Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 29th Jun 12, 4:51 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 13Thanks
    MSE Tony
    HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback
    • 29th Jun 12, 4:51 PM
    HolidaySafe Travel Insurance - Your Feedback 29th Jun 12 at 4:51 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for visiting.

We have recently added the HolidaySafe Premier travel policy to our New Travel Insurance guide.

As this insurer is a new option - offering good cover levels - your feedback is important to us.

Please let us know what you think.

Have you used or contacted them, made a claim, is it is missing anything or just general feedback on the insurer.

Hit 'Reply' to discuss or ask a question.

Thanks.

MSE Tony

If you spot a rate change that we haven't already mentioned or added into articles or tips, Please send me a PM about it

Get Martin's Free Money Saving Tips E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips
    Last edited by MSE Tony; 04-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Page 12
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 22nd Dec 16, 7:57 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    and here is Amber's reply to Anne's review.

"Dear Mrs Kerr,

Once again I am very sorry that you are dissatisfied with the service you received from our appointed claims team; Travel Claims Facilities.

We would never discuss details of a case on a public forum such as this, however claims of this nature cannot be settled with a certain amount of information. Once the claims team received the requested information the case was passed to the complaints team who were able to then pay the claim.

I am very sorry for any and all inconvenience caused by this situation, and once again I do send my sincere condolences to your family.

If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to email me.

Kind regards,

Amber"

The weird thing is, the claims department had exactly the same information when the complaint was submitted, the same Death Certificate etc etc.

But when an Official Complaint was made along with what is an upsetting story being made public on social media they suddenly relent.

If Anne had not made the Official Complaint then her family would have not received the claims payment they were contractually entitled to by virtue of their policy covering it
    • kaydee003
    • By kaydee003 2nd Jan 17, 2:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kaydee003
    Ignored and injured in Korea
    Hi there guys, I left England for a 12 month trip last January which was cut short because I was assaulted in Korea and because Holidaysafe really did nothing to help me and actually left me worse off.

I'd appreciate any advice you have on what to do with them. I'm going to contact the financial ombudsman tomorrow and have been advised to report them to Watchdog and other media.

To make a long story short, I was assaulted in South Korea in August and thrown down a very long and sharp flight of stairs. Police decided to do nothing about it, I spent days trying to get help from Holidaysafe and being told they'd be in touch, was told to go to a hospital to seek treatment, that they'd get a third party to help. Had to chase them after days (a week at times) with no response. Possibly needed an invasive procedure to fix my nose, doctor said it might be a risk to try and stay in Seoul with a non-responsive insurance company (who would pay for the surgery, where I stay in recovery, missed flights?). I returned to the UK as my policy allowed me 21 days back and during this time I wanted to get things sorted about what to do since it wasn't safe for me to be ignored the way I was abroad. Insurers keep stalling, telling me to wait for a response and then basically tell me "we won't help you now because you came back to the UK".

After being attacked it took DAYS to get anywhere with them. I was either told to call back another time as no agents were available, or that a note was made and someone would be in touch. I had pretty bad wounds all over my face, my shoulders, my jaw was clicking and I thought it had been fractured and there was a gash in the side of my right eyeball. After a few days of sitting by the phone waiting for a response and constantly refreshing the live chat feature on Holidaysafe's website, the gash and bleeding in my eye was starting to creep to the pupil.

I had a full on panic attack thinking that I was not only going to be ugly and disfigured, but also BLIND, and finally got through to someone who would (supposedly) help me. The guy called Phil, I believe, told me that he couldn't find a public hospital they had any kind of relation with that they could send me to. I read through my policy documents after the attack and they don't like you going to a private practice and there's a severe lack of any public facilities in Seoul, and only ONE place with a translator which was private, so I held off for up to two days until I could get my insurer's permission to actually get medical help.

He told me to just go into any place and get treatment, so I did.

I'd been warned beforehand though that foreign doctors will try and rip you off, so I was a bit scared as to whether I could trust the doctors, whether I had enough to pay for what I needed (or didn't). So I got to the hospital and the translator told me I'd need to see several seperate doctors and pay for each to look at my face, my eyes, my shoulders and more. I called Holidaysafe up and told them about the situation and wasn't sure if I could afford all that. They told me that I had to pay and claim back later, but if I didn't have the money for all the treatment not to worry, because they could not refuse an injured person treatment.

And then the translator told me unless I paid they definitely would refuse me treatment and my insurance company would need to get in touch with them if they wanted to help.

So off I want for a CT scan that cost me over £250, revealing that under the huge scabs on my face was dirt and I needed to get it cleaned or my face would get infections and that there was a sign of a fractured nose. I wasn't entirely sure if they were trying to take me for a ride, but I wasn't going to do anything drastic until I got some advice from the insurer first.

The doctor said he need to remove the dirt from my wounds at least, so I got jabbed with 8 shots of anasthetic, they scoured away the scabs (the nurse was screaming at the sight) and the wounds were cleaned and dressed. I was told I would have to come back again, but first I wanted a medical report and receipts, because my policy said I needed those.

I got back to the hostel and immediatley scanned and sent the report and receipts to Holidaysafe, who thanked me and told me they'd get a third party involved and would be in touch.

I'm told I can't go out in sunlight for at least 3 months, so I'm waiting for days in the hostel basement for them to get back to me, only leaving to get my bandages changed. The doctor says if a nose surgery can be risky, that I might be bedridden and if I don't have a solid place to stay it might be better to wait until I get back home, especially if my insurer isn't helping me. It was a VERY busy time in Seoul, with most guesthouses being fully booked, hiking up their prices and I was always panicking over what would happen next.

Sometimes a week went by and I got no reply and had to chase up the agents, who would just come back saying they're sorry for the delay and would get things handled asap. I wasn't planning on staying in Seoul that long waiting for my insurer to take their time not really doing anything. I got lucky that the receptionist at the hostel I was at let me sneak into the staff room to sleep whilst I waited for a response because the more expensive guesthouses were WAY out of my range and if I needed to pay upfront for a surgery I needed to save every penny.

It got to a point where I was so panic ridden and scared and missed trains to other parts of Korea that I couldn't sit about anymore. I had a flight back to the UK in October and my policy said I can return for 21 days. I decided I'd come back for a bit and get things sorted with Holidaysafe when I didn't have to worry about potentially dodgy doctors, time zone differences and wondering whether I had a place to sleep.

So I get back, get all my receipts, medical reports together and send them off for my claim and am constantly trying to get in touch with them by email and phone. It's the same case as in Korea, being told "we'll get back to you as soon as possible with an update". It starts to get close to that 21 day period and I'm not sure if I should stay put or fly off to another country with my injuries just so I don't void out my policy.

Before those 21 days are up, I get a reply from them basically saying, "well, you're back in the UK now, so it's not our problem. Speak to the claims department about it". The same claims department who kept stalling me and telling me they would contact me back. I then find out that all the original documentation I sent them (medical reports, receipts) have been lost by them!

I try everything at this point; I ask to speak to a manager, who apologises, says he's not sure what to do but he'll try to find the documents and get back to me the next day. He never called me back.

I speak to Holidaysafe who say I should speak to the claims department and make a complaint, but that's all they offer up.

I get told that the claims department doesn't have any of my documents anymore, they were lost after they signed for it (my tracking number says it was signed for) and that I need to make the claim again.

Finally, I got a letter on Wednesday from a complaints officer who tries and twists everything in the favour of the insurer.

He basically tells me that after I was attacked, the insurer was working constantly on my claim, contacting third parties but the fact nothing materialised out of this was my fault because I didn't send them a medcial report; he tells me foreign doctors can be cowboys and suggest treatment that aren't needed, so the insurer needs a medical report first to advise on treatment needed. Since I didn't bother sending it to them, it was out of their hands.

He then goes on to say that this shouldn't have stopped me from just waltzing into a hospital and getting treatment anyway since I could have claimed it back!

Absolute madness! I have proof of sending the medical report, they never once asked for it ever again, they were constantly telling me to wait for the third party to get in touch with me and never once gave me any medical advice on the situation.

The complaints officer then goes on to tell me that several emails and phone calls from them went unanswered, which is incredible. I have emails from agents apologising for not contact me after 10 days of saying they would. I actually told them that if they phone me, to send an email straight after as I'm in a foreign country and because of time zone differences and they never did.

They've basically gone and said they tried really hard to help me, but they couldn't act on my behalf because for some reason, I was having a great time sitting in the basement of a hostel at all hours, avoiding sunlight with a disfigured face, injuries and ignoring the phone calls and emails of the only people who could help me in what was definitely the darkest hours of my travel experience.

I keep thinking how unlucky I was to be with this insurer and at the same time, how lucky I am that I had a bit of money to help myself, a kind soul to put a roof over my head whilst I waited for their agents to (not) contact me back and that my injuries weren't more severe. What if my attacker didn't stop at throwing me down some stairs and I was in a more threatening situation? Could I afford to have an insurance company ignoring me and saying they were helping behind the scenes so that makes it all okay?

It's really disheartening, because if I knew this was how they would play this game, I wouldn't have come back to the UK... maybe if I stayed abroad they couldn't use the excuse that I made a return journey home (of which my policy allows) and couldn't have made up an excuse not to help me.

I wasn't planning to come back this early, I wanted to travel more and find work in Asia, but being in that situation has completely put me off going abroad again, because if you're paying good money for an insurer to help you in a bad situation and they refuse to do so and actively try to make it seem like it's YOUR fault... then why would you ever assume it's safe at all?

It's cost me so much money to hang around in Seoul for that time and even stick around in the UK waiting for them do anything about this. It's not even about the money, but the fact I was injured, am STILL injured and nothing was done about it. No medical advice except that which they will go against later. No responses until it's too late. Nothing.

My nose has actually been in pain for months now and I'm not sure what to do.
    I've been advised to report Holidaysafe to several places and just go ahead and see a doctor and seek surgery which will cost me even more months of hanging about in the UK (I don't have a job here and was supposed to get one abroad) and possibly money for the surgery.

Any ideas what other measures I should take?
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 2nd Jan 17, 3:53 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    I'm sorry to hear your story, hopefully we can help you out.

If I explain what should happen when you make such a claim eg a medical claim on a travel policy it may be easier for you and others (Including HolidaySafe) to see what should happen.

Your assault needed A&E treatment asap, normally you or a friend etc would ring the Holiday Insurer's Medical Helpline. These are manned 24/7/365 and include multilingual staff and medically trained staff or access to medically trained staff. They also have customer service staff to help.

Your call would instigate the Insurer to search for suitable local hospitals (HS like to use public hospitals eg similar to the NHS) and give you their details and is necessary arrange an ambulance eg if it was a major trauma.

They would also explain to you how the claim service works and importantly how they will handle your medical treatment.

The multilingual staff are there to liase with the foreign hospitals or Doctors Surgeries. It would be explained to you to get the emergency treatment done asap. They would also normally arrange a direct billing with the hospital for all treatments they have agreed.

They would generally want to preauthorise any non A&E treatments so the hospital would send over the medical report. If the Insurer is happy with the proposed treatment and costs they would give the go ahead.

In more complex medical claims, the medically trained staff would often speak directly with the hospital's medical staff to talk through the treatments and agree costs on the phone. They may decide that part of the treatment would be better to be carried out back in the UK

The claims dept would also explain to you what happens when you're allowed out of the hospital eg taxi costs being paid and what they were going to do about accomadation if applicable along with what would happen if a flight back to the UK was needed eg if your holiday had ended or it was medically needed.

That's what should happen, if it had happened in your claim you would have received the required medical treatment basically immediately and payment would have been agreed. This would have allowed you to recover from your injuries and the attack
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 2nd Jan 17, 3:54 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    What is your current situation?

Have you received any of your money?

Did you make an "Official Complaint" and if so what was their reply?
    • kaydee003
    • By kaydee003 2nd Jan 17, 4:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kaydee003
    Hi there dacouch, thanks for replying to me!

After the attack I did contact Holidaysafe, but it was definitely not manned 24/7. For two days I either didn't get through to anyone, reported the incident and was told someone would contact me back and they didn't, so I had to call again and was told I'd be called back again and I told them to leave me an email if my number wasn't working (never heard back) and it was a few days before anyone helped. I tried the Holidaysafe customer support livechat and they just kept giving me numbers to call which didn't help before. Often times I would stay up to 3am waiting for a call back because of the time difference but it didn't matter.

Once I had got through to someone, they did make an attempt at finding a suitable hospital, but I was quickly told I was out of luck, because apparently most people don't travel to places like Korea, so they don't really have to deal with that kind of thing. I was left to find a hospital myself, told them there was only one I could find that had a translator (I don't speak Korean and English isn't as widespread in Korea as one might think) and was told to just go there.

If there were multilingual staff working with Holidaysafe, they were very absent when I needed them; I called the emergency hotline when I was at the hospital and struggling over what I should do. I told the translator that I have insurance, but they said if I was covered for anything they would have to pay upfront. I wanted the Holidaysafe guy on the phone to speak to the translator or anyone, but he only spoke English and explained to me that they wouldn't be covering me and that I had to pay upfront for treatment and claim back later. He also told me that even if the costs became too high and I couldn't afford the treatment, the hospital couldn't turn me away... which was very wrong; they refused to even look at me until I paid all fees upfront, let alone give me treatment.

I was pretty concerned over what I should pay for and whether I was being taken for a ride, hence why I called the insurer up. This hospital wouldn't give a medical report until treatment had been paid for and even made me pay for the medical report... but the operator on the phone just seemed fine with it as long as I just got it done and paid for myself. They were incredibly unhelpful and I really pushed for some advice in the hospital but didn't really get it.

I would have been over the moon if someone spoke to the doctors there about what I needed; it would have put my mind at ease and avoided this whole thing in the first place. I also would have been more sure if I should have got my shoulders treated; they were also wounded. But the person on the phone and everyone involved on the insurer's side just seemed to want as little involvement as possible from the start, probably because as the agent said before, they don't really have a lot of experience of dealing with Korean hospitals and weren't willing to figure things out with me.

The claims department didn't tell me anything about what to do if I needed to stay in Korea, which would have meant I needed a place to stay, that I would miss flights to other countries (including the UK), how I would afford this or how to proceed. They just told me they would speak to a third parties to make sure I don't incur any further fees and then basically went dark on me (and would later say I should have just gone and got treatment either way whilst also saying I should have waited for their assesment which they never gave).

I agree with your post that all you wrote is what should have happened and to be honest, it's what I pictured happening... but as soon as I got to the hospital I knew I was screwed and in this alone and it was only going to get worse. I imagined getting to the hospital, speaking with the doctors, calling up the emergency hotline and having it all handled and settled there and then... it's sensible and logical, right? But it's not what happened, it got dragged out (as one of the agents said himself in an email to me), confused and being made out to be completely my fault now

What is your current situation?

Have you received any of your money?

Did you make an "Official Complaint" and if so what was their reply?
    Originally posted by dacouch
    • Current situation is that my nose is still fractured/broken/in pain...
    • My policy covered me for a return trip back to the UK for 21 days, but before that time was up the insurer told me they wouldn't do anything for coming back at all.
    • The insurer kept telling me to wait for months to sort out my claim only to say they lost all my documentation
    • I did get money back for the cleaning of my wounds and the CT scan afer 2 months of putting in my claim (but didn't get the surgery I needed because the insurer didn't contact me)
    • After they lost my documents I made a complaint to Holidaysafe who said someone would be in touch (nobody contacted me back) and with the claims department. Last week I got a letter from the complaints officer saying the case is closed and everything is my fault because they required a medical report and I didn't send one (I did send it and they never asked for it again following that), that they had made attempts to contact me (I have emails from agents apologising for not doing anything) and the hypocritical advice that I should have thrown caution to the wind and just went and got treatment the insurer didn't approve of (because they apparently didn't get a medical report) and claimed back later... whilst at the same time saying that would be a bad idea since foreign doctors would inflate prices and suggest treatment I didn't need.
    The complains officer basically put all fault on me, said Holidaysafe did everything they should have and if I don't like it, I can go complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

It seems to me that they're only equipped in dealing with really touristy places where they can suggest a hospital and just have doctors contact them or whatever, but in cases like South Korea where they have little experience, they don't know what to do, think their previous knowledge applies to that country (it doesn't), they want little involvement, give little help... and then at the end told me because I was in the UK it didn't involve them anymore and after making a complaint tried to make it out that they did more than they did and didn't get information I sent, saying they required a medical report (that I sent) and that all the documentation I sent to them for my claim went missing...
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 2nd Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    I would recommend that you issue Holiday Safe and also their claims company with a SAR (Subject Access Report)

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-6-rights/subject-access-request/

Particuarly point out you want all emails received by them and all emails sent by them.

It will cost you a maximum of £10

If they are telling porkies about the emails this will show up.

Your move after that would be a complaint to the Ombudsman which unfortunately is not quick but I suspect as well as siding with you, the FOS will also award you some compensation. It won't be enough to retire on but I would guess in the region of £250 and £500

Are you able to receive the treatment you require in the UK?

Holiday Safe's rep Amber will be on tomorrow to try and get you off MSE, by all means give her the chance to rectify their mistakes. But I recommend you read the previous complaint on this thread to see how they rectified her problem.

You need to work out what solution you expect from Amber so if you want compensation whether your prepared to accept whatever she offers (If anything).
  • Holidaysafe Representative
    Hi kaydee003,

I am so sorry to hear about your attack, and that you were dissatisfied by the service you received from our appointed Claims and Emergency Assistance teams.

I would like to investigate your case as a matter of urgency - to allow me to do this can you please send me your policy or claims number to Holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Amber
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • kaydee003
    • By kaydee003 3rd Jan 17, 10:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kaydee003
    I would recommend that you issue Holiday Safe and also their claims company with a SAR (Subject Access Report)

Particuarly point out you want all emails received by them and all emails sent by them.

It will cost you a maximum of £10

If they are telling porkies about the emails this will show up.

Your move after that would be a complaint to the Ombudsman which unfortunately is not quick but I suspect as well as siding with you, the FOS will also award you some compensation. It won't be enough to retire on but I would guess in the region of £250 and £500

Are you able to receive the treatment you require in the UK?

Holiday Safe's rep Amber will be on tomorrow to try and get you off MSE, by all means give her the chance to rectify their mistakes. But I recommend you read the previous complaint on this thread to see how they rectified her problem.

You need to work out what solution you expect from Amber so if you want compensation whether your prepared to accept whatever she offers (If anything).
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Thank you so much for all your help! I'll do everything you said right away and have a think about a solution... really all I want (and have wanted) is the necessary assistance and to get the treatment I need, to recover and get well and on with my life... rather than be blanked, sit in the basement of a hostel in a city I wanted to move on from (especially after being assaulted), worry about whether I'd have a place to stay or the money to afford everything and cut my trip short and have 3 months of my insurance that I paid for vanish.

Left the UK for certain reasons and coming back, especially so early and for so long was never an ideal situation for me, so I really hope things can get sorted out now.

Bought the insurance for peace of mind, to protect myself and not so much about money or posessions but my health (I lost a lot of physical items but didn't mind too much). But trying to get this handled has really ruined my travel and the last 4/5 months have been a nightmare.
    Last edited by kaydee003; 03-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 4th Jan 17, 4:01 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    I would initially give Amber the chance to help you, she has more power than the customer service staff to resolve problems and direct contact with the relevant people. That's the power of social media.

If you're not happy with what Amber comes up with then you can hit them with the SARS and the Ombudsman etc.

If I were you I would set a (Realistic) target for Amber to resolve the matter and have in mind what your ideal resolution is etc. Then if she offers you X and you want Z you can negotiate

P.S Your health is important, it may be an idea to pop into your normal GP to make sure they happy with your healing etc
    Last edited by dacouch; 04-01-2017 at 4:03 PM.
    • poundsign
    • By poundsign 16th Jan 17, 9:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    poundsign
    I purchased a Policy last summer with Holidaysafe and regretfully needed to make a claim. I have posted on this thread twice with updates of my experience of using this company. It has taken 6 months so far to try and resolve a claim for cash that was in a handbag snatched while on holiday. They have already refused to pay for all of the other contents including the passport.
    The latest update is that the cash has to be either on your person or in a locked safe when it is stolen or you are not covered. Surely then that means in a pocket (?) how many women actually carry cash on their person and not in a purse or handbag. We will be taking this one to the Onbudsman excuse after excuse.
    This cheap company should be avoided at all costs.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 16th Jan 17, 9:50 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    Your previous post

Beware of buying any policy with Holidays safe. I bought the premier cover and am having to make a claim as my handbag was snatched while on holiday. The bag contained my passport, phone, kindle, purse, cards, make up, cash, cards and sunglasses. Apparently you have to buy extra gadget cover to be able to claim for the kindle and phone which was not evident when I bought this several months ago.
    You also have to provide receipts as proof of purchase for every single thing you claim for. Most of the items are not new so the chance of still having a receipt is slim and many (e.g. the kindle, sunglasses and the actual bag) were gifts. In order to claim I now have to provide bank and credit card statements from my family to support the claim and they will only prove a purchase was made from a shop on a specific day not what the purchase was. Even with these the assessor may reject the claim. Without these I can only claim £150 less the 60 excess, the net sum of £90.00 wont even cover the cost of the emergency passport.
    Originally posted by poundsign
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71058194#post71058194
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 16th Jan 17, 9:52 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    If you could give us some more information we can try and help you.

How was the handbag stolen eg were you mugged or was it stolen while at your feet at a restaurant etc?

Have you made an "Official Complaint" to Holiday Safe and if si what was their answer
    Hi poundsign,

Once again I am very sorry that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your claim. If you could email your details to Holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk I can take a look for you and liaise with the claim and complaints teams.

Kind regards,

Amber (Holidaysafe Brand Manager)
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 17th Jan 17, 5:44 PM
    • 20,162 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    dacouch
    Hi poundsign,

Once again I am very sorry that you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your claim. If you could email your details to Holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk I can take a look for you and liaise with the claim and complaints teams.

Kind regards,

Amber (Holidaysafe Brand Manager)
    Originally posted by Holidaysafe Representative
    I have a feeling Poundsign won't be taking up your offer (Again)

Hi Poundsign,

Thank you for your review, my name is Amber and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that you are dissatisfied by our claims policies regarding lost possessions.

If you would like to email me your policy details to holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk, I will liaise with the Claims team on your behalf and assist you through the claims process.

Kind regards,

Amber
    Originally posted by Holidaysafe Representative
    The reply to your post in August was in December...

Dear Amber

After several months you have declined the claim made, we have appealed but guess what you still have not replied.
    Originally posted by poundsign
    Poundsign you appear to have gone through the "Official Complaint" process and Amber's process.

If you can give us some more information we can probably help you. The Ombudsman tends to be very fair and has a fairly broad and sensible approach to what is actually on your person.

As an example here are some cases the FOS have dealt with

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/114/114-mobile-phones.html
    • anitagibbs
    • By anitagibbs 17th Mar 17, 1:22 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anitagibbs
    New medical condition
    Last October I booked a holiday in this country in June for my sister and myself, and on the same day took out standard single trip travel insurance with Holidaysafe, declaring all existing medical conditions for us both.

In January I suffered what the consultant said he felt must be treated as a probable TIA as I had experienced some speech dysphasia, although all tests were entirely normal. I was prescribed anti-platelet medication and statins.

I was recently looking through the paperwork for the holiday, and noticed this in the Holidaysafe policy documents:

"If your health or your ongoing medication changes between the date the policies were bought and the date of travel you must advise Travel Administration Facilities as soon as possible on 0203 829 6765.

We will advise you what cover we are able to provide, after the date of diagnosis. We reserve the right to increase the premium, increase the excess, exclude the condition or withdraw the cover should the stability of the condition make it necessary.”

It didn’t occur to me that I needed to tell them as I thought that any new medical condition that couldn’t have been anticipated at the time the travel insurance was taken out would be covered. Surely that’s why we take out insurance!

Can they really increase the premium or the excess, exclude the condition, or withdraw the cover? If so I shan’t bother with travel insurance in future as we are both in our 70s, an age when it’s quite likely that new health problems will develop, and we only ever holiday in the UK, so cover for flight delays, loss of passport, medical treatment, emergency repatriation etc doesn’t apply, just cancellation.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 17th Mar 17, 3:10 AM
    • 32,078 Posts
    • 16,155 Thanks
    Quentin
    That condition is normal, and they can do what it says.

If they decide not to continue cover you will be able to cancel your trip and claim the cancellation costs
    Dear anitagibbs,

Thank you for your post, my name is Amber and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

If you like I would be more than happy to arrange for one of my colleagues to call you and discuss this? Simply send your details to holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk and I can arrange a call back today or next week.

Kind regards,

Amber
    • anitagibbs
    • By anitagibbs 18th Mar 17, 9:52 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anitagibbs
    Thanks for the clarification, Quentin.

I don't want to cancel my holiday. If they decide not to continue cover I'll go ahead without insurance. I trust they will refund my premium?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 18th Mar 17, 5:18 PM
    • 32,078 Posts
    • 16,155 Thanks
    Quentin
    Check the policy wording to see what happens if they cancel regarding refunds of premium.
    Last edited by Quentin; 18-03-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    • anitagibbs
    • By anitagibbs 18th Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anitagibbs
    Surely if they decide not to continue cover it's them cancelling not me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,643Posts Today

6,568Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin