Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Lemta
    Disability Living Allowance overpayment 8000 HELP!!!
    • 19th Mar 07, 11:25 AM
    Disability Living Allowance overpayment 8000 HELP!!! 19th Mar 07 at 11:25 AM
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could advice me what to do...

My mum went abroad on holiday (she suffers from parkinson's disease, Chronic athritis & depression) but her illness became worse and was unable to return to the UK due to illness. I did inform DWP about this and they stopped her Pension Credit but not the Disability Living Allowance. I just assumed that she was entitled to it that's why they didn't stop it. Now (after almost 3 years) she has come back to the UK, I have again informed DWP. Couple of days ago DLA sent her a letter to say that they overpaid her by 8000 as she shouldn't have been paid whilst abroad!!

My question is: is my mum entitled to DLA if she is unable to return to UK because of illness? What other options does she have in terms of reducing this debt?

My mum is unable to deal with her affairs due to illness so I am trying to sort this out for her. Thanks again if anyone can help...
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,866Posts Today

8,197Users online

Martin's Twitter