Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > What time do you let your children out in the mor... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What time do you let your children out in the morning?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,748
# 1
LunaLady
Old 01-07-2012, 8:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default What time do you let your children out in the morning?

Our garden backs onto the people behind us, and we have neighbours either side in our terrace.

DS2 would be out in the garden at 6am if I let him, but he is loud so I keep him in, but what time do you think is reasonable for him to go out in the garden to play?
SPC #1813
Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LunaLady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Caroline_a
Old 01-07-2012, 8:24 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If he can play quietly without disturbing anyone I don't think that 6am is too early - its when you have kids screaming and shouting with noisy toys when it becomes a problem!, Why can't you just insist that if he is noisy then he comes in?
# 3
HeatherintheHills
Old 01-07-2012, 8:27 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

On a Sunday? Not before 9am.

I respect your child's right to play outside. However I also think that ensuring neighbours aren't disturbed too early, on what may be the only day of the week they can catch up on sleep, deserves equal respect.

Could you take him for a long walk to burn off some of his energy?
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to HeatherintheHills For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
phil_kirsty
Old 01-07-2012, 8:31 AM
MoneySaving Convert

We have a lot of inconsiderate neighbours around us that play loud music etc but we arnt like them so they tend to go out at a reasonable 9am
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phil_kirsty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
LunaLady
Old 01-07-2012, 8:31 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Long walk a no-go as DS1 and DD are still in bed.

DS2 has LD so no concept of being noisy or being told that he can go out if he is quiet etc. I dont normally let him out until 9am and at the moment he is being noisy in the dining room with his dino run.
SPC #1813
Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LunaLady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
skintchick
Old 01-07-2012, 9:11 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to skintchick

My neighbour's little girl is out at 7 am and she whines and cries and her mum 'talks' to her from the house so basically shouting down the garden and it drives me nuts as we are still in bed cos our (same age) DD doesn't get up that early.

I say not before 9 any day of the week. Children don't know how to be quiet when they play.
DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to skintchick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
balletshoes
Old 01-07-2012, 9:25 AM

My DD wouldn't know 6am if it bit her on the bum, she's never been an early riser. But I'd agree with the concensus, 9am sounds reasonable to me, maybe a little before if the weather is particularly nice.
# 8
RubyRue
Old 01-07-2012, 9:26 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I used to have neighbours who let their children out as soon as it got light, drove me nuts, especially when they got a trampoline!

As Heatherinthehills said, the weekend is the only time when I don't have to get up at 5 so it wasn't nice getting woken up by screaming and shouting with the children playing at 6am. I'd go with 9 aswell.
The Internet is a wonderful thing, don't let Hollywood destroy it. SOPA and PIPA down, now for ACTA.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RubyRue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
stsarina
Old 01-07-2012, 9:37 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

9am is our general time for 'noisy play' to begin. I live in flats and I wouldn't vacuum before that time either. I just wish all my neighbours were as considerate as you guys!
Team Pink! Baby girl due 25/5/14
The Following User Says Thank You to stsarina For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
pink princess
Old 01-07-2012, 10:42 AM

I think 8am on weekdays would be acceptable and then 9am at weekends but that is just my thoughts and I'm always up by 6am.

How about asking your neighbours what they find acceptable? I'm sure they would like the fact you are considering what they would like. They may well be heavy sleepers where they would not mind your lo being out at 6am.
Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
My letter "E" is mistyping, please excuse the errors
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pink princess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
raven83
Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM

I don't really let my children out before 10 am on a sunday at the earliest, as they are noisy altogether, maybe if it was just one on their own i would let them out earlier but not the 3 of them.
Raven.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

Nearly 7 stone lost since September 2012!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raven83 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
dizziblonde
Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Our consensus for noise agreed with our neighbours is 10am (their lad works nights so at least gets a couple of hours kip before the noise of the day kicks in then) - but that's something we actually worked out between ourselves.
Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dizziblonde For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
PasturesNew
Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM

10am at weekends ... hard working people only get a max of two mornings when they can have a lie-in. Maybe later on Sundays....
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PasturesNew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Auntie-Dolly
Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Slightly OT, but as children we weren't allowed to play out on Sunday afternoons as my Dad thought people were entitled to some peace & quiet.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Auntie-Dolly For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Bitsy Beans
Old 01-07-2012, 11:27 AM

I don't let mine out before 9am, think its only fair to the neighbours as my DS can be very loud
I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife Louise Brooks

All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.

Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
# 16
pmlindyloo
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink princess View Post
I think 8am on weekdays would be acceptable and then 9am at weekends but that is just my thoughts and I'm always up by 6am.

How about asking your neighbours what they find acceptable? I'm sure they would like the fact you are considering what they would like. They may well be heavy sleepers where they would not mind your lo being out at 6am.

I think this all depends on your neighbours.

If they have children themselves then it may not be so much of a problem.

If they are elderly/night workers/weekend is their only free time then it is reasonable, in my opinion, to keep noise down to a minimum.

It's all about compromise.

Out all day screaming/shouting would drive most people up the wall. Out for a short time (brought back in if 'over the top') is, to my mind, more than reasonable.

Walks, visits to the parks etc, 'gardening together', all keep the noise down. It's when kids are 'let out' with free rein and no consideration that drives me mad.

Find out from your neighbours what they deem reasonable.

Kids have to let of steam and they are often noisy. I am fairly tolerant but now I am 'kids free' I do also appreciate some peace and quiet!
The Following User Says Thank You to pmlindyloo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
BugglyB
Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I work most days except Sunday, I like to sleep until 11ish, I reckon 9am is an excellent compromise. Please though, on a Sunday, do be mindful of what noise they're making even if its the afternoon - our old neighbours lad used to play a game where he'd shout ONE, TWO, THREE, and then run round the garden being a plane. And repeat. For hours. Damn near drove me potty
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BugglyB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
I wanna live for free
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Next door's boys were screaming in the garden yesterday (so we stayed indoors) then they stopped screaming at each other so their parents both screeched at them to find out why they were quiet (they had decided to play in their sandpit instead of hitting each other with branches)

Made our plans for a peaceful afternoon in the garden vanish rapidly!

Today their mum has taken the boys out - and their dad has decided to break up the concrete base of their old shed. Which is also making the dogs on the other side bark so they're shouting at the dogs to stop barking. And because they're shouting, the dogs are barking.

It's another "peaceful" sunday here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I wanna live for free For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Kiboko
Old 01-07-2012, 3:36 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You could ask the neighbours, you might be pleasantly surprised, on the other hand if you have grumpy neighbours you might get a barrage of children should be seen and not heard On the other hand I think 9am is very reasonable, you do have the right to use your garden and most people recognise that kids need to let off steam.
# 20
*Louise*
Old 01-07-2012, 5:09 PM

I would suggest 9am during the week, 10am on a Sunday.

Although that would be just to play quietly in the garden, I wouldn't let them chap their friends' doors at that time or anything.
Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Louise* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread