothing and water (think about transport disruptions).
5. Store cupboard - keep water, tins and an opener and some high calorie food like chocolate (although it is quite hard to keep it there in my house...)
6. Large bin bags, and one of those large, outdoor rubbish bins (plastic) - you can make an outdoor toilet out of these if needed. Kitty litter is also useful in that regard.
7. Also keep hand gel and baby wipes - prevents you feeling completely manky.
8. Know where medication is for all members of the family and keep plenty of pet food on hand, as well as the file of important docs (birth certificates, insurance details etc).
9. Have a plan B and C with all members of family. EG which way will you travel between home and work in the event of an emergency.
10. Do not count on having mobile coverage - do not ring, send a text - it is much more likely to get through eventually and uses less battery. Keep your mobile charged and know where it is.
11. Keep a torch by your bed. Know where your shoes are. Our first earthquake was a 7 magnitude at 4.35am - it is amazing in the pitch black what you trip over, and what you cant find.

Hopefully, you won't ever need any of it, but you really will be grateful if the worst does happen.
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to SammyD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
Popperwell
Old 14-07-2012, 5:26 AM

Thank you Sammy D,
Good post, hope you and your family are safe and well.

What you say is common sense and works here too.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
Mad-Frog
Old 14-07-2012, 9:51 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoonoo View Post
this is what got me thinking - cross posting sorry but thanks to pugsley
I cannot imagine any scenario why you would have to have a bag containing all that video entails anytime in the UK

The only way anyone here would have to leave their house would be due to flooding in my opinion. Gas leaks would only involve a few hours at the most and would only affect a few houses in any one area, personally I would go to a persons house not affected to go to a hotel ... or the pub

Electricity going off again would not last more than a few hours and some candles and a torch would suffice. I would play on my iPad personally if no TV etc

We don't have earthquakes that devastate houses, nor hurricanes or twisters etc we are lucky compared to some Countries.

Seriously I don't see any need to panic or get bug out bags in the making. A blanket in the car, a torch and some spare batteries would see most of us through any minor crisis, being snowed in is exaggerated again in my opinion it might not be pleasant to go outside and trudge through thick snow but rarely are roads impassible unless in remote areas

I would recommend a head torch and a spare battery, when we were camping it was much easier to put up/down tents in the dark, cook food, find stuff in bags etc with a head torch than the wind up torch we took with us.

Last edited by Mad-Frog; 14-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Frog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
SammyD
Old 14-07-2012, 10:31 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Mad-Frog, you are right, the UK is lucky in that earthquakes and tornadoes are unlikely. But I did have to walk a very long way home after the disruptions with the bombings in 2005 when I worked in the City. And my father in law is always on about the dreadful snow storms when he was a lad (not sure exactly when - prob the 1960's) where they opened the door and the snow was over it - he is from Dorset. And it also pays to think when you are on holiday - where there are other potential disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis etc. Crikey, I am a right ray of sunshine....

And thank you Popperwell, yes, we are all ok - house not too badly damaged, a new workplace, and a whole City Centre to rebuild.

Last edited by SammyD; 14-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to SammyD For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
Mad-Frog
Old 14-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanoonoo View Post
this is what got me thinking - cross posting sorry but thanks to pugsley
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyD View Post
Mad-Frog, you are right, the UK is lucky in that earthquakes and tornadoes are unlikely. But I did have to walk a very long way home after the disruptions with the bombings in 2005 when I worked in the City. And my father in law is always on about the dreadful snow storms when he was a lad (not sure exactly when - prob the 1960's) where they opened the door and the snow was over it - he is from Dorset. And it also pays to think when you are on holiday - where there are other potential disasters like earthquakes, tsunamis etc. Crikey, I am a right ray of sunshine....

And thank you Popperwell, yes, we are all ok - house not too badly damaged, a new workplace, and a whole City Centre to rebuild.
Sammy I agree with you, the danger of you being caught up in something terrible would apply outside your home making an emergency bug out bag irrelevant. I hope you didn't witness anything too traumatic on that dreadful day!

When on holiday in the Indian ocean I did look to see where I would go if a tsunami struck, thankful that we are all now aware of that danger but a bit sad that so many lost their lives because we all were never taught anything about the danger

I must have missed your post why is your city centre being rebuilt? Sorry no offence meant by that question
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Frog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 36
Popperwell
Old 14-07-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyD View Post

Only once have I felt an Earth Tremour and that rumbling sound, I was not really sure what had happened, I had just gone to bed but had the radio on and someone in London said the chairs and table had moved in the studio and I realised that's what I had experienced slightly. I was 250 miles from the capital. I forget where it was centred. Mum slept through it as i think I would have if I had not just got into bed...
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 37
Possession
Old 14-07-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Frog View Post
Sammy I agree with you, the danger of you being caught up in something terrible would apply outside your home making an emergency bug out bag irrelevant. I hope you didn't witness anything too traumatic on that dreadful day!

When on holiday in the Indian ocean I did look to see where I would go if a tsunami struck, thankful that we are all now aware of that danger but a bit sad that so many lost their lives because we all were never taught anything about the danger

I must have missed your post why is your city centre being rebuilt? Sorry no offence meant by that question
If sammyD is in Christchurch they have to rebuild after 2 bad earthquakes.
I lived in Japan for 3 years so am used to earthquakes, and people there are told to have an emergency bag - not everyone does of course, but many more people than here.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Possession For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 38
Mad-Frog
Old 14-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Sammy sorry I realise you mentioned New Zealand as My Grand parents lived in Christchurch UK I got a bit confused (it doesn't take much )
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mad-Frog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 39
Fruball
Old 14-07-2012, 1:45 PM

Either our local MrT is having a problem getting stock or people are buying to store.

Lots of shelves empty or very low, even the freezers!!!

Broccoli is labelled as from Poland and is expensive. The cheap tinned potatoes were all gone and so had all the cheap value kidney beans and the brand up from that. No tinned tomato soup at all and no chicken pies in the freezer section whatsoever.

All a bit worrying if you ask me.
Spammers and Trolls, BORE OFF. You impress no-one.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fruball For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 40
Popperwell
Old 14-07-2012, 2:05 PM

Something is going on...now the only real way I could guage would be comparing my Tesco's with others in the group or rivals in the vacinity. I sometimes think mine is too small or some sections are for certain products...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Popperwell For This Useful Post: Show me >>